Any plans for a physical release?

MingaMinga Join Date: 2013-08-02 Member: 186510Members
I was just wondering if there are any plans for a physical release of NS2. I am a collector, and I like to have physical copies of game I love. Especially boxed copies; I can't get enough of those. NS2 is no exception, and I hope that one day I'll be able to display it on my shelf.

I know in this day and age physical mediums seem silly. But, call me weird, I like to have a copy I can actually hold in my hands while admiring the artwork.

Comments

• dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    That sounds kinda cool actually, I wish I had though about it for my AOE set :P

But, I doubt UWE would make a physical box or anything... maybe if they introduced paid DLC later?
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Sorry, Minga. That would be cool, but currently there are no plans to do a physical box, and I can't see that it would be worth the time and large cost for an indie game like NS2.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    research a cost run a kickstarter for it. Job done. If you make the cost then good, if not then it doesn't get done.
  • MingaMinga Join Date: 2013-08-02 Member: 186510Members
    Sorry, Minga. That would be cool, but currently there are no plans to do a physical box, and I can't see that it would be worth the time and large cost for an indie game like NS2.

That's a shame, but I understand. Maybe one day if when you guys get enough funds for the sequel, you can do it then.
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Minga, maybe you can put the gorge plushie on your shelve as a replacement once it it available :)
  • MingaMinga Join Date: 2013-08-02 Member: 186510Members
    Sammey wrote: »
    Minga, maybe you can put the gorge plushie on your shelve as a replacement once it it available :)
    Ha, I didn't even know that existed. I just might get one.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Given that the game is 100% online, keeping it as a download only seems like a logical choice.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    kk20 wrote: »
    research a cost run a kickstarter for it. Job done. If you make the cost then good, if not then it doesn't get done.

It isn't just the cost, it is the time to put all that together and distribute it, which is time spent not working on the actual game.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    Thats why you kickstarter it you cost in someone to do it. I. E. Hire someone or contract it.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Should do a commercial then. You already have a ton of footage, i'm sure there's more to it than that, but it'd be nice to see it on TV. :)
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    Syknik wrote: »
    Should do a commercial then. You already have a ton of footage, i'm sure there's more to it than that, but it'd be nice to see it on TV. :)

T.V Advertising campaigns are extremely expensive, you're talking £1000's for each 30second advert. (i.e. Each showing) An Indie game is not likely to see a return from T.V. advertising.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members

It isn't just the cost, it is the time to put all that together and distribute it, which is time spent not working on the actual game.

I thought that was what Hugh was for, or is he too busy getting his face painted?
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I agree with the dev's decision not to produce a physical copy. Why creating more litter to be expensively shipped around the globe? This is the age of digital distribution, if you want a physical artifact you could associate with owning the game, publish a pdf on how to carve a skulk miniature from wood, so that each user can carve it, place it by your display, mission accomplished. You will have a feeling of accomplishing something, like I had when I finished painting all the Space Hulk 3rd edition miniatures.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Face painting is SERIOUS business!
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    distribution is not the same as promoting & pr.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members

which raises the question: whats the actual game?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    derWalter wrote: »

which raises the question: whats the actual game?

"Beyond the Zen of Sudoku" of course :-w