Longtime player.. I suck at remembering map layout. I get lost all the time.

zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
edited July 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I can use some help here please.

Yeah even though i've been playing on/off since the NS2 start, i find it hard to remember map layouts. Especially since i've began to play alien only. The commander will tell us to move somewhere, i have to find my bearings.. The Skulk is fast, so i get lost fast.

So i pull up the map a lot. Most times i really have to concentrate to find myself on the map first (why can't i be a BIG WHITE triangle?), then i have to somehow manage to go a route with that map up not seeing where i'm going. Even with the map up i find it hard to find a route.. Can i make the map rotate with my view btw?

Anyone else has this loss of bearings?
How can i remember map layouts better?

Btw, i have this in no other games! Most times i remember a map layout pretty fast. NS2 is just that hard! :)

Comments

• ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Close the minimap - it's that crutch that is keeping you from remembering the layout by sight.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Tips:

You're a big yellow triangle that is enlarged every time you press the map key for the first second.
    Your current location /room name is always displayed at the top left of your screen.
    Be sure to zoom way out on your minimap as a marine. (its in the options)
    Best way i have found to learn new room names has always been to command...

it sort of becomes your meat and potatoes for coordination with your team. After a while the layout is burned into your brain, but still isn't that familiar on the ground, but that's okay because you have the location on the top left of your screen.

Also there are mods out there you can use on most servers:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=156395252
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=106432270
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=108732851
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    IronHorse wrote: »

Just a quick note if you do decide to use minimap mods, be sure when map updates come out in the future, to also be sure that the mod is also updated. It wasn't until i saw i was apparently 100 ft to the left of cafeteria that i realized the minimap mod i was using hadn't been updated since January (the second mod listed), true story.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yeah it's very annoying so many nice map mods are out of date :(
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited July 2013
    I could probably draw the map layouts from memory now. I could still get lost in the corridors though because I ALWAYS navigate by map. My map key is bound to mouse 4 so I pretty much hold it down all the time unless I am shooting at something. It even makes it easier to spot aliens since they often show up on the map before they are in my field of vision. I never even look at the minimap though.

Looking at the map is too important to give up for the purpose of memorizing the level. Just look at the map and deal.
  • HerZeLeiDHerZeLeiD Join Date: 2013-03-25 Member: 184362Members
    After 370 hours I still have to use the map to know where all the vents are, other than that I know the layouts to all the maps except Descent and the latest Docking. In games such as Counter-Strike you know every detail of a map in just a few hours. It seems to take hundreds of hours in NS2 for me.

But by using the map too much it's easy to not "see" the actual level in front of you because you are constantly looking at the map for navigation.
  • ZaliZali Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185668Members
    edited July 2013
    It's pointless, they change the maps so often you will always be running/flying into walls.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    I literally have the map open at least 30 percent of the time. have it open while navigating let's me spot if im needed somewhere, im usually the first person to scream at the comm to beacon too. if im building in a safe spot, if im biting with a picket, if im moving to reinforce. all the friggin time.
  • sinkingmistsinkingmist Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172905Members
    I've just gotten into the habit of constantly checking the map. It helps to:
    1) Keep tabs on where I am and where I'm going.
    2) See what's happening on the rest of the map.

Because of this, I find I'm usually one of the first one to notice when something is getting attacked, even when that's on the other side of the map, which I dutifully call out to the team.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    If I'm not engaging in combat, my map is open.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

Because of this, I find I'm usually one of the first one to notice when something is getting attacked, even when that's on the other side of the map, which I dutifully call out to the team.

Which is why NS2 is an RTS game. ^^
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester

This is one of the more important things in NS2, the map shows so much info.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    I do think the over-importance of the map should be on UWE's radar if there is ever a way to diminish it without otherwise hurting the game. I doubt anything can really be done though.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I can navigate every map without my map open. Most of them I can do backwards. I still have my map open whenever I'm building, spawning, or waiting to move out to keep an idea of what's going on in the game.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Not sure why you would only play aliens, but that's also hurting your learning of the layouts. Seeing the map from both teams not only helps to learn it quicker, it also gives you much greater awareness of how the enemy is likely to move.
    But yes, keeping the map up for keeping tabs on enemy activity is wise in any case.
    The NS2 maps aren't particularly hard to learn, I find. Not sure why you seem to have trouble with that!
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    I've spent so much time in Summit that I could pretty much blink around the place backwards (yunno, if blinking backwards was possible). Good ol' reliable Summit.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2013
    I still get disoriented everytime I spawn in sub sector. The bug that occasionaly causes you to spawn with your face to the ground doesn't help either. :)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Correction to my previous statement: I still find myself going the wrong way out of deposit on mineshaft, sometimes :D
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    sotanaht wrote: »
    I do think the over-importance of the map should be on UWE's radar if there is ever a way to diminish it without otherwise hurting the game. I doubt anything can really be done though.

It's way harder learning some NS2 maps than others; and it was easier to learn most NS1 maps(with the possible exception of eclipse) because maps in NS2 are excessively cluttered and areas are not sufficiently distinct. Maps for NS1 were bold, stylistic and made up of relatively few and distinct shapes, and many rooms were distinguished by some simple landmark feature, simply because the engine would not allow you to do anything else.

NS2 has an over-reliance on plainish blue-gray metalic and rust-brown textures. This too doesn't help.

• Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    If I'm not engaging in combat, my map is open.

Isn't it kind of UWE to blur your vision, so you can focus on what's important (the map)?
    I'm using the mod to disable that blur.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

It's way harder learning some NS2 maps than others; and it was easier to learn most NS1 maps(with the possible exception of eclipse) because maps in NS2 are excessively cluttered and areas are not sufficiently distinct. Maps for NS1 were bold, stylistic and made up of relatively few and distinct shapes, and many rooms were distinguished by some simple landmark feature, simply because the engine would not allow you to do anything else.

NS2 has an over-reliance on plainish blue-gray metalic and rust-brown textures. This too doesn't help.

NS2 has by far the more easily memorable room features compared to NS1, and this was actually a design goal [citation needed]. Even if it's really not a stock example, take Descent, for instance. Unique colours, props and textures in almost every room. Tram might have samey color scheme and no memorable props, but the room geometries are unique enough and the central tram tunnel landmark gives coherence and is a quick way to orientate yourself. Refinery has perhaps the blandest rooms with half of them being just bloated corridors, but it's practically just a doughnut with the memorable lava falls in the middle. Even, or perhaps especially Summit has made a good job of making every room different, and the map's layout isn't exactly rocket science.

Contrast this with a map like Nothing. Most rooms were either huge brown cubes or small brown cubes and half of the map was made of snaky corridors and elevator shafts. Lost had pretty much the same characteristics, certainly as dark and bland in textures. Origin easily got you lost in the huge vent system along with corridors that looked like vents and vents that looked like corridors. Lucid? Oh dear god.

Sum this up with the fact that most NS1 maps were bigger and didn't have to conform to random spawns, and you'll quickly see that the NS2 maps are the simpler choice.

• zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Thanks for your replies.

It's true, i find it harder to memorize NS2 maps as opposed to other games with 'hard' maps. Glad that i'm not the only one! :)

Like others here i have the map bound to an easy thumbbutton on the mouse so i have it up a lot so i don't miss anything important happening. The problem starts when i want to move towards that trouble spot and find that i'm going the wrong way! Guess i simply have to run around more in them for now.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Therius wrote: »
    the central tram tunnel landmark gives coherence and is a quick way to orientate disorient yourself.
    FTFY.

Seriously. Tram was the hardest map for me to learn, and it was ENTIRELY because south tunnel and north tunnel look like the SAME FREAKING CURVY TUNNEL that you can't see more than ten meters down the length of, and hub looks like hub looks like hub no matter which way you approach it.

I consider that a feature. Call it a challenge, among what is otherwise a very-well executed aesthetic in NS2 to have different spaces look and feel different.

Also, tram repair is a freaking mess. I mean challenge. And I never know where the hell I am when I'm in summit data core, even with the map open. It's like riding on a carousel. Mineshaft has some clever traps in the geometry around central / crusher / repair that stupid people like myself keep getting lost or stuck in. More challenge.

In most cases, though, I have no problems navigating even the most obscure maps I've never played on before, like when I manage to play on a server running community-developed maps like Jambi and whatnot. Because all that a Marine needs to know is to follow the Marine in front of him and shoot anything else that moves. Oorah.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I really want to disagree with you, but you just used Oorah in an appropriate context..
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members

Sum this up with the fact that most NS1 maps were bigger

I keep reading this all over the place in these forums but sorry, it's not a fact (at least in what matters the most).

The NS1 and NS2 maps are quite similar in size if you are comparing the travel time involved. Now if you mean in total area units or number of rooms or any other way I have no idea.

But to track the time it takes to walk a circle from marine spawn all the way around the circumference of the map and back to marine spawn in various NS1 and NS2 maps will yield quite similar results overall. What won't happen is it taking much longer on NS1 maps. A couple or three will stand out as being noticeably longer concerning travel times like nothing and tanith, but IIRC those were mainly because of the out of the way winding hallways.
    edited July 2013
    NS2 has by far the more easily memorable room features compared to NS1, and this was actually a design goal [citation needed].

Then they failed miserably, just like a long list of other design goals for NS2.

Summit is ok. Veil is cheating, because remember it well. Decent and tram are particularly bad; a cluttered mess where exits and entries of some rooms blend into their cluttered surroundings. You should never have to pop up the minimap to find the exits of the room you're in, that's god-awful design.

The only NS maps that rival NS2 maps in terms of difficulty to learn was eclipse due to the large number of samey corridors and hera due to level over level and ladders.
    Even if it's really not a stock example, take Descent, for instance. Unique colours, props and textures in almost every room.

And yet, it is the most confusing map in the game. With some of the tech rooms I still often find myself going in circles looking for the correct exit, having to pop the minimap.
    Contrast this with a map like Nothing. Most rooms were either huge brown cubes or small brown cubes and half of the map was made of snaky corridors and elevator shafts.

Nearly every corridor had a different texture scheme and different geometry. All the exits were easily distinguishable. The only thing that could possibly be difficult about nothing was a couple of the vents and powersilo which was close to rotationally symmetric. Still a piece of piss to learn compared to tram or decent.
  • WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The biggest problem that I have to ns2 maps, is when they choose to rotate or move a room to improve balance.
    When you spend hours playing a map, and then someone chooses to rotate, lets say say deposit in mineshafts, I kept entering the room and exiting through the same entrance :)

After some time I got used to it, but is disorientating.

And now we have Generator in Docking, its departures rotation/change all over again :)

All for the sake of balance, I cant deny that it has worked so far in those rooms.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    i consistently find myself taking the long way around around subsector. I try to go to system waypointing as soon as I spawn, so i run away from the hive till i hit a wall, then i go left... unfortunately, this sometimes means i do a damn ring around the hive instead of cutting next to it. also do this as a marine...
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    haha I do the same thing amoral, just checking the power node... yea that's it