Rebind/disable your middle mouse wheel using options.xml

SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
edited October 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I've found a way to rebind the mouse when in the game using the options.xml file.
In Steam/userdata/USERID/4920/remote/options.xml look for a value called "NextWeapon", which should be bound to "MouseZ"
For people who want to disable the middle wheel entirely, just remap the value to an unused key, n for example.
For those who want to use middle mouse wheel for something else, just change MouseZ to the action key of your choice, crouch for example. Whatever key you use for crouch, put in MouseZ for it.

Comments

• kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    Kool!
    And why this isnt in the options menu is a mystery.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Yeah it is. I'm sure some talented programmer/modder could figure out how to include it in the options menu. If UWE doesn't.
  • SkualSkual Join Date: 2013-07-30 Member: 186469Members
    Hi,

thanks for sharing, I was so happy when I reading this post. But it seems that I do not have any options.xml file in the Steam/userdata/USERID/4920/ folder. I have one in the Steam/userdata/USERID/4920/remote/ folder but it does not contain mouse.z or next/previous weapon.

Do you mind sharing your file as I might be able to edit the one I have to match yours?

Thanks!
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    @Skual oops typo. system_options.xml is in AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2 which is the graphics setting. options.xml is the one you are looking for. I had it right in subject line of thread ;)
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Now, how to bind mouse scroll to jump?

Just feels so awkward trying to bunnyhop using spacebar.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Res wrote: »

Replace space at <Jump></Jump> with mouse.z bind NextWeapon to some other key.

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Res wrote: »

Replace space at <Jump></Jump> with mouse.z bind NextWeapon to some other key.

What if I want to be able to jump with scrollwheel and spacebar as well?

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    by default you only can bind one key to one feature , i would suggest to do the folloing: add <Space> mouse.z </Space> and keep jump to Space. Otherwise use the hotkey software of your mouse .
    hi again,

I found the file you were talking about, it included <Jump>space</Jump> but I never found the mouse.z function.. I tried replacing "space" by "mouse.z" but it didn't work. Am I having a weird options.xml file?
    Use the find function of your text editor. NextWeapon
    I cannot find NextWeapon, I am listing here the options.xml file that I have in D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\111294\4920\remote

I changed jump to mouse.z but it is not working and my space bar still jumps... ??
    <options>
    <input>
    <Weapon2>2</Weapon2>
    <Weapon3>3</Weapon3>
    <Weapon4>4</Weapon4>
    <RequestHealth>Q</RequestHealth>
    <Weapon5>5</Weapon5>
    <MoveLeft>A</MoveLeft>
    <Crouch>LeftControl</Crouch>
    <PingLocation>MouseButton2</PingLocation>
    <ReadyRoom>F4</ReadyRoom>
    <PrimaryAttack>MouseButton0</PrimaryAttack>
    <TextChat>Y</TextChat>
    <TeamChat>U</TeamChat>
    <mouse>
    <acceleration-amount>1.000000</acceleration-amount>
    <rawinput>true</rawinput>
    <invert>false</invert>
    <acceleration>false</acceleration>
    <sensitivity>5.939998</sensitivity>
    </mouse>
    <ToggleFlashlight>F</ToggleFlashlight>
    <QuickSwitch>MouseButton3</QuickSwitch>
    <Buy>B</Buy>
    <Taunt>T</Taunt>
    <VoteYes>F1</VoteYes>
    <MoveRight>D</MoveRight>
    <MovementModifier>LeftShift</MovementModifier>
    <RequestMenu>X</RequestMenu>
    <ShowMap>C</ShowMap>
    <RequestOrder>H</RequestOrder>
    <MoveBackward>S</MoveBackward>
    <VoteNo>F2</VoteNo>
    <Jump>mouse.z</Jump>
    <SecondaryAttack>MouseButton1</SecondaryAttack>
    <Scoreboard>Tab</Scoreboard>
    <Use>E</Use>
    <RequestAmmo>Z</RequestAmmo>
    <ToggleConsole>Grave</ToggleConsole>
    <MoveForward>W</MoveForward>
    <Drop>G</Drop>
    <VoiceChat>MouseButton4</VoiceChat>
    <Reload>R</Reload>
    <Weapon1>1</Weapon1>
    </input>
    <filter_servername>Multip</filter_servername>
    <botsSettings_marineCom>true</botsSettings_marineCom>
    <armorType>Green</armorType>
    <locale>enUS</locale>
    <help>
    <guiskulkleaphelp>2</guiskulkleaphelp>
    <guimarinehealthrequesthelp>2</guimarinehealthrequesthelp>
    <guimaphelp>1</guimaphelp>
    <guifadeblinkhelp>2</guifadeblinkhelp>
    <guitunnelentrancehelp>1</guitunnelentrancehelp>
    <guibuyshotgunhelp>2</guibuyshotgunhelp>
    <guimarinejetpackhelp>2</guimarinejetpackhelp>
    <guigorgehealhelp>2</guigorgehealhelp>
    <guialienvisionhelp>2</guialienvisionhelp>
    <guimarineflashlighthelp>2</guimarineflashlighthelp>
    <guiskulkparasitehelp>1</guiskulkparasitehelp>
    <guievolvehelp>2</guievolvehelp>
    <guigorgebellyslidehelp>2</guigorgebellyslidehelp>
    <guifadeshadowstephelp>2</guifadeshadowstephelp>
    </help>
    <filter_full>true</filter_full>
    <botsSettings_numAlienBots>8</botsSettings_numAlienBots>
    <timePlayedSeconds>90150</timePlayedSeconds>
    <botsSettings_numMarineBots>8</botsSettings_numMarineBots>
    <rookieMode>false</rookieMode>
    <preventFirstTimeWindow>true</preventFirstTimeWindow>
    <serverName>NS2 Listen Server</serverName>
    <minimap-zoom>0.594118</minimap-zoom>
    <filter_passworded>false</filter_passworded>
    <botsSettings_alienCom>false</botsSettings_alienCom>
    <recordingGain>1.000000</recordingGain>
    <lastConnectedServer>91.236.254.12:27021</lastConnectedServer>
    <showHints>true</showHints>
    <CameraAnimation>false</CameraAnimation>
    <mods>
    <active_mods>9bdcc8b</active_mods>
    </mods>
    <sendBotsCommands>false</sendBotsCommands>
    <filter_maxping>0.12631578947368</filter_maxping>
    <gameMod>ns2</gameMod>
    <commanderHelp>true</commanderHelp>
    <playerLimit>16</playerLimit>
    <mapName>Summit</mapName>
    <filter_hasplayers>true</filter_hasplayers>
    <filter_rookie>false</filter_rookie>
    <nickname>Skual</nickname>
    <drawDamage>true</drawDamage>
    <botsSettings_marineSkillLevel>Intermediate</botsSettings_marineSkillLevel>
    <filter_tickrate>1</filter_tickrate>
    <lastServerMapName></lastServerMapName>
    </options>

Interessting that you don't have NextWeapon. Just one question do you want jump by scolling or by pressing the Scrollwheel?
    scrolling sir! :)

by the way, I deleted the section with the TIPS because my post was being rejected (I guess it was too long)
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I've seen players using that and i do believe it is not good for the game right now. When a player (usually marine) use mouse-wheel it produce an overload of command sent to the server (as there is no filter). It produce a lag that benefit the mouse-wheel user. I've seen that repeatedly for the same players while others on the same server just don't "micro-lag". Winning by lag is bad.

I'm totally for freedom of key-binding but not a the expense of quality. I mean you will feel better with your keys while you ruin the other players game experience. If all players do that, what's gonna happen ??? worse? NS isn't about pistolero style.

I do vote for mouse-wheel but not without filtering keystrokes properly as it can become a nasty technical issue.
    well then it is ok as the wheel is used to bunny hope which is on the Alien side.

And anyway, I would still like to understand why my file is not working and not the same as the other guys
    edited October 2013
    FYI it is MouseZ if it doesn't work. Oddly enough I don't see the MouseY that should be in
    there too.
    edited August 2013
    Skual wrote: »
    well then it is ok as the wheel is used to bunny hope which is on the Alien side.

And anyway, I would still like to understand why my file is not working and not the same as the other guys

Add <NextWeapon> anykey </NextWeapon> to your file, think the engine stopps you from doing two things at the same time with one key.

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos