[Solved Linux] Cant connect to any server

PurgePurge Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187172Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited August 2013 in Technical Support
First :

I am so happy that NS2 gets Linux port :)

But I cant connect to any server :(

I get this error : "Your game files do not match the server's.Try verifying your game cache in Steam , or maybe an update just came out "

After reinstalling and verifying the error still appears :/

I read that the mods can be the Problem. So I deactivated all. But i cant unsubcribe and i cant delete the mods :/

Comments

• wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Id like to add that i am experiencing the same issue and will be monitoring this thread closely.
  • SkvateSkvate Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9892Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited August 2013
    Same issue here. Also i cannot seem to get the game working locally either. I only get a black screen.

Edit: Works great after starting steam with "LANG=en_US steam". I get descent FPS with most stuff turned low or off. GJ UWE!!!!!!!111!!
  • coinecoine Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58631Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Skvate wrote: »
    Same issue here. Also i cannot seem to get the game working locally either. I only get a black screen.

Edit: Works great after starting steam with "LANG=en_US steam". I get descent FPS with most stuff turned low or off. GJ UWE!!!!!!!111!!

Im on OpenSuse 12.3. Also got black screen after the map has loaded. Where did you put "LANG=en_US steam"?

• tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    coine wrote: »
    Im on OpenSuse 12.3. Also got black screen after the map has loaded. Where did you put "LANG=en_US steam"?

open up a console/terminal and enter 'LANG=en_US /usr/bin/steam&' and press enter.

What that does is, setting the LANG variable to en_US (basically telling (in this case) steam that it is running on a computer with an US American region setting so that a . in a number get's treated as a ,) for just this console session (meaning, it only applies to stuff happening inside the terminal). The second part /usr/bin/steam tells the console (or bash/shell) to execute a certain file, in this case, Steam, which's binary is located in /usr/bin. The 3rd part (added by me), the &, tells the console to run the program in 'background', if you wouldn't do that, there'd be a lot of stuff printed out onto your terminal window.
  • coinecoine Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58631Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    tuxator wrote: »
    coine wrote: »

open up a console/terminal and enter 'LANG=en_US /usr/bin/steam&' and press enter.

What that does is, setting the LANG variable to en_US (basically telling (in this case) steam that it is running on a computer with an US American region setting so that a . in a number get's treated as a ,) for just this console session (meaning, it only applies to stuff happening inside the terminal). The second part /usr/bin/steam tells the console (or bash/shell) to execute a certain file, in this case, Steam, which's binary is located in /usr/bin. The 3rd part (added by me), the &, tells the console to run the program in 'background', if you wouldn't do that, there'd be a lot of stuff printed out onto your terminal window.

It worked and thank you for a very good explanation :)
  • PurgePurge Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187172Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    it worked :D Thanks a lot @ tuxator.