Do you really expect to raise $550k?

Comments

• BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Bicsum wrote: »
    Bacillus wrote: »
    If UWE is going to keep funding this way, it might be a good idea to keep the updates smaller. Right now I like the basic idea of Reinforced system, but the way it was launched and the iffy parts of the content make me feel really uneasy on paying for it. Regardless of whether I donate something to it or not, I feel like half of my monetary feedback is lost.

If the content updates were smaller, I could give more direct feedback on what kind of content I want to fund. For example I have no problem in donating 5 bucks for a polished and well designed map - That sends a clear message to the devs.

I guess another option would be to allow the donator to 'share' their donation to various elements in a bigger update. For example in Reinforced Shadow donation you could put 15 bucks to Biodome, 5 for good QA, 10 for tutorials and spread the rest among some features you like.

Sounds like a good idea. Similiar to the humble bundle sliders where you can decide where the money should go.

Yeah, something similar to Humble Bundle is probably the way it should go.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I payed around 3.5 cent per hour of game-time until now. I don't need to think about increasing it to 10 cent per hour by buying the shadow pack. Not at all if you think how much you pay per hour cinema.
  • UlmontUlmont Join Date: 2011-10-02 Member: 125211Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Charlie, Hugh, and all the other folks; I just wanted to say a hearty thank you for all the amazing things you've done for the community and for continuing to support the game, and that I would gladly pay another $75 on top of what I've spent already regardless of any perks.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    I payed around 3.5 cent per hour of game-time until now. I don't need to think about increasing it to 10 cent per hour by buying the shadow pack. Not at all if you think how much you pay per hour cinema.

Including NS1 ? I made that 'average' too. Including the price i paid for the game. It's really low. In France the average cinema is ~10€ (~13 $ US) a movie. Compared to cinema? NS is Far better.

I made the donation considering that playing freely for about 10+ years NS1, and now NS2. It's ok to give something. It's not like i buy a DVD or a game "box" (i don't see inside), and when i open the box and use it i feel it's a "swindling".

And you're talking about 'cents', right ? I can understand that young ppl don't have much money. But ... it's 'cents' per hours.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh... right. NS1 not included. I don't even know how many hours I have played it.

But yes, it is cents. You couldn't even drive to any fun - location for this price.
  • RedrimRedrim Join Date: 2012-09-20 Member: 160112Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just have one quick question on reinforcment program - do you need to enter e-mail on which I have forum registrtion? Or can I choose any e-mail address?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Thanks for making this thread. I've been away at a conference for a few days and missed a lot of the updates. I might not have known about the reinforced programme had I not seen this thread.

Happily awaiting my shadow upgrades :)
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    does anyone have purchased the shadow pack? when i activated the keys there was only a key for the assault marine armor but not for the elite marine armor. is that normal? there was also a key for shadow dlc, maybe the armor is included there >:D<
  • dscTobidscTobi Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187258Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pre-ordered NS2 in 2009. Now it's time to support devs one more time :)>-
  • SlowLeftySlowLefty Join Date: 2011-02-13 Member: 81653Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    For anyone else who like me wondered WTF this thread was about, it was burried in the full release news:

http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/reinforced-expansion-released/

Which explains a multi-level donation scheme:

http://www.naturalselection2.com/reinforced/
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    kais_4 wrote: »
    Martigen, I can confirm you stole the last Onos Tier that I so desperately wanted!! Curse you to oblivion!! :P I must admit a part of me secretly almost wanted to buy the $8000 option just to visit UWE haha..
    Heh, actually I got in when it said 22/25 I think. But yeah I think they sold out within a few hours. I wouldn't be miffed at all if they upped the Onos count and made more available. It's still pretty rare considering.

Runteh wrote: »
    I am surprised that no e-mail has been sent out in regard to this patch, discount and free weekend. Awareness is so important.

This. A thousand times this. Talk to the media Charlie, I didn't get a heads-up in my inbox.

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I'm hoping to get a badge soon :}
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited August 2013
    aYos wrote: »
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    I'll ask him later about his fps on those games.

Both games were well advanced for their day, Crysis maps were HUGE compared to NS2 maps so it naturally would be more graphically demanding.

As for Battlefield 3, the maps on that game are insanely huge and the engine is optimised enough to supports 64 concurrent players.

NS2 is designed to officially only support 24, unofficially, best it can do is 32, half that of BF3 on significantly smaller maps too.

NS2 may be a indie game but they could of focused on engine optimisation instead of new features since the games release.

I'm not claiming to be video game designer, but you clearly do not know what you are talking about.

What ever you say, i ain't going to argue all day.

Natural Selection 2 is one of the most unoptimised games since since Black Ops.
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was suprised all onos badges where gone so early. Wish they had more badges. And more different ones. Like skulk, gorge, lerk, fade and onos badge. Where skulk is the cheapest and onos is more expensive then it is now.
    Like pay 1000 and you get a black onos :)
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    This just seems wrong, the implication of raising all the money via donation implies that sales arnt funding the game... Shouldn't some portion of past present and future sales contribute to the cost of the company?

People are buying the game as a work in progress as such while a bulk of my money is paying you for work you have done, some of it is for work you will be doing.

Every one who buys after today is buying "NS2 reinforced" so they are also paying for you past 6 months worth of work... Arnt they?

Side note I'm a black armor supporter with the intention of buying shadow, I have loved NS for 10+ years and have 3k+ hours between ns1/ns2. So I'm ok with the idea of giving them some money in gratitude. But this whole campaign seems more like an ultimatum... Don't like that.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've sort of advocated the addition of an ingame store with microtransactions in the style of a MOBA, cosmetic skins and such but this reinforced program is really suitable for the type of game NS2 and it's a smart idea.

I don't think UWE has created this program with the realistic intention and goal of reaching 550k, it might state it but I see it as more of an optimal goal just like how kickstarter goals are setup. I see reinforced as a method and process for passionate members of the community to give something back to fund development support. When I get my uni loan, I'll most likely be paying a bit because I've got more enjoyment out of this game for £18 than I ever would have dreamed. While I have my criticisms of the game, it's one of the best FPS I've played in years.

What the OP needs to remember about this community is that the majority that will be aware of the program are also most likely to be very passionate and involved members of both the community and the game. Just based on this thread is evident, so many people have shadow already!
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I think once people see the shadow skulk in game, there will be more exposure for it naturally. Lots of people wanted to buy the black armor long after it was no longer available.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    I wont be funding anything. Personallt id rather spend 75 on other games. Nothing personal its just how i allocate my free cash.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    I'll be the first one to say "I told you so" to all the people who disagreed with my post when , after some time passes, they still haven't reached $550k.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    As far as I can see this website is the only place to go to [...]. Reinforced is out, the program is out and i didn't even get an email, asking for my support. I wish UWE all the money in the world, I truly hope they succeed with that reversed kickstarting, but as I see it chances are rather slim. Maybe UWE have some tricks up their sleeves...

Dear UWE,
    please take a hint (strike that, take A DOZEN HINTS) from Star Citizen --> https://robertsspaceindustries.com/
    Due to the release of the Hangar Module, Roberts Space industries is back @ raising $124,000 (sic!) in a mere day and I don't even wanna guess how much will be raised today...

1.) Put the counter right on the top of the front page
    2.) Get better at putting your texts and videos directly on Steam, where ALL players might read it. There was news recently that Valve opened it up for developers to post more freely.

Seriously, UWE... if I hadn't read the Reinforcement post and dug through the whole text for a link, I still would have NO CLUE about your reinforcement program.
    l08l.jpg

PS: Guess what happens @ 1000 hours? :D
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I already bought a Special Edition years ago I don't want to buy another special edition of the same game however many years on. It starts to feel like you're renting the game. For me personally the ns2 mods were really important when it came to the longevity of NS2. Basically the NS2 mods are dead in terms of playerbase, servers, or development being broken with every patch.
  • AchillesAchilles Join Date: 2013-04-20 Member: 184907Members
    +1 for better promotion of reinforced. Had no clue until clicking on a link thrown up by another savvy forum member! :/
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Star Wars Empire at War *yay*

Yes, taking a look at Star Citizen surely would help^^

But somehow I like how the reinforced program proves that the game is not dying yet, a feel which I had recently a bit...
  • IdlerayIdleray Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Two UWE mistakes:

1. Not putting Reinforcement Program link in big noticeable letters on the main game screen so people don't have to dig through the front page to find it.

2. Having no level between Onos badge and Shadow badge. So basically I would have felt comfortable donating $200+, but when I came on the Onos badges were already sold out and the next level was..... $8000. LOL

UWE if you really are motivated to succeed I'd like to see you try harder to get every bit of funding you can. Do you want my money or not? I have alot of loyalty for NS2 but if you're not gonna doing everything you can to grow this community then I'm taking my enthusiasm elsewhere.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    No, no, you priced the red badge all wrong!
    The Number of the Onos is clearly $666 >:)
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Res wrote: »
    I'll be the first one to say "I told you so" to all the people who disagreed with my post when , after some time passes, they still haven't reached $550k.

$$$ Still growing though.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Onos badges aside, the average price being paid to the "reinforced" goal is around $65 each. Given UWs cost of $3000/day, it will take around 45 (new) contributors per day to keep NS2 development going. I don't think this is unreasonable, as long as performance and content upgrades keep coming.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited August 2013
    Racer1 wrote: »
    Onos badges aside, the average price being paid to the "reinforced" goal is around $65 each. Given UWs cost of $3000/day, it will take around 45 (new) contributors per day to keep NS2 development going. I don't think this is unreasonable, as long as performance and content upgrades keep coming.

Not sure what calculator you used for your math, but excluding the Onos badges, the average is, rounding up, $57 per contributor.

Also, where are you getting $3,000/day? Unless you are just arbitrarily giving 6 months for them to reach $550k?

This discussion has been closed.