Cannot play public games anymore

13»

Comments

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2013
    Like the "awesome server - no noobs" filled by rookies you have "another awesome server - no pros" with skilled players.
    The "problem" isnt one sided.
    If you cant have an good game cause most servers felt the same as skiled player its like getting raped as rookie.
    Its frustrating for both sides.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Rookie friendly means exactly that, it should be a friendly environment for not so skilled players to join the game and feel comfortable making mistakes and learning how to play the game, what part of going 20-2 sounds friendly about that? Or to put it in their perspective, what part of going 2-15 sounds remotely entertaining, interesting or the dirty f word, fun.

Should have seen my surprised face that it's damage muppets.
    amoral wrote: »
    :p need to up my game, getting banned from servers is starting to seem like a right of passage now.
    Must be hard getting banned from servers in-between rage quitting them and crying about high pingers, gl on your endeavor m8.
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    Long ago, I have stated that the classification of "rookfriendly or not" is by far too rough. It's obvious: Every singleplayer game has AT LEAST three levels of difficulty. Every sport has AT LEAST three leagues. NO world-class players EVER compete with amateurs. They leave them behind.
    Only online multiplayer games give you the opportunity to make a total ass of yourself by being leet and still playing among amatuers.

If you don't have a little brother, and have failed to learn sportsmanship/fairness in school, maybe you should stock up there before further refining your shooter skills.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Melancor wrote: »
    Only online multiplayer games give you the opportunity to make a total ass of yourself by being leet and still playing among amatuers.

Yes because being good enough means that you're not allowed to launch the game unless you're set up for a scrim, something that happens maybe three times a week at maximum.

• gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Melancor wrote: »

What makes me kind of sad is that all recent competitive multiplayer games I played actually do not give you the opportunity. I'd even say that giving this opportunity has yieled NS2 this horrific player retention rate of <<1%.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    Easy solution, start your own server.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    kk20 wrote: »
    Easy solution, start your own server.

Or find a new game to play.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    edited August 2013
    Xao wrote: »
    Rookie friendly means exactly that, it should be a friendly environment for not so skilled players to join the game and feel comfortable making mistakes and learning how to play the game, what part of going 20-2 sounds friendly about that? Or to put it in their perspective, what part of going 2-15 sounds remotely entertaining, interesting or the dirty f word, fun.

:p need to up my game, getting banned from servers is starting to seem like a right of passage now.
    Must be hard getting banned from servers in-between rage quitting them and crying about high pingers, gl on your endeavor m8.

woops, misread that, anyway, I don't think anybody enjoys teleporting skulks, and most of the time im more amused than anything else. also, I don't really remember ragequitting all that much. incidentally, unless this is a pretty old recollection, I haven't really played under amoral consistently until about a month ago, and probably 4 months before that. and recently, I've tended to join on others and bounce from pub to pub with very little bearing from the current state of the game. rage quitting involved some level of rage no? what made you believe I was salty?

in general, I tend not to bitch and moan unless the comm is absolute garbage. the most I'll do, is push to concede a game that there is absolutely no hope of winning. say, 2 rts at the 10 minute mark with the other team holding 5+. sometimes I'll f4 in the hopes that others will join me, or sometimes I'll just run and hide instead.

I like pugs, people know when it's time to.concede, and shuffle up and deal again. hell, if im aliens, I can bounce around the ready room unmolested.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members

woops, misread that, anyway, I don't think anybody enjoys teleporting skulks, and most of the time im more amused than anything else. also, I don't really remember ragequitting all that much. incidentally, unless this is a pretty old recollection, I haven't really played under amoral consistently until about a month ago, and probably 4 months before that. and recently, I've tended to join on others and bounce from pub to pub with very little bearing from the current state of the game. rage quitting involved some level of rage no? what made you believe I was salty?

in general, I tend not to bitch and moan unless the comm is absolute garbage. the most I'll do, is push to concede a game that there is absolutely no hope of winning. say, 2 rts at the 10 minute mark with the other team holding 5+. sometimes I'll f4 in the hopes that others will join me, or sometimes I'll just run and hide instead.

I like pugs, people know when it's time to.concede, and shuffle up and deal again. hell, if im aliens, I can bounce around the ready room unmolested.

try to pay no attention to xao, he joined a server yesterday that was not rookie friendly filled with competitive players/pro players and basically accused me of hacking, telling me to take a screenshot and upload it to steam "right now" lol.

my point is there is no hard definition of what makes a rookie what makes a pro, what makes an average player, the only differentiating factor is the green name. otherwise its all up to peoples opinions
  • HummelHummel Join Date: 2013-08-13 Member: 186792Members
    You excuse-seekers make me laugh.

If you're running 3/1 ratios or higher regularly, you don't belong in a rookie friendly server, it's that simple. You're neither a rookie at that point, nor being friendly to the rookies forced to play with you. Go play normal servers, because that's what you're supposed to do, and you know it.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    Hummel wrote: »

If you're running 3/1 ratios or higher regularly, you don't belong in a rookie friendly server, it's that simple. You're neither a rookie at that point, nor being friendly to the rookies forced to play with you. Go play normal servers, because that's what you're supposed to do, and you know it.

really? i didnt know that!!! -sarcasm

obviously many of us do, the point that I, and many others, are making is that we will sometimes have these choices
    play another time
    play rookie friendly servers
    play high ping servers.

I do my best to avoid playing on rookie friendly servers, and as i said before, if your a rookie playing and learning with other rookies, you will forever be a rookie

back when ns2 launched every server listed was for rookies, EVERY single one if i recall, yet UWE asked US non rookie players to join up, command, and teach the new players, now things have changed, the people who are expected to teach is not allowed in this server based on this belief that rookie friendly servers are for rookies only.

try to pay no attention to xao, he joined a server yesterday that was not rookie friendly filled with competitive players/pro players and basically accused me of hacking, telling me to take a screenshot and upload it to steam "right now" lol.

my point is there is no hard definition of what makes a rookie what makes a pro, what makes an average player, the only differentiating factor is the green name. otherwise its all up to peoples opinions

think I heard that in the mumble, lols.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Dear sharp-shooter,
    25203707.jpg
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members

You clearly did not read the thread, nor understand the problem here. You provide pretty much nothing useful to this conversation.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013

3/1 is lol for a supposed "limit". Did you just throw that number out?

this is a game where people including myself can go 70/5 on a server with bad enough opponents, and it happens regularly enough
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    :DD how can everyone on rookie server have negative stats. Please 1+1 now
    Mattk50 wrote: »

this is a game where people including myself can go 70/5 on a server with bad enough opponents, and it happens regularly enough

70-5 is just trolling. a game really shouldn't be running passed the 40 kill point unless your the only person in the server with more than 10 hrs. I've got 60-2 before as marine commander before, but that was during a noobie weekend.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    Mattk50 wrote: »

70-5 is just trolling. a game really shouldn't be running passed the 40 kill point unless your the only person in the server with more than 10 hrs. I've got 60-2 before as marine commander before, but that was during a noobie weekend.

i've gone 70-5... and lost

pretty balanced teams I'd guess. just aliens are easy and marine turtle / exo is kind of OP
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    biz wrote: »
    i've gone 70-5... and lost

This happens more than people think... even pre 250 lol
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Yup, I went 77 5 on the losing team the other day, as well. There were just enough very good players on the other team for me not to be able to carry my n00bs to a victory over their n00bs, and I spent the whole game running away from properly good shotgunners, pretty much. It was about an hour long game. Quite fun actually, managed to help out many of the newbies a bit, while I was healing at the hive :)
    kalakuja wrote: »

crusher
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Yup, I went 77 5 on the losing team the other day, as well. There were just enough very good players on the other team for me not to be able to carry my n00bs to a victory over their n00bs, and I spent the whole game running away from properly good shotgunners, pretty much. It was about an hour long game. Quite fun actually, managed to help out many of the newbies a bit, while I was healing at the hive :)

how aggravated were you by the end at telling them to chew on res?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

They were doing a pretty reasonable job of it, actually! Their main issue was not having enough combat experience to win any engagements (or even to know when and when not to engage!). I quite enjoyed the game, and we did almost turn it around on a couple of occasions. Quite proud of my greenies that day tbh :)

They were doing a pretty reasonable job of it, actually! Their main issue was not having enough combat experience to win any engagements (or even to know when and when not to engage!). I quite enjoyed the game, and we did almost turn it around on a couple of occasions. Quite proud of my greenies that day tbh :)

:) I guess it can be said that res towers don't shoot back.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe we should introduce an overload marine comm action that destroys the res node for no res like recycle does, but instead delivers 100 damage to all nearby aliens... :P
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited August 2013
    kalakuja wrote: »
    o6ira.jpg