Why is performance down?

zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
edited August 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I wonder why performance is so low? Why game and levels load much longer? The overall sluggish feel?
And i see no devs commenting on (known) performance issues.

It's like i'm playing the same game on an old computer.
NS2 ran blazingly smooth on my pc, always. Never had to tweak or anything.
Now the game plays sluggish, RAW input on/off, vsync off, dx9, dx11 and opengl don't fix it. Even the Menu is sluggish.

Dx9: The game plays and feels sluggish. Loading times seem the same.
Dx11: The game seems to be a tad more smooth, but the fps is still low. Game, menu and levels take ages to load.
Opengl: More than half the textures are gone and fps is low.

Win7 64. 3770k 3.5Ghz. Gtx570. 16Gb low latency ram. OS on SSD, games on separate SSD (All Samsung 830).

Comments

• OuchOfDeathOuchOfDeath Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182825Members
    DX9 has serious input lag issues. It's what gives it the sluggish feel. FPS seem to be the same.
    DX11 has input lag issues as well but not as severe. The FPS is somewhat lower though. DX11 also has a lot of stuttering issues which contribute to the game feeling unresponsive and uneven.
    OpenGL is broken on a lot of drivers. Some people can run it fine if they turn off some settings like bloom, ambient occlusions. I can run it on low settings with no graphical corruption, but the performance is quite bad. Maybe half as fast as DX9 if I could throw out a quick estimate. Seems to have the least input lag out of what people have been saying. The FPS is too low compared to the other renderers for me to really tell.
  • RationalgazeRationalgaze Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165694Members
    Yes and yes. Performance is terrible for me on every renderer.
    Way way way down than it was pre-patch.

Also, ive noticed that if u set vysnc to on/triple buffered my fps does not lock to 60 like it used to. It's constantly between 65-79

In earlier builds, my game would stutter pretty badly if i had vsync turned off. turning it on fixed the stutter and made ns2 silky smooth.
    Now on top of noticing my fps doesnt change whether vsync is on or off, my game is extremely stuttery (a symptom of no vsync on my machine)

possible that vsync is broken?
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Are there dev posts that confirm this performance loss?

Btw, @Rationalgaze, your avatar brings me back to my early childhood days playing Quake! Matter of fact, my avatar is today is exactly the same that i used in Quake. /OT
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited August 2013
    dx9 - best performance/worst input lag
    dx11 - lower performance/input lag still present but less stutter (10-20% loss)
    openGL - worst performance/least amount of input lag but still slightly present (30~% loss)

i7 3770k @ 4.2
    gtx 680 @ 310.70 whql
  • CimCim Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147403Members
    DX9 has serious input lag issues. It's what gives it the sluggish feel. FPS seem to be the same.
    FPS is not the same for me with the DX9 renderer, I'd say I'm getting at least 20% less FPS less on average compared to the previous build.

It feels much worse than that though, since the mouse input lag is so severe. I really hope UWE considers delaying Reinforced unless it's fixed until then, because NS2 without tight controls is a disaster imho.
  • galacticfangalacticfan Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187176Members
    I can confirm this as well as I have lost roughly about 10fps. I'm also crashing when I use either DX11 or OpenGL.
  • DGKHaploDGKHaplo Join Date: 2002-12-22 Member: 11324Members, Constellation
    It looks pretty, but I'm experiencing the FPS hit too. I was consistently in the 60 - 70 range pre-252. Now I'm between 40 -50 in DX11 or DX9 its the same FPS although I don't have the mouse input lag that I hear everyone complain about, but that's probably because I'm terrible.

I play in full screen windowed mode 1920 x 1080 (might be 1600 x 1080) I'll play with these modes and see if that helps.

i7-3930K 4.5Ghz 16G ram; Radeon HD 6870
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    I gained ~10fps but the stuttering varies between annoying-but-I-can-deal-with-it and gamebreaking.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am gunna miss NS2. Since the update I can no longer play NS2 for longer then 10 mins with out it crashing. After investing hundreds of hours into a game I love so much, today It has become unplayable for me. What ever you did UWE, what ever it was, please fix it and sort it out!!!! I am literally lost with out it. I dont know what to do.
  • HerZeLeiDHerZeLeiD Join Date: 2013-03-25 Member: 184362Members
    edited August 2013
    Played for an hour now. Mouse input lag makes it unplayable for me (by the looks of it, it's only affecting the minority). Could only play as Onos.

Will return to the game once a patch is out.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited August 2013
    HerZeLeiD wrote: »
    Played for an hour now. Mouse input lag makes it unplayable for me (by the looks of it, it's only affecting the minority). Could only play as Onos.

Will return to the game once a patch is out.

Ya that's what made me stop playing for now since it is something that greatly affects game play for me. Hope the fix is out soon :(
  • FrustrationFrustration Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180628Members
    Crashing for me as well.Usually play with 30 fps(1440x900 with everything on low).
    Tried windowed mode, lowering resolution, enabling vert.sync and switching renderer to openGL.Crashing on all of them, sometimes even without any debug window, just game shutdown.
  • RumseyRumsey Join Date: 2013-01-21 Member: 181012Members
    I get pretty good performance with anisotropic filtering and atmospherics off. Granted, it's not as pretty, but it's at least smooth.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    how in the buggery bollocks! I went from a nice happy 100 fps in nasty fights, now I'm getting 40 and it doesn't feel like 40 either. god damn mickey mouse operation. pity the poor buggers playing this weekend.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Game is unplayable for me. Performance is far worse than it was back in 228.
    Lesson number one: never announce exact update/addon release date, unless it is already 100% done. Now what we witness is rushed update with obvious problems, but as free weekend was scheduled, they had no chance but release it in this state.
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Sammey wrote: »
    I can't believe they released the patch and did a free weekend with these performance bugs :( new people will totaly get the wrong idea :(

whait what? ...checks steamstore... holy crap, thats... unfortunate...
    Just tried again turning everything graphics-wise to low or off. Even when fps shows like 80 it feels like 20.
    Unplayable. I give up.
  • BurzghashBurzghash Join Date: 2012-09-25 Member: 160742Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Game feels choppy/stuttery for me in all modes (DX9/11/OGL). Vsync appears not to be working either, with my fps going well beyond my monitor's 60hz rate, but generally hopping all over the place. Overall I would rate the game performance as being significantly worse than the before this set of patches.
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ahh I guess you are right xen32.. They probably have to schedule these weekends in advance :(
    xen32 wrote: »
    ..Now what we witness is rushed update with obvious problems, but as free weekend was scheduled, they had no chance but release it in this state.
    I wish they'd left the rendering changes for after the free weekend.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    For me the game and levels load much quicker but performance is noticeably worse.
  • FrustrationFrustration Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180628Members
    Same for me.Huge improvement on load times, which by the way I was fine with if it meant I could play the game without crashes and/or weird stuttering.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Input lag is way up, frame variation is way up and FPS is way down.

Unplayable for me sadly. :(
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    I used to be able to run the game on max settings with about 80fps, but now if i want dx11, i have to turn everything on low, and still get about 60-70.

i7-940 3.2ghz
    gtx 570 2gb
    12gb ram
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited August 2013
    I would avoid using OpenGL or D3D9 for now if your system can run D3D11.
    Rumsey wrote: »
    I get pretty good performance with anisotropic filtering and atmospherics off. Granted, it's not as pretty, but it's at least smooth.
    Atmospherics, shadows, and ambient occlusion are all very GPU intensive particularly on Biodome, and much moreso if you have them all on together.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    edited August 2013
    I closed any program hooking into NS2 (fraps, dxtory, OBS, xsplit) and stutter was gone. Sluggish mouse was fixed by Raw Input, but it does still feel a bit slow. I also tried r_mt false / 0, as someone said it would turn off multithreading but not getting any conformation that it's an actual command and made no difference afai noticed.
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Remember to update your drivers. Dx9 have best performance but also are most sluggish (non smooth, input lag) mode. DX11 is a way smoother but will need a little more gpu power. Opengl is best for the smoothest gameplay but it can give more fps dips.

BUT when I updated to nvidia 326.80 BETA driver (old was 320.49 WHQL) my opengl performance got almost 50% performance increase. Almost same fps numbers when using dx11 mode. Those nvidia drivers have 4.3 opengl driver so I bet AMD/ATI users wanna try these drivers:
    http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalystOpenGL43BetaDriver.aspx
  • SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Radeon HD 7850, latest drivers, i7 2600K.. about 10-20fps drop.
  • Live_FeedLive_Feed Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72419Members
    Dropped from an average of 90fps to 55-60fps, lots of frame jitter and stuttering so it never feels smooth on dx9. Raw input was defualted off so the mouse felt terrible, so enabled it again and it fixed whatever input lag i had.