Medspam and jumping ever going to be changed?

StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members

Comments

• FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    They did change medspam in b250 in that there is now a pickup delay for the marines on the ground.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    They did change medspam in b250 in that there is now a pickup delay for the marines on the ground.
    I think that pickup delay is still lower than any melee attack rate.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I think the med spam is no longer an issue since marines can only accept/pickup medpack at a set rate (idk what it is).
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    edited July 2013
    I was hoping for 2-5 seconds instead of 0.2...
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It's a .3 second pickup delay, and even the best med packer in the world can't out heal the skulk damage if he lands all his bites. It's fine where it is.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    its actually 0.53.
    and regarding jumping: when you spam, the jump height / movement speed gets reduced the more you jump
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    .53!? Wow no wonder I can't carry my marines.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Also remember that a med does 50 hp and a skulk bite/fade swipe does 75. You can out dps meds.
    edited July 2013
    Sewlek wrote: »
    its actually 0.53.
    and regarding jumping: when you spam, the jump height / movement speed gets reduced the more you jump
    We know all this already.

None of it makes any difference. Jump height should be halved.
    edited July 2013
    CarNagE1 wrote: »
    yes and make marine speed 0.000000001 plz so it can be an easy target... lame cant land a good bite because marine is jumping? use brain and ambush.
    Maybe you should try biting a good player, ambush or not.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    a marine jumping next to another can jump high enough that his feet reaches the height of the marine's head..
    You can see it easily in the RR. And maybe crouch should only usable on the way down.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Visually, I actually agree that jump height should be less.

Go ahead and test it, a marine jumping next to another can jump high enough that his feet reaches the height of the marine's head..

I'm not playing the 'Needs to be combat sim realistic!' .. It just looks ugly Imo, almost glitchy.

Balance wise a marine needs to be able to jump over railings and skulks etc.. So if anything I'd keep the height but lower the animation position slightly.

I want to be able to crouch in mid air like NS1.

Bbbbbbbut, my immersion!
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    CarNagE1 wrote: »
    yes and make marine speed 0.000000001 plz so it can be an easy target... lame cant land a good bite because marine is jumping? use brain and ambush.

I think the complaints come from the time after the first bite when the marine starts using his nanite pogo boots to avoid any following bites. Or are you suggesting that people should run away and hide after one bite every encounter?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Mendasp wrote: »
    Visually, I actually agree that jump height should be less.

Go ahead and test it, a marine jumping next to another can jump high enough that his feet reaches the height of the marine's head..

I'm not playing the 'Needs to be combat sim realistic!' .. It just looks ugly Imo, almost glitchy.

Balance wise a marine needs to be able to jump over railings and skulks etc.. So if anything I'd keep the height but lower the animation position slightly.

Bbbbbbbut, my immersion!

Screw your immersion Mendasp :P Duck Jump if ya please!
  • LokeLoke Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13988Members
    edited July 2013
    Mendasp wrote: »

Bbbbbbbut, my immersion!

http://i.imgur.com/KBgED1J.jpg
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I didn't say you couldn't still have that? ;-)

But again go ahead and jump crouch in air yourself and tell me how high your feet go.. I bet it doesn't go as high as your height.

And to those chanting "immersion" I'd love to hear an actual defense of why it should visually be this way? It literally serves no purpose aesthetically.

Before you say anything about balance see my previous post, the code /collision wouldn't change, just the animation pose (legs extended slightly) which.. Arguably could ease biting a marine who jumps over you for newer players.. But wouldn't that be a good thing? (the impact would be small I would think)
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    imo the marine should actually have to pickup the medpack and or ammo off the ground
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    stop graphics, just give us hitbox mode.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    I didn't say you couldn't still have that? ;-)

But again go ahead and jump crouch in air yourself and tell me how high your feet go.. I bet it doesn't go as high as your height.

And to those chanting "immersion" I'd love to hear an actual defense of why it should visually be this way? It literally serves no purpose aesthetically.

Before you say anything about balance see my previous post, the code /collision wouldn't change, just the animation pose (legs extended slightly) which.. Arguably could ease biting a marine who jumps over you for newer players.. But wouldn't that be a good thing? (the impact would be small I would think)

i'm no machine augmented future supersoldier either. standing highjump world record is something like 1.9 meters, box jumping is less... but still taller than i am. also... gravity. incidentally, speaking of immersion, i'm pretty sure jumping onto someone else is literally one of the ways we kill each other.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    edited July 2013
    what they should change about jump is how crouching moves the torso down to meet the feet.... 9 months later and still nope!

jump in the air and lift your knees up to emulate the jump crouch. now do your feet move up to meet your body or the other way around?
    I say remove the pickup delay and make them cost 2 tres. That way skill is required and they aren't almost worthless.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I say remove the pickup delay and make them cost 2 tres. That way skill is required and they aren't almost worthless.

Great idea if you never want to see another medpack dropped in a pub game again.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Landing direct med drops, the moment a marine is bitten, is awesome.
    That said, it'd be interesting to change the effect from an instant 50hp, to a quick regen of 50hp. In addition, make it so that if the marine receives multiple meds, the rate of regen stays the same but the regen duration increases. So, with a second med, 50hp over 0.25 secs would become 100hp over 0.5 secs and then a third would make it 150 up over 0.75 secs.

With that change, a marine on an infinite pile of meds wouldn't be invincible, they'd just keep regenerating for quite a while. So all the aliens would have to do is make sure their DPS is higher than the marine's regen rate.

(It'd also give marine comms the interesting ability to med preemptively, just before the shit hits the fan)
    GORGEous wrote: »

Great idea if you never want to see another medpack dropped in a pub game again.

Medpacks are available in pub games?
  • AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    2 res medpacks was tested a lot and the result was marins lossing way to many games.

changing medpacks to 2 res would mean to adjust every other aspect in that game to make it balanced again.
    Think about dual lerk in the early game. if you dont got uber aim the dual lerk will just rape your team. you will losse res tower and that snowballs you down that your commander cant med you and and cant rebuild any rts.
    This would result in marin games without the chance of getting a comeback.

the medpack pickup delay is one of the best thinks in the balance mod, because marin commanders still can mutlimedspamm diffrent marins.
  • NthaoNthao Join Date: 2013-07-22 Member: 186278Members
    Jiriki wrote: »
    Medspamming was a commander skill in NS1, an important one at that. Good medspam made a difference between epic frag, won round and waste of res. I think one of the crucial difference between commanders was how well they used their resources on medpacks. Medding a lot of marines in combat effectively is a micro skill as other RTS micro skill. Medspam is always a risk with no guaranteed payoff. There's nothing "unfair" about it as long as the medpack cost is balanced.

Here's the real reason to have medspam!

Or maybe here

So far, I'm agreeing with this guy. So long as there is enough of a delay between medpack pickup that aliens can out dps with their own attacks, there really isn't all that much that needs to be changed. Else more drastic changes appear.
  • king_yoking_yo Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67192Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Nthao wrote: »
    Jiriki wrote: »
    Medspamming was a commander skill in NS1, an important one at that. Good medspam made a difference between epic frag, won round and waste of res. I think one of the crucial difference between commanders was how well they used their resources on medpacks. Medding a lot of marines in combat effectively is a micro skill as other RTS micro skill. Medspam is always a risk with no guaranteed payoff. There's nothing "unfair" about it as long as the medpack cost is balanced.

Here's the real reason to have medspam!

Or maybe here

So far, I'm agreeing with this guy. So long as there is enough of a delay between medpack pickup that aliens can out dps with their own attacks, there really isn't all that much that needs to be changed. Else more drastic changes appear.

He is saying exactly the opposite. Meds should out heal the alien's attack.