Friendly Fire

FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
It bothers me quite a bit as to why we aren't playing competitive games with friendly fire on. I don't think having it off makes any bit of sense. 

I'm not looking to rant here, but I'd like to know what people think about this and maybe hear some good points about the issue

Comments

• SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm all up for having friendly fire enabled in competitive matches, back in NS1 it was enabled for competitive play...  Not sure why it isn't on now, never bothered to ask.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Agreed. 
    I guess the reason it isn't is because it isn't an option in the default game. 

There's a friendly fire mod on workshop, and is an option in DAK. 

• FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Yup, would be fun. They should be toggleable on pub servers too, but I'm afraid that tard nation would rise if it was enabled on pubs.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2013
    Fule said:
    Yup, would be fun. They should be toggleable on pub servers too, but I'm afraid that tard nation would rise if it was enabled on pubs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWILhrSzw5o

On a more serious note though, public play with friendly fire would be pure chaos! Just a question, how would you like to see bilebombs/grenadelaunchers/flamethrowers/mines/turret fire/whip balls/spores handled? During cheat mode the AOE's don't do anything to the same team right?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Please stop talking about public play. I would have posted in general discussion if that was any part of the point.

Also, what's the need to disparage people playing public games here?
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Kouji_San said:

On a more serious note though, public play with friendly fire would be pure chaos! Just a question, how would you like to see bilebombs/grenadelaunchers/flamethrowers/mines/turret fire/whip balls/spores handled? During cheat mode the AOE's don't do anything to the same team right?

I guess NS1 isn't a good enough starting point to what should cause friendly fire and what shouldnt?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    mattji104 said:
    Please stop talking about public play. I would have posted in general discussion if that was any part of the point.

Also, what's the need to disparage people playing public games here?
    Why so serious mattji?

It's not like you're the end boss of the internet, telling us what to talk about, lighten up man. Also I did slap down a question in there as well, which is quite related to your precious topic ;)
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I don't see bile or spores affecting alien armor or health, respectively, turrets hit scan and wouldn't shoot at an alien through a marine, and explosives should do aoe damage to marines. That's my take on that

I think the most important effect is teammates chipping each other with their rifles/shotguns and bites/swipes
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is this another budget cut for the TSF? We can't afford to lose our nanite armor!
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    does more harm than good until framerate is 3-4 times better for everyone

"why did you shoot me?"

"sry. game lagged. there were more than 2 players in the room"
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have shot sooo many people in the face with the shotgun because they darted between me and a skulk. This may end badly. 

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Still in same situation. Friendly fire is an option in DAK that no one uses. No option for it in main game. NSL should use it for next season.
  • MaLuSMaLuS Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182769Members
    I fully support the idea of FF in comp matches, after all its all about skill as a player right.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2013
    Early game, marine lives are short enough, thanks to para + 2 bites. Friendly fire would trap marines in their spawn.

What if Vortex makes marines vulnerable to friendly fire? :)

I think that would give aliens enough siege breaking, game ending power.

(Persuade Andi to make it happen!)
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Friendlyfire worked fine in ns1 and there is no reason why it should not work fine in ns2. I also thing its long past due to add friendlyfire to competitive matches. I know that Dragon already made a mod where friendlyfire works and is 33% damage like in the original ns.

I would like to see it in nsl seasson 3.
    @Grissi

I'm reading your ns1 strats doc in your signature <333
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I can only see it working if friendly fire is only applied to the clients, having it applied to structures would mean grenading arcs wouldn't be very possible since they'd take damage.

But yeah it would prevent some gl/ft spam
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    You should not be using grenades on your own structures in the first place :S
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    grenade collision needs to be fixed before friendly fire is in
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Grenades shouldn't explode on contact with marines. Either way, there's plenty of time for you to get out of the radius.
    Ummm, no one cares about grenade launchers
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Um, most of us do since they're good now.

On topic note, IF it gets enabled, it needs to be at different values than damage to the enemy team. Eg. shotgun 200 damage shot should only do 100 damage to fellow marines or something. Otherwise the game is just too chaotic for this not to result in a marine super nerf.
  • FearOfCalamariFearOfCalamari Join Date: 2013-07-22 Member: 186298Members
    How do i find a competitive server? is there some designation in the name or do one of the tabs list them?
    How do i find a competitive server? is there some designation in the name or do one of the tabs list them?
    There aren't "competitive servers", however what you could do is play in gathers or join a clan to play competitively...

• BiteyBitey Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151622Members, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Enough of this 33% weak sauce.

One
    to
    One
    Ratio
    Only.

Serious bizznzzz
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    1:1 FF damage + Bitey's flamethrower

*runs away from Bitey*
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I apologize to all the fellow marines I am about to insta peace with a shotgun.