Skulk Camera Flip on Wall/ceiling climbs

virginboyvirginboy Join Date: 2013-08-05 Member: 186577Members
I think it would help if the view would flip realistically like in the Aliens vs. Predator games. I'm not saying it has to completely replace the mode it has now, I think this should be an OPTION the player can toggle on or off in the options tab. The current way it is, it is really hard to run along the ceilings because there is so many buttresses and frames and junk in the way. I try to walk over them but I keep falling off because i have to be CONSTANTLY facing the ceiling to stay on it as I am running. I think it should be like, you hold down Lshift or capslock to stay on the ceiling so it would automatically hug the ceiling as you walk over ledges, then you release it or jump to get off. Pretty much exactly how Aliens vs. Predator does it.

Please consider this, I saw that you all tried it in one of your old alpha videos so, it shouldn't be much work to add this feature.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Ah this suggestion again, that's like thread 8972382 me thinks :P
  • virginboyvirginboy Join Date: 2013-08-05 Member: 186577Members
    then they should do something about it already! the people have spoken!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    As an option it would be nice yeah...
  • IronmanIronman Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149184Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    go play that nausiating avp game then if you want that experience.

No thank you! worst idea ever. i really like the current camera for skulk. makes sense to me.
  • jurethjureth Join Date: 2013-07-24 Member: 186363Members
    edited August 2013
    Ironman wrote: »
    go play that nausiating avp game then if you want that experience.

No thank you! worst idea ever. i really like the current camera for skulk. makes sense to me.

It should be optional.
    I really liked the effect and made it easier to navigate the ceiling.The best part is if you were holding shift you would not fall off the wall and the surfaces were designed with wall crawling in mind.

I would like to stick to walls better with the current system but the camera viewing and holding a button to "stick" seem more intuitive.
  • RenohRenoh Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165298Members
    edited August 2013
    I'm interested in modding and have wanted to do this for a while. I might give it a crack and see if I can modify the camera rotation (there's already a slight one on walls) so that it flips 90 degrees on walls. The ceiling would be harder to do since there is no default ceiling rotation as far as I can tell.
    I would like to stick to walls better with the current system but the camera viewing and holding a button to "stick" seem more intuitive.

This would also require quite a bit of work and would have to be a server side modification with client.
    edited August 2013
    The camera is the easy part. The inputs from the mouse (pitching, yawing) and keyboard (strafing) are absolute, so everything gets messed up when the camera rotates or strafes.

For example, when you press 'A' on the ground, you move in a negative x direction, or left from your orientation.

Then, if you imagine that you are now rotated 90 degrees on a wall to your right, pressing 'A' will move you in a negative x direction, except that x direction is absolute and not relative to your view, so you fly off the wall in an upward direction (according to your view). To someone on the ground, you moved left off the wall.

The mouse movement gets even more messed up because it uses two angles to determine your view (pitch and yaw), and they are also tied to a ground orientation, meaning that pitching your mouse up while sideways (same 90 degree position before) will pitch your view UP relative to the ground, but it will yaw to the right relative to the wall.

Sigh.

Note: It might not be the x axis but instead the z axis that I am talking about, I'll figure it out when I start messing with the code
  • RumseyRumsey Join Date: 2013-01-21 Member: 181012Members
    I actually agree that this would be cool as an option, but I dunno how practical it would be.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    It has been tryed and people gets sick and disorientated.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Imagine Bhoppi--- im sorry.. "advanced movement" with this on, every time you bounce into a wall, SPIN, then you bounce again, SPIN.
    urghh
    I feel unwell just imagining it.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    Just download tremulous and see how much worse that style is in comparison for competetive game. Everyone would opt for the current as it doesn't disorient your view.
    kalakuja wrote: »
    Just download tremulous and see how much worse that style is in comparison for competetive game. Everyone would opt for the current as it doesn't disorient your view.

It wouldn't be terribly hard to add a option that allows you to switch between no tilt, the slight tilt that is in the game now, and full rotation.

The real challenge is changing the input so that everything works relative to your camera when wallwalking.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited August 2013
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    Imagine Bhoppi--- im sorry.. "advanced movement" with this on, every time you bounce into a wall, SPIN, then you bounce again, SPIN.
    urghh

Add half a second delay. Done.

edit: I actually played on a server once where marine movement produced similar camera movements. I felt a bit sick afterwards.
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    urghh

Add half a second delay. Done.

edit: I actually played on a server once where marine movement produced similar camera movements. I felt a bit sick afterwards.

The game already has a camera speed option, it would be possible to make a slider that accompanies the mod to adjust the rotation speed to your liking. It might even be possible to automatically adjust the speed depending on the difference of the angles (would have to fix control issues before I start on this).

As far as I've seen, no one has got the controls to work 100% from any angle, although there have been a lot of ideas in threads, such as http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/115601/skulk-view-rotation (Warning: Lots of math involving vectors).

Also,
    SKULK VIEW ROTATION, FROM THE ARCHIVES
    Posted by unknownworlds 6 years ago
    As I mentioned on the last podcast, Charlie and I came across an old video while checking the Natural Selection backups for a file. The video is a demo I sent to Charlie back in April 2003 of the first person Skulk view rotation I was working on.

As most of you probably know, we decided not to include the first person effect in Natural Selection, so this video is the only surviving example of that feature. The decision not to include the view alignment when walking on walls was motivated by the simple fact that we could never get it to work well enough for our tastes. This isn’t totally apparent in the simple test map in the video, but take my word for it.

The old dev video that showed full view rotation didn't show enough of the sideways and upsidedown footage for viewers to realize that it didn't work correctly.