Let Gorges build both tunnel Entrances and Exits

ScuzballScuzball Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20657Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
Currently after building both an entrance and exit, the next build order will destroy the entrance and link to the old exit.

Simply adding the option to build/replace an Exit instead would allow gorges to keep their Entrance where they like it.

Seems like a pretty nice quality of life for simply adding a button

Comments

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Tempting but too powerful in terms of troops deployment.

Ex:
    Gorge make entry at departure and exit at Locker.
    4 skulks go locker
    Gorge get in locker's vent and go behind cafet. Gorge build entry (cafet locker)
    2 skulks go bar while 2 go cafet
    -> The perfect ambush situation.
    Marines will not be able to push on bar (at door) while defending their backs. This is gonna be difficult to balance. Gorge becomes the Tunnel man.

It would be ok is one entrance was destroyed but it is already the case. Building a new tunnel entrance will connect to the other entrance (whatever the building order). Tunnel is really powerful as it is. Players in public servers just don't use it "boldly" enough.

Same goes for multiple gorges building one tunnel.

While i think tunnel needs some improvements (on walls), this would clearly bring balance issues.
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't get what you're saying @UncleCrunch. What's different in that scenario from what we have right now?
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Uncle means 1 gorge could use it to 'deploy' skulks on 2 or more locations, easy and fast, without having to go back to the hive (to make a new entrance point).
    That would make it a very powerfull tactical tool.

When i think about it a bigger balance problem is the pushing power it has:
    make a tunnel, take the next room, make a next (forward) tunnel, push the next room etc.
    Aliens would have a constant flow of players from their hive, always using the same tunnelentrance, hardly any traveltime and just pushing the marines off the map.
    Imba / OP
  • stibaerstibaer Join Date: 2013-07-25 Member: 186398Members
    Gorges should be able to decide if the entrance or exit gets replaced. It works well in tf2 without beeing op and it would work well in ns2. Additionally the commander should be able to shift gorgetunnels.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Given that it costs money to build each entrance, I don't see this being over powered. If the devs don't want to add another UI option, an alternative implementation would be to replace the nearest gorge tunnel (built by that gorge).
  • stibaerstibaer Join Date: 2013-07-25 Member: 186398Members
    edited August 2013
    Both solutions sound nice. Personally I prefer the freedom to choose, which one should be replaced. It works well with the engineers teleporter entrance and exit in team fortress 2 and it would work well in ns2.

And dont forget. Unlike phasegates you have a delay while entering the tunnel, walking through the tunnel and exiting the tunnel.
    I wouldnt like if gorgetunnels would work like phasegates without delay, means you enter it and instantly leave on the other side. But at least all gorgetunnells should have sideorads to the other tunnels. A tunnelnetwork. Maybe the com could even get a nydus worm building in the base to dig into the enemys base ^^

Another change I would like to see is, that aliens can use phasegates and build cloggs/hydras/webs inside the tunnelnetwork. Tunnelnetwork would also createa 2nd layer of the map inside the map.