How does wall-jumping work in build 250?

FarewelltoarmsFarewelltoarms gainesville fl Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183603Members
So as I understood it, skulk movement was a very contentious topic in the balance mod. Now that the 250 build is live, how exactly does wall-jumping and bunny-hopping work? A video would be best, but just a general description of what I need to be doing to move as fast as possible would be nice.

Comments

• NinjasAreMammalsTooNinjasAreMammalsToo Join Date: 2013-06-09 Member: 185522Members
    edited July 2013
    Ezekel made a video about this. It's from the BT mod but it basically still applies. However, I believe the strafing segment is out of date. You can't gain that kind of speed from it anymore.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Step 1: When you're in mid-air, hold down the jump button and you will jump automatically the next time you hit the ground. Doing this will cause you to preserve any speed you currently have.

Step 2: Repeat Step 1 continuously.

Step 3: While bouncing like this, approach a wall at a parallel angle. Don't touch it, just get near it and press jump to "walljump" along the wall. This will give you a speed boost. Rinse and repeat to gradually go faster. You can also jump along the same wall repeatedly without touching the ground, which is the best way to build speed fast.

Step 4: When you have Leap, you can also use that to very easily get started at a high speed.

That's the basics of it - practice until you get the hang of it. Now after a while you may notice that whenever you turn in midair, your speed goes back down a bit. That's where the last trick comes in:

Step 5: Whenever you turn left or right, hold the strafe button in the same direction that you're turning. If you do this, you will no longer lose speed from that turn. This makes it considerably easier to gain speed without losing any of it to turning.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You have to do bunnyhopping like in id games (Quake, early source).

This does NOT mean "jump repeatedly."

Ye Oldskoole Bunnyhoppinge means jumping while holding strafe (only, not forward) while slowly turning. Takes some practice.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    You actually dont have to bunnyhop. In on a phone and let somebody else explain
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Doing strafejumps on straight parts will still give you a little speed boost, but you need like 10 consecutive strafejumps to get thesame speed boost one walljump gives you.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    edited July 2013
    Jumping while strafing left/right and turning in the same direction keeps your momentum better than just holding forwards and jump. It also gives a small speed boost but not near as much as a simple walljump does. Walljump is the same as 249, you just keep close to the wall and hit space no faster than a certain rate (around 0.75sec) and do it just as you land.

I also combine strafe and walljump to bounce between walls or just as a way of dismounting towards a target while keeping speed.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    HeatSurge wrote: »

Ye Oldskoole Bunnyhoppinge means jumping while holding strafe (only, not forward) while slowly turning. Takes some practice.

The opposite actually. What you need to do in this game is simply jump repeatedly to maintain speed. In quake you had to jump and using your strafe keys while doing curved movements with your mouse pointer.

In 250, do glancing jumps on walls, and simply hold your forward key while pressing your jump key as you are about to land.

How you are able to conclude that these two are one and the same is beyond my comprehension.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    wiry wrote: »
    HeatSurge wrote: »

The opposite actually. What you need to do in this game is simply jump repeatedly to maintain speed. In quake you had to jump and using your strafe keys while doing curved movements with your mouse pointer.

In 250, do glancing jumps on walls, and simply hold your forward key while pressing your jump key as you are about to land.

How you are able to conclude that these two are one and the same is beyond my comprehension.

Although as it turns out, you can do quake-style bunnyhopping (but holding forwards too) to achieve the same effect. There's no need, but it does work. The benefit there is ensuring you can make essentially any turn without losing momentum (which of course is also achieved with just A/D).

I'm not saying you're wrong (I agree that the two systems are technically different, if not different in spirit), just clarifying that you can actually do 90% of bunnyhopping (ie forward key is the only difference) and you will achieve maximum speed in NS2.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    I'm not sure if this is 'correct' but I have found that if i just continuously hold forward + strafe (either strafe seems to work fine regardless of direction I am traveling) and just keep jumping as I hit the ground, throw in a couple glancing wall jumps, my vanilla skulk starts to make the chugging sound like he is picking up speed. Not sure if I am doing it right but I seem to pass by most other skulks like this.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    joederp wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is 'correct' but I have found that if i just continuously hold forward + strafe (either strafe seems to work fine regardless of direction I am traveling) and just keep jumping as I hit the ground, throw in a couple glancing wall jumps, my vanilla skulk starts to make the chugging sound like he is picking up speed. Not sure if I am doing it right but I seem to pass by most other skulks like this.

Yes you can psuedo-bunnyhop up to maximum speed without walljump or blink. It just takes a while ;)
    You can figure of 8 a fade in a readyroom up to very high speeds. Remember: there is no blink in the readyroom. That should be proof enough that this is possible! But yeah, it takes quite some time! :)
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited July 2013
    In my experience in 250 so far, which admittedly is somewhat limited, and additionally limited by the fact I dislike playing aliens more and more with every passing month, I've found that simple "repeated jumping while holding forward" kills any additional velocity you've gained as a skulk (by leap or jumping off a wall) and you return to base speed after more or less a single landing.

In my experiments, you can only maintain higher-than-base speed if you strafe jump. Maybe I'm wrong; does that speed measurement console command still work? This thread's got me thinking that it might be worth experimenting with this...
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Fade A/D strafing seems worth it. It's not hard, and saves you the occasional blink.

As for Skulk, I find the whole process infuriating. There just seem to be SO many little edges (especially in the floor) that don't slow you down visually, but the +speed simply DIES when you jump from the wrong spot. It's infuriating because there's no clear indication what killed your speed.

Tram, hub. The railtracks on the floor. Friggin' speedkillers, no matter where you land.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    There just seem to be SO many little edges (especially in the floor) that don't slow you down visually, but the +speed simply DIES when you jump from the wrong spot.

cute-aquot-ctrlaquot-key-style-night-light-us-plug-220v.jpg
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Huh? It helps? I mean I know it prevents climbing stuff but even for the niches in a floor?
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Remember: there is no blink in the readyroom. That should be proof enough that this is possible! But yeah, it takes quite some time! :)

Readyroom rules are not in-game rules. In the RR, marines have zero jump penalty. That should be proof enough that your proof is not proof .... proof.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ultranewb wrote: »
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Remember: there is no blink in the readyroom. That should be proof enough that this is possible! But yeah, it takes quite some time! :)

Readyroom rules are not in-game rules. In the RR, marines have zero jump penalty. That should be proof enough that your proof is not proof .... proof.

Actually they do. But there's a catch.

There are two kinds of readyroom marines: the ones you get for joining a server, switching maps, etc. which do not possess a flashlight and have no jumping penalty, and the regular marines which you get from joining the marine team who have flashlights and jumping penalty.

The readyroom Fade is the same as the in-game Fade except for not having blink.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    edited July 2013
    This thread finally helped me put how I feel about the movement changes in clear language. I won't touch the Fade movement (which I veritably loathe).

Skulk movement now feels like I have rubber cement attached to my boney little legs. Wall jumping ends up with you banging your head on a wall if you're not holding three or four buttons at a time, and it's extremely easy to lose all of that speed just by touching the floor. It feels sloppy and lazy on the skulk's part.

Compare that to the long, long ago... before the big skulk movement nerfs. Jumping off of the wall was a mini leap in the direction you were looking. It made skulks unpredictable and ferocious. The very act of wall jumping felt feral and exciting. You were a ferocious animal leaping off of walls and biting chunks of flesh from unlucky marines. It was the most fun I ever had skulking.

I'll end this post here before I begin ranting about the hitbox fix coming out with a nerf rather than fix first, but I hope this sums up well enough how I feel about the new wall jumping compared to the old wall jumping.

EDIT: I won't rant, but I will mention again that we never got to try the old movement with the hitbox fixes, and there was never any attempt to balance aforementioned minileap by lowering the amount of propulsion from the jump. What we did see was a hitbox fix coupled with a huge nerf to acceleration and friction causing skulks to be unable to build up speed and losing whatever speed they did build up the moment they touched the floor. Now we have a movement speed that's, in my opinion, boring and predictable, making skulks feel like a punishment once again.
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    You literally just stated why that had to change, having an energy free semileap on demand just from touching a wall was op as hell. The entire point of the new system is that you can go fast but you need to move somewhat predictably to do so.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    You literally just stated why that had to change, having an energy free semileap on demand just from touching a wall was op as hell. The entire point of the new system is that you can go fast but you need to move somewhat predictably to do so.

I have to agree.

I have played a bit more this week, and I can confirm strafe jumping doesn't "work" anymore the way it did in the balance mod. I'm not sure if I'm smoking something, but I swear I remember strafe jumping in the balance mod, and it was the only way to maintain momentum as a skulk for me...

Anyway, things have changed in 250, it seems like regular jumping works? IDK...
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    You can still strafe jump for a minor additional speed boost but it's not like it was in earlier balance mod builds where strafe jumping could make you go quite fast quite quickly.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    From what I've read and my experience in-game, it works like this:
    - Jump off the wall + ground walk = Instant speed boost with quick fall off once you start walking
    - Jump off the wall + ground jump = Instant speed boost with lesser drop off as you jump
    - Jump off the wall + strafe jump (pseudo-bhop) = Instant speed boost with no drop off
    - Strafe jump (pseudo-bhop) = Slow build up of speed to wallhop level

In practice, you really only need Jump off the wall + ground jump to be the most effective. Rarely are you ever in a position where the benefits of strafe jumping outweigh the need for maneuverability (i.e. there a few times where you need to go long distances very quickly where strafe jumping is a benefit).