Strafe Jump Needs To Go!

tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
This is probably the most damaging mech to be re-introduced into ns2. I can jump away from aliens on public all day long and in competitive it makes it even harder to kill marines with already brilliant micro positioning and aim.
Its not needed, its not fun and it ruins the alien experience for alot of casual players. BIN IT.

Comments

• OkxydOkxyd Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143981Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you are a cyborg, probably. Btw: yeah, ninja marines + lose of the old alien vision made the game hard as fuck when you fight an experienced marine player. Don't know which alternative there is but actually it´s more ridiculous than ever. In fact strafe jump is one of these old marines mechanics from NS1 which survive to his sequel but are not very coherent with the more slow paced gameplay. Actually I'm not for a"REMOVE THIZ SHIT NOW" but I think UWE should definitely test an alternative move like a dodge or something like that.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Why stop at strafe jumps? Why not jumps all-together?
    We don't need jumps!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    Why stop at strafe jumps? Why not jumps all-together?
    We don't need jumps!

Yeah! And remove jetpacks!
    An while we're at it, remove walking as well! Turrets are way better than marines anyway!
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Playing for a while now it does seem a bit OTT, doesn't feel like it requires a lot of effort to keep the skulk at bay. Even if they get the drop on me a quick direction change and all that sneaky work is for naught.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    One does not simply,
    Strafe jump.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited August 2013
    i've not played much for a couple of months, managed to squeeze a few hours in post-update and i did feel like it was 10 times harder to land a successful bite.

after a few hours i've just adjusted to predict and time bites better... now i have little problem hitting 'jumpy' marines.

the kills are more rewarding too, because it's not a braindead hold left-mouse job. the marine thought he could dodge, he thought he could escape - but you bit him out of the air like a boss.
  • FrustrationFrustration Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180628Members
    RadimaX wrote: »
    tallhotblonde i outjumped 3 skulks for more than an entire minute in reactor core when i was out of ammo and commander did not support. After a while he noticed im still alive and jumping he dropped ammo and i even had time to reload my rifle and kill 2 of them until a gorge showed up and healed the last skulk and me to death! :) i wish i had recorded it because it felt like i was alive for ages. But i still think a video example is just what is needed to provide proof and insight of the current state of strafe jumping. Maby you could record some later today for this topic.

I´m boiling with hate towards this guy.You better not play on goddamn rookie servers.I´ve seen your damn jumping bullshit.How the **** do you even know when and where to jump when everything is so damn chaotic.You can´t possibly predict any movement while 3 skulks are jumping everywhere.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    RadimaX wrote: »
    tallhotblonde i outjumped 3 skulks for more than an entire minute in reactor core when i was out of ammo and commander did not support. After a while he noticed im still alive and jumping he dropped ammo and i even had time to reload my rifle and kill 2 of them until a gorge showed up and healed the last skulk and me to death! :) i wish i had recorded it because it felt like i was alive for ages. But i still think a video example is just what is needed to provide proof and insight of the current state of strafe jumping. Maby you could record some later today for this topic.

I´m boiling with hate towards this guy.You better not play on goddamn rookie servers.I´ve seen your damn jumping bullshit.How the **** do you even know when and where to jump when everything is so damn chaotic.You can´t possibly predict any movement while 3 skulks are jumping everywhere.

It had to be rookies if none of them was clever enough to just go the other way around (in reactor).
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited August 2013

i think i play 1 of 15 games as marine because its not any challenge even with 15 aliens at the same team but its mostly random most times so if you take the reactor core incident and have 2 on one side and 1 on the other i tend to jump towards the lone skulk, and instead of strafe backwards exactly all jumps (Easy to predict as alien so they catch up and kill you) try jump OVER the one skulk coming at you That way you will have all 3 at the same side again so you can start over from scratch and enjoy a longer dance. also to answer your question i am admin and only play 100% on the [UK] 32 slot server #1 - there is hundreds of servers and no one is forced to play on THAT one in particular so try stay away from it you dont like to dance :)

I never joined it. The name is scary.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I agree and support the OPs opinion.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    This is probably the most damaging mech to be re-introduced into ns2. I can jump away from aliens on public all day long and in competitive it makes it even harder to kill marines with already brilliant micro positioning and aim.
    Its not needed, its not fun and it ruins the alien experience for alot of casual players. BIN IT.

It's not the strafe move that is the problem. It's the 1 on 1 overall mechanic that is.
    -Alien have a different view so tracking becomes awful as he gets "disturbances" in the screen. Teeth rack...
    -Lag issue, it look like they teleport (not even talking about (VCR-rewind, lag, dead), even with good pings. You see more the "turn around dance".
    -Gnarling...

I do believe when you have a skulk biting an ass or a leg is like a bear trap... Why on earth does the marines isn't slowed down ?
    *Especially when
    -The marine never saw it coming.
    -The skulk land a proper set of bites.

The marine counter would be to use secondary attack to "unlock the situation" for the second bite. Would be fair and less depending on lag. Which is really an issue right now.

This would force marine to pay attention a little more and or get the teammate to 'cover'. I rarely see on NS2 a marine covering the other one that is welding something.

• tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you are gunna press the disagree button at least explain why guys. They got rid of strafe jump after the BT mod and I can't work out why they have brought it back. I'm not saying marines aren't alowed to jump away in an attempt to evade but at its current speed and distance it does nothing positive to the general gameplay experiance and I can assure you that competitive players won't miss it.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Imbaxlax wrote: »
    "micro positioning"? Is this a thing now?

It's been a thing since 2003 mate :) it's all about where you stand in the room for maximum coverage of team mates with maximum distance between you and incoming skulks -micro positioning.
  • ImbaxlaxImbaxlax Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186656Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Imbaxlax wrote: »
    "micro positioning"? Is this a thing now?

It's been a thing since 2003 mate :) it's all about where you stand in the room for maximum coverage of team mates with maximum distance between you and incoming skulks -micro positioning.

Oh ok cool. Soz, my micro position isn't up to scratch because I'm always focusing on my weapon macro and click control. I don't even want to talk about my button modulation!

• CJoker3221CJoker3221 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165521Members
    Need a stamina bar for dem jumps
  • DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
  • inveigleinveigle Join Date: 2004-01-07 Member: 25117Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Kamamura wrote: »
    I agree and support the OPs opinion.
    Agreed.

• NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Obviously the ability to strafe must now be a paid DLC.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Aliens were winning 70% of games because they were easy to play. People bitched about it, so now it's getting rebalanced to make aliens hard to play. We're going to have marine stomps going on for awhile till everyone learns how to play aliens again. Don't expect to be able to solo skulk anymore. Marines can't solo, and now aliens can't either.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    I really don't want to be that guy, but this comes down to simply being a l2p issue. Alien winrate was 70-30 before, marines clearly needed to be more mobile in order to keep up in engagements. Now they are, and in my opinion things are more balanced there. Yes, it's an adjustment you have to make, but unless you are a fan of 70-30 winrates it's an adjustment that's worth making.
    Yeah, let's make the most basic, fundamental combat mechanics the whole game stands upon a chaotic, unpredictable mess of blurry turns and friends and foes blinking in and out of view at random. That will make the game insanely attractive. Little things like this, together with creeping featurism like the super-intuitive rule "you are not getting any res for a minute while jumped out of the chair". Why? Because!

Combat was fast paced, before this change and after it. That's just the way this game is designed. Adding this new strafe function does not make combat significantly more chaotic than it was before.

And the no res rule is entirely unrelated to this conversation, not sure why you're even bringing it up
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I really don't want to be that guy, but this comes down to simply being a l2p issue. Alien winrate was 70-30 before, marines clearly needed to be more mobile in order to keep up in engagements. Now they are, and in my opinion things are more balanced there. Yes, it's an adjustment you have to make, but unless you are a fan of 70-30 winrates it's an adjustment that's worth making.
    Yeah, let's make the most basic, fundamental combat mechanics the whole game stands upon a chaotic, unpredictable mess of blurry turns and friends and foes blinking in and out of view at random. That will make the game insanely attractive. Little things like this, together with creeping featurism like the super-intuitive rule "you are not getting any res for a minute while jumped out of the chair". Why? Because!

Combat was fast paced, before this change and after it. That's just the way this game is designed. Adding this new strafe function does not make combat significantly more chaotic than it was before.

And the no res rule is entirely unrelated to this conversation, not sure why you're even bringing it up

nope... it was 60/40% depending on who plays of course. In clanplay... marines are pretty efficient. I would say 50/50%.

I do think it would be better to make a weight system for calculations.
    A game as a PCW is far more organized than a public game. Unfortunately there are more public games than in clans. So the stats will never be accurate this way. Having a weight system that will give a little more weight to clan game. why not ?
This discussion has been closed.