Pros and cons of Tier 3 tech on 1 CC

IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
edited August 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Ah, the age old topic..
I still recall may 2011 when Charlie "Flayra" first decided to scrap the requirement in the alpha.. No more did marines need to maintain map control (the winning condition) to reach the highest level of tech. Turtles were how every match ended (though the performance didn't help marines)
Then after the community asked for it back, it returned sometime later in the beta..
The game launched, and for a time things were "good".. But then build 250 was birthed and brought with it this odd, seemingly un requested change back into the picture.

So, instead of having the discussion of whether we should have it or not, which can be had in sewlek 's beta test thread, i thought we'd try to analyze by collecting data. Admittedly, I am incredibly biased and dislike the recent change, so i thought we could collectively compile a list of pros and cons to further evaluate the change from a slightly more objective and collected viewpoint.

The Pros (benefits) and Cons (negatives) of having the highest tech (Tier 3) achievable only on 1 Command Chair:

Pros :
  • Allows marines to tech up without having to hold ground / forward positions
  • Potentially allows for faster exos and jet packs and W3/A3 for greater strat variety (does this actually happen? A link to a stream would be helpful confirming)
  • asymmetrical winning conditions
  • Allows for more marine comebacks
  • Marines can get jeptacks and exos on one CC!!
  • Marines have a better chance (not much of one) of winning after losing most of their map control.
  • Allowing JPs on one CC might encourage/allow marines to leave base, better mobility, survivability and with the option for beaconing if it hits the fan
  • Game isn't perceived to be over when you lost your 2nd CC
  • Feels like a clearer progression of tech
  • Exos are much more frequent
  • More consistent with traditional RTS design
  • More logical/realistic: Why do marines need multiple command stations when they only have one commander?
  • Allows marines to play more aggressive. Less bases > less marines required to defend> more aggression.

Cons
  • Largest contributor to marine turtles in public games, largely impacting quality of the rounds.
  • Unintuitive. Maintaining and holding map control is encouraged through every facet of this game. So why not one extra structure if you're already in that room??
  • Unfair advantage. Aliens have to secure areas of the map just like marines but have to hold them as well to advance and keep their tech.
  • Turtles aside, it becomes difficult to push marines back once they have tier 3 tech, even if they own no portion of the map.
  • Game becomes "beat the clock" with marines inevitably getting fully teched.
  • Not requiring map control leads to naturally less aggressive play from marines (aggression is needed to win)
  • Tres costs increase
  • Further isolates marine "island" starting areas. (i.e. Control in Veil, Terminal in Docking)
  • Promotes a "status quo" attitude regarding TSF team playstyles. ("Just keep 4-5 RT's up at all times, and we'll be golden.")
  • Marines can get jeptacks and exos on one CC??
  • Even with the pro of having proto items on 1 cc, comebacks are still very very rare (in some cases not logical).
  • No point of even getting 2nd cc especially in competitive matches. AKA phase gates are the marines most valuable structure.
  • Gives aliens less bases to destroy, which are more satisfying /exciting than RTs.
  • With Exos being to powerful in defense, this mechanic seems broken

Feel free to add to the list, I will maintain it as long as you format it correctly, with "pro: X reason" categorizing etc.
Let the analyzing begin! ;-)

Comments

• BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Pro:
    Assymetry of winning conditions and playstyles.
    - I like the feeling of needing to destroy the marine "beach head" or completely exterminate the Alien infestation

Cons:
    Not requireing map control leads to naturally less aggresive play from marines (aggression is needed to win)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Added another con + your additions Benson :-)
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    pro: gives the aliens an objective. maybe wiping out a base is more fun/satisfying than biting extractors.

pro/con: there's less chance of marines dying from a base rush if they are more likely to have 2 bases (I think this is good for beginners, but has worse risk/reward equations for veterans)

con: TRES cost. marines are hurting enough (this is balance-able)

con: tricks marines into defending their bases instead of attacking
    con: tricks aliens into suicide rushing into a base that's usually defended because they think they need to eliminate it

I guess some players might view the bottom two cons as two wrongs making a right...
    It was part of the reason why some games used to be kind of balanced

i haven't played much since Unbalanced Test went live, but turtling was a huge problem even when 2 CC was required for proto stuff
    maybe moving a3/w3 to the 2nd CC would help solve that a little, but I'd rather just see aliens get something OP to end it than even more marine nerfs

might just be better to just let a CC be built anywhere and allow only 1 IP per CC
    then it could solve turtling without turning the tech tree into a tech line
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm betting this is going to come down to server player count. 6 Marines on weapons 3 is very different from 10-12 Marines. The question is how to balance both.
  • CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Pro: More easily allows for marine comebacks.

Sorry but I really tried, but I can't think of many pros towards having a full tech tree (minus dualies) able to be obtained from one Commander Chair. I think it just promotes hardcore turtles. If the base game was more like Last Stand, with one side attacking and one defending, then it would make more sense, however, I fail to see much purpose to the fact as it is.

Con: Further isolates marine "island" starting areas. (i.e. Control in Veil, Terminal in Docking)

Con: Promotes a "status quo" attitude regarding TSF team playstyles. ("Just keep 4-5 RT's up at all times, and we'll be golden.")

• XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    If marines couldn't turtle out single and railgun exos with JP what the fuck would the win rate be? It's 68% to aliens now, are you aiming for 75% alien win rate here? 100%?

The majority of marine rounds aren't even worth turtling, the stigma of recycling IPs is strong and teams that can't concede properly had no chance of performing any amount of team work towards a win anyway.

It seems like the only time the alien team requires team work since patch 250 is breaking down a marine base and low and behold turtling is now this evil concept that must be abolished as it's diminishing the gameplay experience of aliens everywhere, please fuck off, pre exo turtling requires 2-3 gorges biling under the cover of fades/lerks/skulks engaging the marines for barely 5 seconds, post exo turtling requires 2-3 smart gorges biling under the cover of onii/fades/lerks for barely 5 seconds.

The only marine base location that doesn't apply to is flight control on summit as you can only realistically bile the power over and over again.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    right now the vast majority of ns2 pub gameplay is marine turtling in their last techpoint.

Its lame and unfun. Thats why.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Pro: Marines can get jeptacks and exos on one CC
    Cons: Marines can get jeptacks and exos on one CC
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm with you on this... I love being able to buy exos and jets off one cc, but I completely hate it when used as a turtle tactic. I agree aliens are OP at the moment, but in pubs they can't finish verse w3/a3 mixed with exos when they should have won. Having proto put at 2 cc is a logical choice, maybe even w3/a3. Map control is key and if marines lose it, it should be gg. As far as the win/lose rate in the current build, other things cam be done to balance, but this needs to be done.

Pro: Marines have a better chance (not much of one) of winning after losing most of their map control.

Con: Terrible turtles that last twice as long as the actual game lasted.

Con: Even with the pro of having proto items on 1 cc, comebacks are still very very rare (in some cases not logical).

Con: No point of even getting 2nd cc especially in competitive matches. AKA phase gates are the marines most valuable structure.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited August 2013
    Pros:

ability to come back

Cons:

ability to turtle

There's other stuff to consider too like tech path flexibility (i.e. can opt out of building second cc until dual exo unless you really want a forward IP or another beaconable location). However, those are the two big pro/cons. And frankly, I think the pros outweigh the cons here. Sure, an exo turtle is annoying, but marines always have the ability to concede if it's really over.

NS2 is already lacking in terms of come-from-behind victories. You get it with aliens every now and then with base-rushes, and sometimes with marines in pubs when there's a rookie team that doesn't know how to deal with exos and losing onoses left right and center.

Denying the opportunity to at least have a shot in the late game if you lose your second tech point just because turtles are annoying is dumb. The problem isn't the turtle itself, it's the fact the marines won't concede cause they either don't know it's over or want to draw the game out. And that's their right. It's difficult, but certainly possible to break a turtle with a little bit patience and teamwork, so do just that and end the game. If we don't allow protolab on 1 command station all that'll happen is 90% of marine games will concede after a second base is lost. Seems like a pretty big blow to cast on the marines when the aliens are already dominating in terms of balance. Aliens have fades with the new blink on one hive without any research, so it seems only fair that marines should have something too.
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    Jetpacks on 1 cc I like because it gives some use to protos after losing a tech point, as opposed to before where the proto became practically useless without 2 tech points. However, I feel like allowing exos on 1 cc just makes turtling ridiculous in public play.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Jetpacks on 1 cc I like because it gives some use to protos after losing a tech point, as opposed to before where the proto became practically useless without 2 tech points. However, I feel like allowing exos on 1 cc just makes turtling ridiculous in public play.

I actually agree with this. Single exos can easily fend off a couple onos and gorges and other life forms. Jet packs help but aren't the turtle tool like exos.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    @biz : I think you did that backwards?
    I meant the pros and cons of having T3 tech on only 1 CC, so for example, saying tres costs are higher as a con doesn't make sense, because that's not currently happening? Though i get what you mean. So would you like me to interpret the list? i.e. "Pro: less Tres expenditure" ?
    I guess i didnt expect that confusion.. i added a title just before the list to help clear it up. :)

@CD121 : Added.

@Xen32 : Added ;)

@Side1Bu2Rnz9 : Added.

@d0ped0g : Someone just beat you to the first one, and the 2nd one is covered.

@Xao : Just collecting data, friend. But i agree, in that marines do not need any nerfs, regardless of their impacts, if balance isn't capable of being resolved. But seeing as how often NS2 is updated..
    Grissi wrote: »
    Since I'm pretty sure how this thread will develop from now I will probably not post more in it.
    *waves*
    Too bad you didn't contribute to the topic, i was honestly curious what you had to weigh in.
    Like i said though, I won't be discussing in this thread, personally, but thanks for taking the time to reply, none the less.
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    I think all the Pros you listed are actually Cons in disguise Ironhorse.
    edited August 2013
    @ChrisAUS lol... glad i wasn't the only one..

edit: although benson's addition: asymmetrical winning conditions ... is close to being a true pro if you don't weigh in the confusion / downside of how unexplained that is.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @biz : I think you did that backwards?

yes :(
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    Pros:

ability to come back

Cons:

ability to turtle

There's other stuff to consider too like tech path flexibility (i.e. can opt out of building second cc until dual exo unless you really want a forward IP or another beaconable location). However, those are the two big pro/cons. And frankly, I think the pros outweigh the cons here. Sure, an exo turtle is annoying, but marines always have the ability to concede if it's really over.

NS2 is already lacking in terms of come-from-behind victories. You get it with aliens every now and then with base-rushes, and sometimes with marines in pubs when there's a rookie team that doesn't know how to deal with exos and losing onoses left right and center.

Denying the opportunity to at least have a shot in the late game if you lose your second tech point just because turtles are annoying is dumb. The problem isn't the turtle itself, it's the fact the marines won't concede cause they either don't know it's over or want to draw the game out. And that's their right. It's difficult, but certainly possible to break a turtle with a little bit patience and teamwork, so do just that and end the game. If we don't allow protolab on 1 command station all that'll happen is 90% of marine games will concede after a second base is lost. Seems like a pretty big blow to cast on the marines when the aliens are already dominating in terms of balance. Aliens have fades with the new blink on one hive without any research, so it seems only fair that marines should have something too.

So marines should be entitled to being able to comeback after losing 2nd chair but aliens not after losing 2nd hive?
    Why should alien victory require marines to concede?

Turltes have been an issue for a long time in this game, the requirement for a 2nd Chair for exo's and jp's in the past made life easier for aliens to finish things off...but the fact w3a3 was still available still made it hard for aliens.
    Comparatively marines find it easier to take down aliens as more hives go down.

Marines get access to FT, GL's, SG's Arcs etc all off 1 CC, plus they get full weapons and armour upgrades.
    Throwing in Exo's and JP's just simply led to more turtles.

The biggest con is that 1 side enjoys the turtle situation...and its not the side thats winnign map control.
    Marines should need to push the kharaa back...not sit and simply wait to get all their toys before bothering to worry about map control.

I have often see games where aliens have had game won but due to W3 A3 and a pub server with newer players, marines could easily turtle for over 10 minutes.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Con: makes turtles more likely as if marines had to defend 2 locations to keep their tech (2 location are harder to defend than one!)
    Con: The game suddenly becomes boring when a turtle lasts to long
    Con: With Exos being to powerful in defense, this mechanic seems broken

Pro: Is needed to hold the win percentage of marines above a ridiculous level.
    Pro: Is not as unintuitive as needing a second CC for tech.

I want to go into more detail on the last point. I remember from old builds the frequent demand of jps / exos without holding a second tech point (mostly from newbs). It simply wasn't intuitive. One does not easily see the correlation of researching tech and the Command Center.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited August 2013
    hakenspit wrote: »
    So marines should be entitled to being able to comeback after losing 2nd chair but aliens not after losing 2nd hive?
    As I believe I already mentioned, aliens already can come back with base rushes. And it only requires vanilla skulks.

I don't believe I said that. But people shouldn't complain about turtles if they're not willing to concede after there's absolutely no hope. This applies for both marine and alien game if either are struggling to land the finishing blow.
    Marines get access to FT, GL's, SG's Arcs etc all off 1 CC, plus they get full weapons and armour upgrades.

Full weapon and armour upgrades contribute a lot to the turtle situation, but not FT GL's, SG's cause you want to have an LMG anyway for onoses (if you don't have exo). Arcs are just a nuisance and barely relevant. I never denied that exos and jps help turtles - they do, and turtling is a significant problem. But removing what little ability you have to stage a come-from-behind victory from the marines is not a good solution when concede already exists.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    edited August 2013
    As for your cons
    Largest contributor to marine turtles in public games, largely impacting quality of the rounds.
    Marines do not turtle because they can get their tech on 1 cc, that is not the reason. The 1 CC requirement is what enables them to turtle somewhat. If a team does not concede, it will always defend their last techpoint. Doesn't matter if alien or marine. The problem is that aliens lack the turtlebreaking abilities.
    Unintuitive. Maintaining and holding map control is encouraged through every facet of this game. So why not one extra structure if you're already in that room??
    Because having to take care of an additional base makes getting mapcontrol and putting the aliens under pressure much harder. The 2 CC requirement acutally means less aggressive marines since you need more people on guard duty.
    Unfair advantage. Aliens have to secure areas of the map just like marines but have to hold them as well to advance and keep their tech.
    I hardly ever see aliens secure multiple areas of a map. Think of veil, usually nano is gorged up and you dont see a clog/hydra anywhere else. It is the marines who have to get up phasegates in key locations and secure those.
    Turtles aside, it becomes difficult to push marines back once they have tier 3 tech, even if they own no portion of the map.
    Same as point 1.
    game becomes "beat the clock" with marines inevitably getting fully teched.
    The game has always been beat the clock. There are timings for certain techs/lifeforms you want to rush/delay as much as possible.
    Not requiring map control leads to naturally less aggressive play from marines (aggression is needed to win)
    Same as point 2.
    Tres costs increase
    Huh? Did the 250 upgrade increase costs, I dont like number crunching? That is hardly a con to the 1 cc requirement.
    Further isolates marine "island" starting areas. (i.e. Control in Veil, Terminal in Docking)
    How are they isolated and how is this bad? Same as point 1.
    Promotes a "status quo" attitude regarding TSF team playstyles. ("Just keep 4-5 RT's up at all times, and we'll be golden.")
    And here I was thinking the fadeball ends the game once aliens get 3 harvesters. In fact I have seen this status quo mentallity on the alien side quite a lot.
    Even with the pro of having proto items on 1 cc, comebacks are still very very rare (in some cases not logical).
    How is this a con? The 1 cc requirement's main intent is not to make comebacks move likely, it is to prevent the easy basetrade comebacks for the aliens where some skulks just jump a base while the marines siege a hive. I've seen it over and over on both sides. Hive push incoming, bait out beacon, swarm the defenseless exos or the pg.
    No point of even getting 2nd cc especially in competitive matches. AKA phase gates are the marines most valuable structure.
    So how is this a con? You want phasegates on 2 CC requirement? There is no point in having 2 ccs because you can only have one commander.
    Gives aliens less bases to destroy, which are more satisfying /exciting than RTs.
    Right... Biting on a CC is more fun than biting on a RT. Maybe it tastes better, could we probably introduce different exciting flavours for marine RTs so the skulks dont get bored of chewing them?
    You know what is not satisfying? Constantly phasing from one base to another to kill pesky skulks who try to kill the base even though your team is winning on paper and has total mapcontrol; knowing once you go for a hive push, you lose 1-2 of your bases & tech.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    Pro: Allowing JPs on one CC might encourage/allow marines to leave base, better mobility, survivability and with the option for beaconing if it hits the fan.

Con: allowing Exo's on one CC tends to encourage them to stay in base i.e. big damage out put and a constant stream of targets combined with wanting to be near team mates with welders.

I'd let them have JPs but not exo at 1 CC.

Also W2/A2 on 1CC, but not A3/W3.
    What is really needed is some kind of subtle marine weapon damage scaling on high player servers, at least when multiple marines are shooting at one target.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    TLDR (thread)

The comebck-argument is not really justified. Comebacks don't really happen - at least not in public, in my experience.

Sure, there are comebacks, but every comeback comes with 20, maybe even 30 turtles.

The comeback argument is easily outweighted by turtles.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    At first i was going to make a serious post in the pro/con format Ironhorse suggested, but reading through the con list definitely changed my mind. There wasn't a single valid 'con' to be found.

Lets go through them TL;DR style.
    [*] Largest contributor to marine turtles in public games, largely impacting quality of the rounds.
    Not true at all. If we simply evaluated this statement, we could ask: which change has the larger effect on reducing marine turtle in public games?
    a) Tie t3 to 2 cc
    b) Remove exo

Obviously option b. I'm not saying to actually remove exo, but that the above assertion is invalid. So i'll try addressing what i think it's trying to say (sorry if i misunderstand again ironhorse).

It might sound intuitive that t3 tech on 1 cc means more turtle, but tying it to 2 cc is just swapping one type of turtle for another. Infact, by increasing the hurdle cost for effective turtling via 2 cc, you will see overall more 2 cc turtle orientated games and less focus on actually being aggressive. We saw this pre 250 if you want empirical evidence, and i don't see a reason why we wouldn't see it again.

Trying to be super aggressive while chucking res out for a 2nd cc base is really dumb, bad for gameflow, and limits comeback pressure.
    [*]Unintuitive. Maintaining and holding map control is encouraged through every facet of this game. So why not one extra structure if you're already in that room??
    Not true at all.

There is only allowed one commander per team. Intuition tells you that you should only need 1 command station, since its function is to house the commander. Map control is not held through CC's. Try holding map control with just CC's and no phasegates - pretty dumb.

That also answers why not one extra structure. Because it's fundamentally useless and adds an unnecessary tres sink. The question to ask is really why would you want to? Are you playing to win, or playing to not lose?
    [*] Unfair advantage. Aliens have to secure areas of the map just like marines but have to hold them as well to advance and keep their tech.
    Not necessarily true at all. Assymetrical balance and symmetrical balance are both possible design routes. Assymetrical balance happens to be more interesting. If you find this hard to believe, there is evidence from games past and current that this can work fine.
    [*] Turtles aside, it becomes difficult to push marines back once they have tier 3 tech, even if they own no portion of the map.
    This observation is based on mistaking the current marine biased late game as untouchable, when it can be fixed with some very simple number tweaking. The issue is not related to 2nd cc at all. You address turtle by directly addressing turtle related mechanics such as exo dmg, gl reload rate/cost, as well as alien turtle breaking power i.e. onos, xenocide, proper fade t3 ability.

Further, map control should not be the sole determinating factor in whether or not you can push aliens back. Comeback should always be possible, just not as marine biased as it is currently. Hate to say it again for only the millionth time ever since the first beta build they came out, but EXOSUITS OP PLEASE NERF TNX. Exosuits are one of the longest standing imba mechanics consecutively running throughout ns2 development from build to build, almost like a theme. Maybe only second to fades, although fades have received alot more attention.
    [*] game becomes "beat the clock" with marines inevitably getting exosuits.
    fixed that for you
    [*]Not requiring map control leads to naturally less aggressive play from marines (aggression is needed to win)
    Not true at all. Think of it like this - in any given game marines have an x ammount of time effort that they can spend. Holding all else constant, they can either spend all of x being aggressive, or they can use some of that x trying to turtle and secure a random techpoint and thus have less x left over for aggression. What you are suggesting, "2cc and map control requirements", is the exact opposite of the outcome you find desirable, "aggression is needed to win".

Not requiring map control leads naturally to MORE aggressive play from marines. Imagine if RT's were not needed and marines recieved a fixed res income. Do you think we would see more aggressive marine play? or less? If powernodes were removed, do you think we would see more aggressive marine play or less?
    [*]Tres costs increase
    I don't see how this is a con. The timings are either balanced or not, and this arguement is based around shifting numbers meaninglessly. This is the point in your list at which the quality of the 'cons' starts deteriorating exponentially.
    [*] Further isolates marine "island" starting areas. (i.e. Control in Veil, Terminal in Docking)
    Phasegates. 2nd CC/ip as pseudo phasegate is stupid.

Phasegates can be placed anywhere, CC's cannot. Keeping this in mind, tell me which mechanic has the greater chance of creating 'island' symptom?
    [*]Promotes a "status quo" attitude regarding TSF team playstyles. ("Just keep 4-5 RT's up at all times, and we'll be golden.")
    2nd cc only changes this to "just keep 5-6 rt's up at all times, then get a 2nd cc somewhere and we'll be golden". All you are doing is adding an extra requirement to the 'status quo'. 1 cc actually has a beneficial effect here of reducing status quo requirements
    [*]Marines can get jeptacks and exos on one CC??
    Yes they can. The tutorial that explains the tech trees and how to play ns2 is over by the main menu. Oh wait...
    [*]Even with the pro of having proto items on 1 cc, comebacks are still very very rare (in some cases not logical).
    This is not even an arguement anymore. Even 1% is a greater effect than 0. The issue is not that comebacks are rare or 'illogical' (what on earth is that even supposed to mean. Killing someone makes you die instead?), but how you balance this comeback % to a healthy zone while keeping the game deterministically skill based throughout all phases of the game. Ideally, if marines are coming back, it should be happening as a result of superior FPS play.

This one is obviously coming from a new player, or someone who hasn't thought about their opinion all the way through to the potential solution properly.
    [*]No point of even getting 2nd cc especially in competitive matches. AKA phase gates are the marines most valuable structure.
    There are always decisions which are less optimal than other decisions. I don't see how this is an arguement anymore than stating some random fact.

So what if 2nd cc is a waste of res in competitive matches? Do we have 2 commanders on the same team?
    [*]Gives aliens less bases to destroy, which are more satisfying /exciting than RTs.
    lol'd at this one to be honest.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    elodea wrote: »
    It might sound intuitive that t3 tech on 1 cc means more turtle, but tying it to 2 cc is just swapping one type of turtle for another. Infact, by increasing the hurdle cost for effective turtling via 2 cc, you will see overall more 2 cc turtle orientated games and less focus on actually being aggressive. We saw this pre 250 if you want empirical evidence, and i don't see a reason why we wouldn't see it again.

Trying to be super aggressive while chucking res out for a 2nd cc base is really dumb, bad for gameflow, and limits comeback pressure.

2 cc turtles - also known as "balanced game"
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    elodea wrote: »
    At first i was going to make a serious post in the pro/con format Ironhorse suggested, but reading through the con list definitely changed my mind. There wasn't a single valid 'con' to be found.

Lets go through them TL;DR style.
    [*] Largest contributor to marine turtles in public games, largely impacting quality of the rounds.
    Not true at all. If we simply evaluated this statement, we could ask: which change has the larger effect on reducing marine turtle in public games?
    a) Tie t3 to 2 cc
    b) Remove exo

Obviously option b. I'm not saying to actually remove exo, but that the above assertion is invalid. So i'll try addressing what i think it's trying to say (sorry if i misunderstand again ironhorse).

A turtle on 2 CCs isn't a turtle. Pre 250 there was no problem for the alien team to crush one of the bases. Simply because the number of marines needed to split up on the two bases.

I understand, that you want to see more aggressive play from marines. And that defending 2 CCs isn't your thing. But don't call it turtle. It completely misses the point.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Xao wrote: »
    If marines couldn't turtle out single and railgun exos with JP what the fuck would the win rate be? It's 68% to aliens now, are you aiming for 75% alien win rate here? 100%?

It's mix between clan and pub play. And only servers that runs the stat mod. To my opinion it should be running on every server and with a distinction between clanplay and public.

The majority of marine rounds aren't even worth turtling, the stigma of recycling IPs is strong and teams that can't concede properly had no chance of performing any amount of team work towards a win anyway.

You're right; it's all about teamwork. There is a misconception about that for a lot of marine players. Playing NS2 like they want on marine side is wrong all the way long. Most people think they can do whatever they want because it's 'pub'. As a consequence nobody wants to take command on marine side anymore. Then they cry rivers to get a decent commander. Kind of pathetic.

This is a kind of moral value NS2 should teach before making players able to join a server. Don't be dumb, look at your map, try to help where it's needed (or red). This brings the rookie/Level servers etc, debate. Still i do believe that marines with proper TW have a better chance to win than Aliens. I made my mind about that. On pub, as commander on marine side i always know if a team is gonna go wrong or not.

I had a game with marine that was clearly under-skilled compared to alien. We did win because of one essential thing. Most of the team was properly organizing. Teamwork is everything.
    It seems like the only time the alien team requires team work since patch 250 is breaking down a marine base and low and behold turtling is now this evil concept that must be abolished as it's diminishing the gameplay experience of aliens everywhere, please fuck off, pre exo turtling requires 2-3 gorges biling under the cover of fades/lerks/skulks engaging the marines for barely 5 seconds, post exo turtling requires 2-3 smart gorges biling under the cover of onii/fades/lerks for barely 5 seconds.

The only marine base location that doesn't apply to is flight control on summit as you can only realistically bile the power over and over again.

i may add:
    Here you have a typical example of a clan match that are somehow equal:
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131487/one-of-the-best-endings-i-ve-casted#latest

The whole team goes several times trying to destroy the PG in "System WP". With proper marines unit working as a team, you have a real hard time doing things.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    As I believe I already mentioned, aliens already can come back with base rushes. And it only requires vanilla skulks.
    So your saying when marines have JP's, the rest of the map and aliens are on 1 hive that they can overcome this by base rushes?

I don't believe I said that. But people shouldn't complain about turtles if they're not willing to concede after there's absolutely no hope. This applies for both marine and alien game if either are struggling to land the finishing blow.
    No you said "Marines can always concede if its over"...which infers that aliens often wont be able to finish a game thats turtled.

Full weapon and armour upgrades contribute a lot to the turtle situation, but not FT GL's, SG's cause you want to have an LMG anyway for onoses (if you don't have exo). Arcs are just a nuisance and barely relevant. I never denied that exos and jps help turtles - they do, and turtling is a significant problem. But removing what little ability you have to stage a come-from-behind victory from the marines is not a good solution when concede already exists.
    Which is why I have for all too long now been an advocate of linking w3 a3 to at least 2 CC's.
    Even with JP's and Exo's tied to the 2nd CC we still needed to have the concede feature added to help end games that had hit turtle stage (or at least that how it was perceived).
    We still have all too many turtles, but only ever marines holed up...I am yet to see a turtle from aliens on 1 hive against a fully tech'd marine squad (atleast one that was actually trying to finish the game.)
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    2 cc turtles - also known as "balanced game"

You mean a boring one, right?
    Aggressive play should be encouraged, contrary to the OP - 2 CC requirements have the opposite effect.

Exosuit 1 CC turtle trains aren't a problem because they can be purchased on 1 tech point, they're a problem because the damage output is immense almost regardless of skill level. In higher player count server, aliens have little answer for it.

Marines getting locked into defending isn't an interesting way to play the game, and public players asking for instant phase gates to more efficiently sit around and not attack anything makes for very poor quality games. Tech points encourage this type of play.

Aliens not being able to break a turtle again should have little to do with 1 CC 3/3 or proto. Instead of implementing wholly unnecessary gameplay additions or limitations (hello powernodes), fix the actual problem of the alien end game. T3 abilities being useful would be a great start.