F2P gorge, now offical.

oMeoMe Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25884Members
Why do we need micro transaction for every little bit when playin as gorge?
I bet my ass soon we will see clogs costing 0.25res each.

Tunnel is ok, hydras is meh but okish...babblers i dont use because of the cost and now finally we got webs.. but nope u get them late and then ur 1 res webs will be destroyed by gren spam and flamers.

At least make webs free of cost and since u nerfed babblers i would like to see those also to be free.

Comments

• wopwopwopwop Join Date: 2013-08-23 Member: 187037Members
    They nerfed babblers? in this build?
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    wopwop wrote: »
    They nerfed babblers? in this build?
    5 times less health.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Babblers down to 10 HP, 0 Armor. Was 30 HP, 5 Armor. They die in one rifle shot now.
    While they were definitely overpowered before (aliens gaining effectively +240 HP with Babblers), this nerf might be too much (+60 HP).
    edited August 2013
    CrushaK wrote: »
    Babblers down to 10 HP, 0 Armor. Was 30 HP, 5 Armor. They die in one rifle shot now.
    While they were definitely overpowered before (aliens gaining effectively +240 HP with Babblers), this nerf might be too much (+60 HP).

Well, it was unlikely that a marine would kill all the babblers before actually hitting the gorge...
    so the effective HP gain would be along the lines of, let's say, half of that, 100-150.

Big nerf though, I don't like seeing changes of that magnitude.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Actually, while Babblers did receive an HP/AP nerf, they now have a similar ability as the Clog:

Babblers will only receive max 5 damage from any source (except Rifle bash for some reason..), preventing one shots from grenade explosions, railguns, etc.
  • oMeoMe Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25884Members
    I rly dislike this hole "pay for every little thing 1 res".

Make gorge cost 15 and everything besides tunnel free.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    that would mean it is just as good for everyone to blow 8 res on a gorge, hydra up the place then change class. Not a good idea.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited August 2013
    PsiWarp wrote: »
    Actually, while Babblers did receive an HP/AP nerf, they now have a similar ability as the Clog:

Babblers will only receive max 5 damage from any source (except Rifle bash for some reason..), preventing one shots from grenade explosions, railguns, etc.

really? that's interesting... so they can potentially block 100% of 2 shotgun shots or?
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    really? that's interesting... so they can potentially block 100% of 2 shotgun shots or?

Since a shotgun blast unloads 17 pellets at once, each Babbler can potentially block 2 pellets.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2013
    Babblers were incredibly OP early game pre 252. That is the one and only reason they were nerfed. Even 252 babblers can add about 50 eHP to a skulk. Babblers with a cara skulk still let you tank damage for aprox 150 HP depending on how many babblers get hit before the skulk dies. Proposing free babblers would be an absolutely horrible idea.

Gorge upgrade prices are fine.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    So...now that they arn't good for shielding, can we make them more deadly?

idk like 5DPS per Babbler (10 dmg per babbler, per attack, every 2 sec)
  • xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Nerf piggy bile, remove the 3 Wilbert game changing PG/obs base rush.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Babblers used to be OP in early game as armor shields for skulks, which is why the summer cup mod nerfed them into oblivion. B252 nerfs them as well, because it was needed, but less strongly than the summer cup mod did. It used to be 4 rifle shots to kill one, now it's 2 shots. They are still useful as meatshields.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    It seems the idea was babblers are supposed to be totally useless. They were marginally useful in exceptional situations before, so the correction came. Now they are slowly getting there.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can idiots not use the word official if they are just going to whine about stuff?
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wish they would've just let babblers be viable weapons :/
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Neoken wrote: »
    Babblers used to be OP in early game as armor shields for skulks, which is why the summer cup mod nerfed them into oblivion. B252 nerfs them as well, because it was needed, but less strongly than the summer cup mod did. It used to be 4 rifle shots to kill one, now it's 2 shots. They are still useful as meatshields.

idk, I can't see anyone spending 35 t-res for babblers in the early game (which is probably going to be the only time they're worth using- or at least the time when they are most effective). Like ever, so I would call that pretty much nerfed to oblivion here as well.

They are 10hp 0 armor now also, so they are 1 bullet, not 2.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    rantology wrote: »

idk, I can't see anyone spending 35 t-res for babblers in the early game (which is probably going to be the only time they're worth using- or at least the time when they are most effective). Like ever, so I would call that pretty much nerfed to oblivion here as well.

They're 10hp, but they work like clogs where they take 50% of damage per hit, so its 2 rifle bullets. At least that's how it's been explained to me. Or maybe it's not that they take 50% of damage, but that they can only take 5dmg from any one source.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited August 2013
    Oh. So intuitive even reading the lua balance files in my ns2 folder is not enough ;P my mistake if that's true.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    whats the deal with building, i couldnt build my 3 hydras at the same time even though they were touching.... are we limited to healin/building one thing at a time.??
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    whats the deal with building, i couldnt build my 3 hydras at the same time even though they were touching.... are we limited to healin/building one thing at a time.??

Doesn't appear to be the case. Heal Spray requires line-of-sight to the unbuilt structure to apply the build speed bonus (added many patches ago, maybe even in beta), so try moving around while spraying your Hydras if they don't all grow at once.
    PsiWarp wrote: »
    maD_maX_ wrote: »

Doesn't appear to be the case. Heal Spray requires line-of-sight to the unbuilt structure to apply the build speed bonus (added many patches ago, maybe even in beta), so try moving around while spraying your Hydras if they don't all grow at once.

It's working fine for me, just tested.
    Sometimes though, even in 251, some hydras that appearently are in LOS are out of sight and healspray won't work properly.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    kk20 wrote: »
    that would mean it is just as good for everyone to blow 8 res on a gorge, hydra up the place then change class. Not a good idea.

No. OP suggests to increase the gorge price.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    rantology wrote: »

It costs 2 resources for the gorge to boost one skulk's effective hp by a potential 45-66%. That hp might very well be a deciding factor in winning or losing an engagement. Seems fine to me.

• _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Having that gorge instead of another fighting class is already a disadvantage in many cases.
    Why should I pay 8res + babbler costs, losing time by placing them on the skulk, when 2 skulks are simply better than 1 with babblers? They are free! They are fast. I don't need to gestate. The res costs for babblers are simply wrong (and even more so to webs!). I can understand the nerf to them. But I think it would be a thousand times better to have the gorge cost 10 or 15res and make babblers and webs free.
  • ImbaxlaxImbaxlax Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186656Members, Reinforced - Gold
    kk20 wrote: »

Why not? +-2 minute delay on any bigger life forms in exchange for some static defences that get killed in basically one clip, placed in a location that marines may or may not want to take? Hell, as a marine I would make that deal.

• DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Babblers will also be hit by bullets that wouldn't have hit the skulk anyway because they make the skulk a bigger target.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Therius wrote: »
    It costs 2 resources for the gorge to boost one skulk's effective hp by a potential 45-66%. That hp might very well be a deciding factor in winning or losing an engagement. Seems fine to me.
    2 medpacks also cost 2 res, give 100% HP boost, and they are available right from the start, everywhere, to all players, no other players needed. Certainly more deciding than one armored Skulk per Gorge.
    I'm just saying your argument boils down to "they effectively removed babblers, fine to me". Which is a bit... thin :)

I think Babblers should be available right from the start, like Clogs and Hydras. Extra research for tunnels, extra research gorge abilities (bile+webs).
    Babblers should be free, or get some HP back. Also, more damage against structures would make them more useful later in the game.