working hard on a new map, started with a server room!

FandoreFandore Join Date: 2013-07-09 Member: 186007Members
i am starting to understand how to use this program better. it would REALLY help is i could get an already made map in the spark editor so that i can get a better idea with geometry, mainly with the windows and curvature such as what you see in the atrium room or flight control. if anyone knows how to do this, please share. i will be posting an image when the room is done to show my progress =)

Comments

• FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    You can load any of the official maps into the editor. Just browse to the right location and load 'er up. Make sure you're familiar with Layers and Groups (if you aren't familiar yet) because some areas of these maps might be assigned to hidden layers, making it look like large parts are missing.

Looking at official maps in the editor is probbly the most useful way in understanding how to go about doing things when you're new to NS2 mapping.
  • QwiXXeRQwiXXeR Join Date: 2004-11-05 Member: 32640Members
    I agree with Flat :)
    Have often loaded up the official maps on areas similar to what I'm building to see how they did it etc :)

You don't have to wait until your done ;), why don't you post some screenies of your progress. We would all love to see how its going.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    If you need a very simple map to look at things, you can load the main menu background - it's a map as well (menu.level).
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts