Marines are under powered and fps issue?

xDpPx_PrimexDpPx_Prime Join Date: 2013-08-14 Member: 186830Members
Please sort out the marine weapons the assault rifle doesn't do anything after 5-10 minutes of gameplay and also im having fps issues on LOW settings which shouldn't be happening i brought the game 5 days ago and its good but the guns need buffing up abit :)

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    The rifle can be quite powerful on weapons 3.

The fps issues are known... we had a perfomance increase, recently. There is a big content update incoming, maybe they will do something for the performance^^
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    As a marine, you're dependent on your commander getting upgrades. You can help your commander do this by following their orders to control as much of the map as is reasonable, while denying the alien team as much of the map as possible. By keeping alien upgrades down and getting your own tech up, even the base, free, bog-standard lmg can be an extremely powerful weapon.
    Some tips to get your started with your marine play: burst fire when you're confident you are going to hit. Fast-moving skulks and lerks can be very difficult to track, and until you've got used to the full 360-degree tracking this game requires, don't expect to aim like an experienced NS2 player.
    Make yourself difficult to bite. Don't run backwards as a light marine. Ever. Instead, you can turn your mouse 90 degrees, and strafe in the same direction to move 'backwards' much faster. Jumping can be useful to avoid skulks (at least until you get to the really top level skulks who will find you easier to kill this way).

There's nothing actually wrong currently with the marine weaponry, though there are some tweaks being done to try to give the marines a little boost.

FPS: what can I tell you, other than it used to be a HUGE amount worse. UWE have made massive improvements to performance, which is great, though I think even they would admit it's not *quite* where they'd like it to be yet. To get the most out of this game, you do really need a fairly decent PC, and there's not a lot of getting around that, I'm afraid.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    LMGs effectiveness late game depends on how well you aim. You should chip(damage) Lerks and Fades making it easier for your shotgun wielding comrades to finish the job. Also, LMG is hella strong at taking down Onos.
  • xDpPx_PrimexDpPx_Prime Join Date: 2013-08-14 Member: 186830Members
    Roobubba wrote: »
    FPS: what can I tell you, other than it used to be a HUGE amount worse. UWE have made massive improvements to performance, which is great, though I think even they would admit it's not *quite* where they'd like it to be yet. To get the most out of this game, you do really need a fairly decent PC, and there's not a lot of getting around that, I'm afraid.
    My pc is pretty decent and new (AMD fx-6350, 4gb 1600mhz ram, ASUS 6770 1gb gfx card, ASUS m5a78l-usb3 mobo :/ geting like 20fps lowest settings but like 60fps on bf3 so yea :/

thanks for the tips guys ^_^
    my aim is pretty decent tho already but im puting mag after mag in some aliens and they just manage to kill me :/

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2013
    Your GPU and CPU are a bit on the lower end of things. When you are in game you can type r_stats in console. I believe there is some indicator if your game is "Waiting on GPU" which would narrow down the bottleneck.

Disclaimer: This is all from memory as I rarely use the command. If anyone can acknowledge or correct the statement I would appreciate it. :P

Additional note: The aim required in NS2 is a lot different than most current FPS games. There is an incredible amount of tracking on the marines part.
    joshhh wrote: »
    Your GPU and CPU are a bit on the lower end of things. When you are in game you can type r_stats in console. I believe there is some indicator if your game is "Waiting on GPU" which would narrow down the bottleneck.

Disclaimer: This is all from memory as I rarely use the command. If anyone can acknowledge or correct the statement I would appreciate it. :P
    CPU on the low side????? its just came out its MOREEE than capable of running any current game its goes 10-20% usage it makes an i3 and some i5's look silly
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos

Please sort out the marine weapons the assault rifle doesn't do anything after 5-10 minutes of gameplay and also im having fps issues on LOW settings which shouldn't be happening i brought the game 5 days ago and its good but the guns need buffing up abit :)

If only you had typed "5 days ago" at the beginning...

Im confused :/
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    What clock is it running at? Presume stock at 3.9GHz. Should be okay, I guess. I'm running an i7 860 (3-4 years old) at 3.5GHz, together with a 5870. I can't recall off the top of my head how the 6770 compares with the 5870 (I suspect it's a fair bit slower, wasn't it almost identical to the 5770?), and as I am GPU throttled, I suspect this will be your bottleneck, too. Having 1GB RAM on the graphics card is probably not helping you massively, as NS2 is one of the most texture-rich games out there. I would drop all the graphics settings to low/off, especially any AA/AO and particle effects. Dropping textures down a bit might help, I can't remember if the full quality textures will run okay on 1GB or not (but you may find better performance running full Q textures as the CPU won't have to do any downsampling... God I hope that's right, I'm sure someone will correct me if it's not).

By overclocking the GFX, you might possibly get 50-100MHz out of the 6770 if you have a decent cooler and good thermal management in the case, but this will almost certainly reduce the lifespan of the graphics card, will almost certainly void any warranty you have, and might not actually give you that much real world boost.
    joshhh is absolutely correct about the r_stats command in console. If you see a consistent value >0 for the waiting for GPU (it might be 3ms or more, I suspect), then that's confirmation that you're being limited by the graphics card.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    The game has some balance-issues for sure atm.
    Just search the forum, you will find many threads about that.
    Possible fixes are coming in 2 weeks with the next big content upgrade.

But the weapon3 LMG ist still good against skulks, lerks, fades (if 2-3 focusing one fade), onos (if 4-5 focusing one onos) in lategame.
    The weapon is ok, if you are able to hit things.
    You should play a bit more than 5 days maybe before complaining about weapons.

The 6770 is an 2 year old low end graphics so it should be possible that this is your bottleneck.
    This part of your post fit more into the technical forum btw.
    Maybe you find threads with equal system specs there.

Im confused :/

He's saying that there are many, many players with 300, 400, 500+ hours of gaming in NS2 under their belts. Heck there are plenty with well over 1000+. PLENTY.

This game has a pretty steep learning curve, and honestly, unless you were an NS1 pro, I really wouldn't be expecting to do well after 5 days of playing it! It's worth sticking at, though - if you have decent aiming skills from other games, that's a good start :)
    Roobubba wrote: »
    What clock is it running at? Presume stock at 3.9GHz. Should be okay, I guess. I'm running an i7 860 (3-4 years old) at 3.5GHz, together with a 5870. I can't recall off the top of my head how the 6770 compares with the 5870 (I suspect it's a fair bit slower, wasn't it almost identical to the 5770?), and as I am GPU throttled, I suspect this will be your bottleneck, too. Having 1GB RAM on the graphics card is probably not helping you massively, as NS2 is one of the most texture-rich games out there. I would drop all the graphics settings to low/off, especially any AA/AO and particle effects. Dropping textures down a bit might help, I can't remember if the full quality textures will run okay on 1GB or not (but you may find better performance running full Q textures as the CPU won't have to do any downsampling... God I hope that's right, I'm sure someone will correct me if it's not).

By overclocking the GFX, you might possibly get 50-100MHz out of the 6770 if you have a decent cooler and good thermal management in the case, but this will almost certainly reduce the lifespan of the graphics card, will almost certainly void any warranty you have, and might not actually give you that much real world boost.
    joshhh is absolutely correct about the r_stats command in console. If you see a consistent value >0 for the waiting for GPU (it might be 3ms or more, I suspect), then that's confirmation that you're being limited by the graphics card.

Yes runing at 3.9 constant all settings are low but im guessing it has to be the gfx card as nothing else would cause it except AMD drivers but i just updated to BETA drivers so hopefully im gonna get some sort of increase and i will try that r_stats and post the result
    i do plan on sticking to it but shooting at something running straight towards me and having to use like 60 bullets is kinda annoying but i was just voicing my opinion so there is nothing wrong with that surely :)
    If anyone wants to play add me on steam ;D xDpPx_Prime
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2013
    joshhh wrote: »

CPU on the low side????? its just came out its MOREEE than capable of running any current game its goes 10-20% usage it makes an i3 and some i5's look silly

AMD CPU, nuff said. Also being better than an i3 isn't an achievement..
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2013
    here is the results

If "waiting for GPU" is not 0ms, that means your GPU is the bottleneck, which it is in your case. Are you really playing on low settings? Make sure stuff like bloom, shadows, ambient occlusion and atmospherics are off.
    edited August 2013
    Just because a CPU just released doesn't mean its going to be all that great. Your cpu is a mid(ish) level cpu. Just by looking at your screen cap, your system is being bottlenecked by your GPU. Anytime the game code is "waiting for GPU" or "waiting for render thread" your fps will suffer. The render thread refers to your cpu iirc. I am not sure if the 2ms is a side effect of the gpu bottleneck or a problem all on its own.
    guys the CPU is fine for god sake all because its amd doesn't mean it sucks its fine!!!! ghosthree3 please grow up being a Intel fan boy
    guys the CPU is fine for god sake all because its amd doesn't mean it sucks its fine!!!! ghosthree3 please grow up being a Intel fan boy

I assure you with the performance problems that essentially everyone here has had at some point (especially around release and before), we've seen thread after thread of people swearing blind that their mid-end CPUs weren't the problem, then proving that they were with screenshots. It might not sound great, but honestly a high end i5 or i7 is by far and away the best way to play this game, as its CPU requirements are quite high in comparison to most other games: there is a tonne of logic going on that other games don't have to deal with.

However, your GFX card is causing you the low fps. For reference, don't take the main menu or even the ready room as an accurate description of what goes on in the game: there are lots of things different between these areas and the in-game in-round scenario, which really is the only place you should be measuring performance!
    Just looking a that screenshot, if it's taking 25ms to display each frame on screen, and 19 of those are taken up by the graphics rendering process, you should be able to expect a much MUCH smoother gameplay experience with a beefier graphics card (at which point you'll become CPU limited, but hopefully the max fps you'll be able to get out of your FX chip will be playable).

• extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    slightly better

yea. looks like dropping your screen res might be the move.
    well hopefully they make some improvements so amd cpus are better supported
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    It's not your CPU holding you back, that's like 7ms waiting on GPU when it should be 0ms.

Time to get a better GPU or figure out what is making your GPU lag so much.

Because I have a AMD HD6970 2gb and I get 0ms waiting for GPU with low settings.
    Locklear wrote: »
    It's not your CPU holding you back, that's like 7ms waiting on GPU when it should be 0ms.

Time to get a better GPU or figure out what is making your GPU lag so much.

Because I have a AMD HD6970 2gb and I get 0ms waiting for GPU with low settings.

thank you

im thinking of upgrading to this http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-asus-radeon-hd-7790-directcu-ii-oc-6400mhz-gddr5-28nm-gpu-1000mhz-cores-896-dport-dl-dvi-hdmiplu
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation

I have an AMD CPU, they are just simply not as fast as Intel chips for single threaded operations. It is a fact not fan boyism. Sucks that AMD is on the decline but Intel is really the only choice for high end gaming performance at the moment.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    For all interested, I have an AMD Phenom II 965 x4 and an Geforce GTX 560 and average about 80 fps, with 0 ms waiting for GPU

AMD CPUs are fine.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Put your resolution down a bit and it should improve your fps.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    We have a tech support forum.. But anyone can tell you its your gpu from that screenshot.

Also there is no game engine comparable to spark. (what ns2 uses) so saying source or bf3 or unreal 3 runs perfect does not mean it will for ns2.
    We could go on about the Grand Canyon of differences but just trust me on this ;-)
    Benson wrote: »
    For all interested, I have an AMD Phenom II 965 x4 and an Geforce GTX 560 and average about 80 fps, with 0 ms waiting for GPU

AMD CPUs are fine.

Well, your system isn't GPU bottlenecked, which means it's most likely CPU throttled at that ;)