August 30: Reinforced - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The cinematics for a pulse, cluster, and nerve gas grenades are in the files and function 100%
  • SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    When I listen to the video with my eyes closed I hear fireworks. Are there Lua files for fireworks?

Fireworks FTW!
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    We need numa numa song to dance to before the doors open...
  • Warrior_of_katzWarrior_of_katz Join Date: 2013-08-12 Member: 186762Members
    Yeah, maybe it will be the gorge plushies that were announced a couple months a go or something!
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    I want skulks to take at least 2 minutes to die in the most operatic fashion possible every time they die.
  • IronmanIronman Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149184Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for all the hard work that Unknown Worlds and co is doing. Great game, really great game. : )
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    vortex should sweep up all nearby skulks into a spinning vortex of mass mayhem ..... hmmm.. what could we call it?

• xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    We need more hint on update >_<
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    This looks great, reinstalling the game, miss playing it and the female marine looks great. :)
  • MorshuMorshu Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155539Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    I don't know how many of you went ahead and watched the "State of the game - episode 8" but correct me if I've heard incorrectly which could be due to the fact that I watched it at 5 AM in the morning.
    But like I said correct me if I'm wrong but if it's true that the 30th aka the "REINFORCED" update will determine whenever Unknown worlds will continue to work on NS2 FULL TIME or not then obviously they're going to spend their resources/time on other titles/products so that they can continue to prosper, however I do believe that getting linux support up 'nd running for NS2 is a big deal since there aren't really that many shooters available for Linux (as far I know) let alone competitive which makes me 'confident' to say that we'll likely see an increase in the playerbase for NS2. (hopefully since there are alot of people using linux this time around)

Now I'll go ahead and list some ideas for new titles/products in the ideas/sugguestion section because it's a rainy sunday here and I just wanna throw my input out there y'know, every little bit helps as the saying goes.

Link for ideas: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131524/ideas-for-new-titles-products?new=1
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    If they added the kind of stats and leveling players expect now, ns2 would have done a lot better and kept far more players playing, i don't care for it much myself but can see how it adds something and keeps people coming back.

I noticed a gorge web model, hopefully its a good update.
  • BennyBenny Join Date: 2012-09-08 Member: 158585Members
    Electr0 wrote: »
    If they added the kind of stats and leveling players expect now, ns2 would have done a lot better and kept far more players playing, i don't care for it much myself but can see how it adds something and keeps people coming back.

Possibly, and while I agree it may have had broader appeal and kept players playing, it might not always be for the right reasons. NS2 would never implement weapon/item unlocks outside of a match because it instantly unbalances the game, but maybe a rank and maybe cosmetic upgrades as you level up would have helped players keep going.

The issue is you may end up with rookie/newb trolling because of rank, or players playing just to rank up, when they're not really enjoying the game itself (avoiding a possible deeper issue). Other issues could be how do you define levelling up? Game score? Time played? Win/loss? It's a very hard system to implement effectively. Overall though I do think a rank/cosmetic upgrade might alleviate the first 10-20 hours of learning, by keeping people playing a little bit more, but the time and cost might be better spent on other means to the same effect.
  • SkipjackSkipjack Join Date: 2005-04-13 Member: 48323Members, Constellation
  • junktextjunktext Join Date: 2007-10-09 Member: 62587Members
    Yes!!! Linux support at last! I cannot wait to finally start playing NS2 again, as I ditched Windows about 6 months ago and I am not looking back.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    will dx11 be supported in this big content patch?
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Why not put them out at the same time?
  • lukeman3000lukeman3000 Join Date: 2013-08-13 Member: 186801Members
    Would it be OP if marines had some kind of stealth technology, like a personal cloaking field? What about purchasable night vision? That way, aliens wouldn't necessarily be alerted to a marine's presence in a dark environment if the marine needed to see.

I am just now getting into NS2 and I love it. I hope more players pick this game up and keep it alive. Also, a single-player version of NS2 featuring some kind of campaign (co-op anyone?) has the potential to be AMAZING. Just imagine the different set pieces and scenarios that they could come up with.

Playing NS2 feels like what Aliens: Colonial marines should've been. I'm serious. NS2 has a high production value -- everything just feels, sounds and looks awesome. I appreciate all the little things, like watching the way the command chair jerks back and forth as it opens and closes, or the way the observatory unfolds into a satellite dish one little segment at a time. So cool.

Whatever you guys have in the works, I hope it's in the same vein of everything you've already done, because it's awesome.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    co-op anyone
    Try xenoswarm servers
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Thought I would make a comparison showing the benefits of object motion blur even at a number of frame rates.

I recommend a browser like i.e. for this to see the difference between the version.
    60 without motion blur
    ibg0UBuOmqOjmy.gif

60 with motion blur
    izchDTW1pljCC.gif

30 without motion blur
    ibjsvlh8Sltiv5.gif

30 with motion blur
    iwr4Lzh9P9kHu.gif

Sorry for the .gif overload, but I think the benefit is quite obvious and is not overly intrusive. Lower framerates look smoother, and higher framerates look smoother. It aids animations also.
  • FuzionMonkeyFuzionMonkey Join Date: 2005-05-04 Member: 50889Members
    If there is Linux support in this update, is OS X support coming soon?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    Natural selection 3: Colonial Marines vs Space Orks
    Fixed.

• IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    Natural selection 3: Colonial Marines vs Space Orks
    Fixed.

Not enough waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Neoken wrote: »
    Thesame reason I don't like FXAA.

Speaking of which, any chance we can get some MSAA in NS2?
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    If there is Linux support in this update, is OS X support coming soon?

I doubt it.. they make many 4.0ghz macs? xD
  • VonDoomVonDoom Knee deep in the latency Join Date: 2009-10-08 Member: 68989Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Looking forward to Biodome!