Marine jumping and firing mechanics

inveigleinveigle Join Date: 2004-01-07 Member: 25117Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
I have been playing NS since inception as an HL mod. I love this game and have over 1500 hours logged in NS2 alone. What I enjoy most is the amount strategy this game employs and that it truly is teamwork over single player kills. I roll with all your changes and find that most often I can see where you are going. That being said, maines that can jump their own height and bunny hop ad infinitum, have to be addressed please. Marines should not be able to move like this. I propose reducing their jumping to two times before they get winded and all jumping should negate aiming and increase bullet spread exponentially. I am open for others solutions as I did not wish to cry out without presenting one of my own. What are your thoughts for solutions other than the "Dude, there is nothing wrong with it, you just suck" mentality?

Comments

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2013
    Oh, this thread again

I don't think it needs to be changed, but if you HAD to change something, just increase the "recharge" time between full jumps. Do not touch the lmg spread.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Marines can't bunny hop, and they most definitely can't jump infinitely, at least not outside of the readyroom.
  • Nexus5Nexus5 Join Date: 2013-07-27 Member: 186420Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Neoken wrote: »
    Marines can't bunny hop, and they most definitely can't jump infinitely, at least not outside of the readyroom.

Its strange as I have seen a lot of marines bunny hop there way through 3 skulks and still be hopping after the win ...? Is it some type of hack then or just a glitch in the games mechanics they are exploiting, whether aware of it or not? t seems a bit silly that a marine can out hop 3 skulks and live to tell the tale.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

You're wrong. It is possible to bunnyhop as marines and gain speed going down slopes. You can even gain a speed on the tram tracks to rush north / south tunnels. It is also possible if the gradient and length of slope allows, to go faster than skulks.
  • reeqlreeql Join Date: 2013-05-05 Member: 185125Members
    Just add mechanics that slowers rine speed after taking damage (excludes range weapons like spit, spike and parasite or spores). An another idea: increase spread of guns while jumping or add cooldown or stamina bar for marine. We say NO for rine whos spamming jump button. It looks dumb and makes beginer skulks angry because its too hard to kill flying over head marine.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    nachos wrote: »

You're wrong. It is possible to bunnyhop as marines and gain speed going down slopes. You can even gain a speed on the tram tracks to rush north / south tunnels. It is also possible if the gradient and length of slope allows, to go faster than skulks.

Yeah and if you land wrong or stop going down a slope you sometimes stop dead in your tracks, also I've yet to see a single person get a kill doing this; It's not a problem like you make it out to be

Also you rarely go faster than a skulk, you need to land it 'right' to gain speed like that and even then you're never faster than a skulk who is wall hopping
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Nexus5 wrote: »

Its strange as I have seen a lot of marines bunny hop there way through 3 skulks and still be hopping after the win ...? Is it some type of hack then or just a glitch in the games mechanics they are exploiting, whether aware of it or not? t seems a bit silly that a marine can out hop 3 skulks and live to tell the tale.

If you hold only A/Q or D while pressing jump, you'll jump farther. It's what most experienced marines will do to dodge a skulk and maximize the distance between them. It can buy enough time for the jump "cooldown" to wear off, so you can dodge again if there's still skulks around.

I've survived encounters with multiple skulks myself this way, but only because the skulks in said encounters were just terribly inexperienced. A decent skulk is less likely to miss his bites.

Yes, you can gain a speed boost by jumping of a slope. But that's not bunnyhopping, is it? Nor is it something you can do indefinitely, as you'll lose that speed boost quickly after landing on a flat surface.
  • inveigleinveigle Join Date: 2004-01-07 Member: 25117Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Thank you all for the intelligent and serious input here. I believe that there is an issue and I hope the DEVs look into it.
    seems a bit silly that a marine can out hop 3 skulks and live to tell the tale.
    Just add mechanics that slowers rine speed after taking damage
    just increase the "recharge" time between full jumps
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    ezekel wrote: »

Yeah and if you land wrong or stop going down a slope you sometimes stop dead in your tracks, also I've yet to see a single person get a kill doing this; It's not a problem like you make it out to be

Also you rarely go faster than a skulk, you need to land it 'right' to gain speed like that and even then you're never faster than a skulk who is wall hopping

I have one in a pub, one in a pug/gather, and I failed at one for 70-80 dmg in a scrim/pcw :(
  • AyanomooseAyanomoose Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185153Members
    Some people are just good at dodging and make it LOOK like they're bunnyhopping. Although a lot of the times it's just because the aliens are bad and glued to the ground. You can't do much about that, but increasing the recharge time sounds like it might work. Decent players already know how to time their jumps anyways.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    ezekel wrote: »

How does one "land wrong" on a slope?

I've killed people using this in map testing in games you've been a part of. Perhaps you didn't see it, but it happens. I also like to do it on skylights stairs if skulks use the vent. They literally can't keep up with me and I get an easy 1-2 frags. You are right that they can catch me if they wall jump or have held their momentum.

With jump queuing for marines, it's dead easy. You just queue your jump...

I'm not saying it's a problem. In fact I quite like the mechanic. It would be nice to remove jump queuing from marines though to make it more skill based.
    Yes, you can gain a speed boost by jumping of a slope. But that's not bunnyhopping, is it? Nor is it something you can do indefinitely, as you'll lose that speed boost quickly after landing on a flat surface.
    Bunnyhopping as a means of strafe jumping to increase speed or repeatedly jumping to avoid damage, I don't care what you call it in one word. It's obvious that we're talking about marines repeatedly jumping.

Here let me make a new word and define it as this -

Bouncyballing.

The marine is jumping repeatedly to avoid damage by increasing his speed intially to have it then decrease after landing on a flat surface. Much like a bouncy ball.