do marines really need arcs?

ph30nixph30nix Join Date: 2013-07-28 Member: 186439Members
Can someone explain why marines need arcs?
There is no turtle situation the aliens can create that a half decent marine team can not crush with a little effort.

2 exos a gl a fl then either a few macs or welders and any alien base is trashed.

Im not saying that situation is a definate win but skill levels being equal the advantage is defiantly with the marines.

so what need does the arc fill except to be a instant win button If used properly?

Comments

• TharosTharos Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175439Members
    2 exos a gl a fl then either a few macs or welders and any alien base is trashed.
    When you don't have this available for 1 push. Example : taking down nano from west a east junction (in veil)
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    edited July 2013
    Can someone explain why aliens need bilebomb?
    There is no turtle situation the marines can create that a half decent alien team can not crush with a little effort.

2 onos a fade a spore lerk and a couple of gorges then attack the power node and any marine base is trashed.

I'm not saying that situation is a definate [sic] win but skill levels being equal the advantage is defiantly [sic] with the aliens.

so what need does bilebomb fill except to be a instant win button If used properly?
  • ph30nixph30nix Join Date: 2013-07-28 Member: 186439Members
    There is no turtle situation the marines can create that a half decent alien team can not crush with a little effort.

2 onos a fade a spore lerk and a couple of gorges then attack the power node and any marine base is trashed.

I'm not saying that situation is a definate [sic] win but skill levels being equal the advantage is defiantly [sic] with the aliens.

so what need does bilebomb fill except to be a instant win button If used properly?

Bit of fail as its not a good comparison. I view gl as a better comparison to bile than anything else.

my question is more in line of why do they need it? Aliens have nothing like it. Bile bomb from a low health unit with short range requiring line of sight vs a unit with massive range and can target thru anything as long as any vision of target is available.

I just dont feel they even need to be in the game period.

and nano is just an anti marine hell from which escape is impossible.

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    There are situations where it's required. It creates interesting fights where aliens must choose to try and clear the marines defending or leave it and take advantage of the marines guarding the siege.

Anyway I think a siege unit existing is fine. I don't see why it needs to be movable or why they still glitch around the map and drive over each other / through alien structures.

• kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    I forsee them causing problems if people ever start using them alot more often and as part of good strats.

I have been on both ends of a good team using them and it was horrific.

Have to wait and see I guess
    edited July 2013
    ph30nix wrote: »

Bit of fail as its not a good comparison. I view gl as a better comparison to bile than anything else.

my question is more in line of why do they need it? Aliens have nothing like it. Bile bomb from a low health unit with short range requiring line of sight vs a unit with massive range and can target thru anything as long as any vision of target is available.

I just dont feel they even need to be in the game period.

and nano is just an anti marine hell from which escape is impossible.

They are both turtle breaking/siege/building destroying tools, hence the comparison. GLs don't do near as much damage to structures as bilebomb does, so the comparison is moot. In fact, a while ago some people liked to complain about how 2 gorges and maybe an onos could take a base out of commission just by focusing the power.

If you want help dealing with arcs just remember this:

With any sort of map awareness you should be able to spot an arc push coming from a mile away and deal with it accordingly.

Arcs are slow, weak to bile bomb because they usually need to be close together to hit the same target, lose their armor when they deploy, and it is expensive to build up enough for a good push. Generally hives are in the center of a room so most common arc positions are just outside of the hive, making it perfectly possible to hit them with bile for any half decent gorge. Remember welders cannot weld everything at once, and if you let that many macs build up along with the arcs you really haven't been putting on enough pressure.

This is assuming you had zero map awareness and just let them roll up to your door instead of spotting them on the map and trying to hit them en route. Or you can easily just backstab the marine base with those gorges while the arcs are moving across the map.

Just take solace in the fact that arcs used to be much faster and had a much longer range before 250 yet many people had no trouble with them whatsoever.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    GLs don't do near as much damage to structures as bilebomb does

I don't think this is accurate. I think people are still living in the past where letting 1-2 gorges free in your base for 10 sec meant that everything got wrecked.

Bilebomb is HORRIBLY weak nowdays. Just try and remember when was the last time you cursed bilebomb for destroying everything? It doesn't happen anymore. Killing 1 ARC with bile takes like 5 biles. MACs just laugh at bile, while before they used to drop dead from one?

This is just the impression I've got. I've no actual numbers.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    kk20 wrote: »
    Arcs deny nano :)

lol they should just call it "ARC-o-grid". ARCs are fun but can be an expensive loss for marines if the siege fails. I've gotten in the habit of building them locally at the siege site, much more efficient than slow boating them across the map.

I don't think this is accurate. I think people are still living in the past where letting 1-2 gorges free in your base for 10 sec meant that everything got wrecked.

Bilebomb is HORRIBLY weak nowdays. Just try and remember when was the last time you cursed bilebomb for destroying everything? It doesn't happen anymore. Killing 1 ARC with bile takes like 5 biles. MACs just laugh at bile, while before they used to drop dead from one?

They haven't changed the damage of bile recently, just the range.

Bile does double damage to armor and each hit stacks as well. You also don't have to reload bile but you do run out of energy.

Bile is 22 damage per second splash over 11 seconds and the effect stacks with each bile. GLs are (or were, this is from the wiki) 130 damage with double damage to structures.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013

You forget about the fact that gorges only cost 5 res and bile can come out ~5 minutes into a round. Bile is pretty ridiculous still, to the point where I know of a few commanders that have quit playing ns2 because of how easy it is to win with bilebomb now. 2 gorges can take out ips + armslab + armory in about 10 seconds flat
    Again im not saying arcs are op. Just what real purpose do they fill?
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    I forsee them causing problems if people ever start using them alot more often and as part of good strats.

I have been on both ends of a good team using them and it was horrific.

Have to wait and see I guess
    I can see why you'd think that and it's fair to say Arcs have had their share of problems over the various builds of NS2. But Arcs are relatively fine at the moment so long as the alien team responds decisively. That doesn't mean every alien continuously streams towards the arcs only to be farmed by the marines guarding them. It does mean unlocking bile bomb as soon as arcs are noticed (if not earlier with the presence of robofac, macs or sentries, all of which are hard countered by bile bomb). It also means understanding any tRes spent on Arcs is tRes not spent on upgrades, so marines should be more squishy. A decent response to Arcs is to organise a rush on marine spawn, forcing a beacon which frees up gorges to go bile bomb the arcs.

What you'll probably find is that most pub commanders/khammanders don't react or change their notional 'build queue' when this kind of key information is uncovered. A classic example is marine commanders keep working on phase gates and upgrades when aliens go for shade upgrades. Instead, marines should spend more money on scans, mines and building obs at forward bases to nullify the advantages created by phantom... There's not much depth to the RTS elements of NS2 but what is there has a substantial influence on the outcomes.

As for OPs question - yes we need arcs. They add some strategic choice to NS2.
  • StormApanStormApan Join Date: 2007-06-17 Member: 61280Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    With the unit cap the ARC gets even more OP as aliens can not stack defensive structures like before, whips, crags etc.
    Maybe a limit of online arcs discussion is revived?
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    StormApan wrote: »
    With the unit cap the ARC gets even more OP as aliens can not stack defensive structures like before, whips, crags etc.
    Maybe a limit of online arcs discussion is revived?

Marines also have a unit cap, ARCs count for 20
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited July 2013
    I feel that arcs have become a bit redundant. Even without arcs marines don't have anywhere near the trouble assaulting a dug in base as aliens do, they can clear out just about anything with grenades and flamethrowers easily enough. Arcs just make things too easy for marines in certain circumstances. They also limit and dictate map design more than any other feature in the game
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'd rather siege turrets that were expensive, took a decent amount of time to build, and had a recycle refund of 50% of % hp remaining instead of the usual 75%.

Not a huge fan of surprise ARC train tbh.
  • WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I do feel that ARCs are redundant, but they are also unfun for both teams. The fact that they don't need line of sight to fire makes it confusing for Aliens to combat them, and less for Marines. They aren't the focal point of the battle, as they should be. Instead, they are left to the sidelines. They should need line of sight, and they should require a concerted effort by the Marines to defend them, as well as a concerted effort by Aliens to bring them down. Perhaps give them more health to compensate for this change.

ARCs just aren't working for me in their current stage. They look clunky and weird when they move in groups, and don't make much visual sense. How does a gun attack through walls?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    a good marine siege was the most fun part of ns1

I really hated Cargo siege though. Seriously, that's the one I remember most, because ugh...
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

I really hated Cargo siege though. Seriously, that's the one I remember most, because ugh...

You can still simulate the experience in NS2, just build the ARC factory locally and pop out 3 ARCs. Also cargo is still hard to siege.

Hard? I remember it as being scarily easy from the Y-Junc area.
  • The_Flying_FishThe_Flying_Fish Join Date: 2003-11-30 Member: 23757Members
    the problem is the experience isn't the same, you don't have people desperately trying to build and shoot at the same time, instead the factory is just churning out arcs while you guard it.
    ^Pretty much this, the problem is ARCing is rediculously easy with fairly low risk if you have marines guarding it. Taking the time to build siege cannons without dying, then covering them while they fire was much more intense and a way bigger investment (they don't just roll on to the next target).
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would disagree with OP. Arcs are another strategic element to the game. They ARE the focal point of the marines when the "train" pulls out of base. It also means there is less exposure of the marines in a hive. In a perfectly played game (ie. Comp.), they are not generally used because for the cost, getting upgrades and JP is more useful at that skill level. But in pubs, it gives Marines something to focus on if they can't coordinate an assault on a hive (or aliens are just well coordinated). I think it just adds another string to the RTS bow in NS.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    I would disagree with OP. Arcs are another strategic element to the game. They ARE the focal point of the marines when the "train" pulls out of base. It also means there is less exposure of the marines in a hive. In a perfectly played game (ie. Comp.), they are not generally used because for the cost, getting upgrades and JP is more useful at that skill level. But in pubs, it gives Marines something to focus on if they can't coordinate an assault on a hive (or aliens are just well coordinated). I think it just adds another string to the RTS bow in NS.

So you are basically saying that Arcs are only useful when the marine team is too incompetent to push with teamwork instead.
  • RadmanRadman Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184656Members
    People are missing the point, i think. OP is wondering why marines even have arcs, they have no need for them. If anything Aliens are the ones who need help sieging a marine base.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Again im not saying arcs are op. Just what real purpose do they fill?

They give the marines an alternative strategy to clear alien hive rooms. Instead of going on the offensive and risk losing all your gear and, depending on the situation, having a lower chance of success, you go for the slower, more costly (tres-wise) approach, but this time you get to defend and recycle all your gear. There are many ways for the aliens to counter ARCs, to the point that they're only viable in very specific map locations where the marine team has the clear defensive advantage.

ARCs are mainly used in situations where the aliens have the upper hand in combat, i.e. there are a lot of fades on the field. This forces the marines on the defensive. IF the marines didn't have any alternatives to just rushing a hive, they would be forced to sit on their phase gates and hope to rack up enough fade kills fast enough to be able to push out, something that already happens too much and the comp meta is very stale because of this.

And yes, you are saying ARCs are op. No, they are not op. They are an extremely situational, slow-to-produce and easily-predicted resource hog that the aliens have multiple ways of countering.

• PopturePopture Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172879Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    For pub play they can be invaluable for teams who, for various reasons (experience + skill), can't get their shit together. Though the opening post is probably correct when it says, 'any half decent team', fortunately UWE develops for the rest of us too.