UWE, what's going on with this patch?

WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I've been on the fence about the changes in this patch, notably the garish alien vision (although I can get used to playing without it...TBH in its current form is better to be left out entirely), but a few changes have made me question whether UWE still remembers some of its core design goals.

1) Intuitive gameplay.
2) As few hidden variables as possible.

Now, it seems to me that "comms start with 0 res and receive 0 res for 1 minute after exiting the comm station/hive" is just about as unintuitive and hidden-variably as you can get. There is ZERO reason for this to be in the game. Another hugely unintuitive thing is that lifeforms don't benefit from biomass until their "tech tree" is unlocked. What? In what world does that make sense? Not only do you have to build a worthless building (whip) to benefit your base class, there is no in-game or cognitive link besides being explicitly told "oh, well skulks need this random building to tech up." Oh, and why do we have to penalize the regeneration rate of carapace? I thought we already went through that phase where certain upgrades had built-in disadvantages and it was deemed a terrible idea.

If you want to penalize teams for jumping in and out of the chair, you could make logging in a time-consuming process (10-15s), or having to re-gestate to leave the hive (an extra <x> seconds of re-egging). As an aside, what's the rationale for having all khamm dropped eggs have a 45s gestate time?

Resource costs are not the only costs in the game and to try to force everything to operate on a resource basis shows a completely linear thought process that is completely incapable of solving balance issues in the game.

Also, I'm convinced that UWE hasn't learned from its mistakes with regards to making sweeping changes all at once instead of incrementally working towards better balance. Fades did not need all the nerfs that they got. Fades were mostly fine, the only problem was the life-form explosion issue which is -still- not fixed. And requiring bio 9 to drop fade eggs is insane.

Comments

• OuchOfDeathOuchOfDeath Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182825Members
    I fully agree with the comm resource loss change being terrible and completely counter to the design philosophy UWE tried to go for. It's also a change that makes the game less fun. I'm assuming the change was made in response to some sort of balancing concern, but there are countless ways through which changes can be made to a game.

The biomass + whip(or whichever tech building) change is also pretty cryptic, and I really dislike the idea of tying upgrades to random buildings. It was bad enough with the crags, shifts, and shades, but a whip now too? What's the rationale behind putting upgrades into buildings that serve a completely different purpose? Why scatter them around aimlessly? Again, completely goes against the "intuitive gameplay" philosophy that was supposed to be core to the game.

I haven't had adequate time to play with fades, but they're a lot less fun to play. I'm also very confused as to how the balance is going to work out as fades were very even against shotguns aside from the fade pack issue in competitive play. My first guess is fades are going to be significantly weaker in competitive play, and there's nothing else to balance it out. Onos are still just as weak and useless.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree with literally every point in the OP. 10/10 would read again.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    What if I build a whip army with shifts and crags to teleport them and support them? I hit supply limit and can't place any more shades. I can't recycle building. Oops, fades won't get any abilities, no room for shade.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    xen32 wrote: »
    What if I build a whip army with shifts and crags to teleport them and support them? I hit supply limit and can't place any more shades. I can't recycle building. Oops, fades won't get any abilities, no room for shade.
    I hadn't considered that. Good point.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    I don't really understand what was accomplished by keeping all this stuff secret and dropping it into the game out of the blue. New content aside, most of the balance/system changes never went into the beta test mod - were they intentionally avoiding community feedback? What is wrong with iterative balance changes, particularly when people are very frustrated with current balance? And patching it all in with no changelog at all for days is just icing on the cake - the whole thing is a mess that could easily have been avoided.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited August 2013
    give the changes a chance... starcraft2 is highly complex and unintuitive, but that's what makes it so competitive - almost everything must be learnt through trial and error in that game...

intuitive play/hidden variables is true, however none of the hidden variables are severe enough to effect anything. commander getting no res... well... maybe they should stick to comming like they're meant to? it's a good change - so we're back to the argument of intuition versus balanced gameplay.

did the game benefit from alien commanders going gorge and spamming hydra? or marine commander maybe buying a shotgun for his teammate? i don't think so, it was just 'cheating' res.

also, fade's are potentially insane now with new vortex and stab (they work together right?), so dropping fade eggs could easily be broken OP - better to make fade eggs harder to get in 'close' games at least for the time being to see where the fade goes with the changes.

edit: alien comm is complicated as all hell to me, but i'm sure 5 mins in tutorial/practice mode will sort that out.
  • DeskLampDeskLamp Australia Join Date: 2013-02-03 Member: 182783Members
    edited August 2013
    Zek wrote: »
    I don't really understand what was accomplished by keeping all this stuff secret and dropping it into the game out of the blue. New content aside, most of the balance/system changes never went into the beta test mod - were they intentionally avoiding community feedback? What is wrong with iterative balance changes, particularly when people are very frustrated with current balance? And patching it all in with no changelog at all for days is just icing on the cake - the whole thing is a mess that could easily have been avoided.

I agree. Part of managing expectations is communication. I think the main reason is that UWE playtest new ideas constantly up until release, so you are not 100% guaranteed of the end result of a new patch. This means you can't release a trailer for a feature or change you are going to remove. Unfortunately this also leads to the current results of many people who are being shocked by changes they didn't have an opportunity to get comfortable with.

For example new units are often released in trailers in other games as a marketing tool, but also to manage the reaction of seasoned players who are used to things being the way they are.

People, in general, are very resistant to change, and HATE surprises when something they are emotionally connected to is changed. EVEN WHEN THEY ARE CONSTANTLY DEMANDING THINGS BE CHANGED.

In RTS tech trees are hugely important. Unfortunately they are historically not marketed as they aren't as nifty as a new weapon.

Maybe there should be strategy trailers AND gameplay trailers.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I still feel that all alien abilities should be researched at Hives. To me, this unnecessarily overcomplicates the game

Sure, this makes the hive the end-all- be-all of alien structures since it is also where biomass comes from...but isn't it the point of the Hive to be the single most important structure for aliens?

To me, it is much more intuitive to have all alien abilities come from the same place that biomass comes from, as biomass is the precursor to abilities.

If tying their research to support structures (i.e. crags, shift, shade, whip) is meant to be an additional cost, ability costs could be increased accordingly, if it is meant to force Kahmms to use all structures available, I suggest reworking the structures that are not being used (whip)

p.s. biomass should always affect all lifeforms....it just makes sense with its purpose.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    What's going on with this patch is that there's another patch now. WOOSH.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree about a lot of the unintuitive UI being a big issue. Why life forms abilities have been linked to random structures is anyone's guess?
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    edited August 2013
    Runteh wrote: »
    I agree about a lot of the unintuitive UI being a big issue. Why life forms abilities have been linked to random structures is anyone's guess?
    I guess the UI is literally the reason. The current UI does not have enough slots for all researches in the Hives. Just like you could never drop dual Exos, because that would have been one more drop than UI slots in the assist tab. So the researches had to be spread between multiple buildings (each with their "own UI").
    This is my personal conspiracy theory :p

That, and they tried to slow Alien tech by forcing them to pay for Crags/Shifts/Shades, whether needed or not.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    xen32 wrote: »

You can still walk them off infestation, now even faster than before.

----

Am I the only one who is all excited about this patch?