Technology Costs Spreadsheet - Build 250

KineKine Join Date: 2013-06-12 Member: 185541Members
I put together a spreadsheet earlier today comparing the technology costs of researching all abilities for marines and aliens. The spreadsheet assumes the shortest path by only including the structures necessary to complete the research.

You can view the spreadsheet here: Link
All Research Completed:

Marines(1 Tech Point ): 360 [Resources] / 5 [Team Supply]
Marines(2 Tech Points): 395 [Resources] / 5 [Team Supply]

Aliens(3 Tech Points): 590 [Resources] / 45 [Team Supply]
Aliens(4 Tech Points): 680 [Resources] / 45 [Team Supply]

Take what you want from the data. Just thought I would share.

Not going to propose an argument, or even suggest a new idea.
If I do, I know the community will just turn the thread into a turd, or a moderator will lock it.

Comments

• MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    edited July 2013
    Marines will almost always have 3 if not 4 phase gates every game and multiple armories on the field (likely more than 1 Obs as well)
    You also won't just tech to ARC factory and leave it. . . you'll be building a bunch of them (minimum of 3 ARCs)

I think things are quite a bit closer in terms of actual gameplay than what is listed here

Some better info to pass on might be how much res it takes to rush a specific tech route or build order

Marines rushing +2/+2 Single Exo = 230 Res
    Aliens rushing 7 biomass for Xenocide = 230 Res
    etc. . .

If you want to talk balance the key difference with the two above strats is that Aliens must get all biomass before Xeno
    Marines could have Exo on the field far sooner if they are willing to skip some of those upgrades

The real imbalance is shown when you have to cut your losses and change strategies midgame
    Marines could be sitting on an AA or some nice upgrades and not even worry about it. . . Aliens would be completely hozed if that tech rush failed
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Marines will almost always have 3 if not 4 phase gates every game and multiple armories on the field (likely more than 1 Obs as well)
    You also won't just tech to ARC factory and leave it. . . you'll be building a bunch of them (minimum of 3 ARCs)

I think things are quite a bit closer in terms of actual gameplay than what is listed here

Some better info to pass on might be how much res it takes to rush a specific tech route or build order

Marines rushing +2/+2 Single Exo = 230 Res
    Aliens rushing 7 biomass for Xenocide = 230 Res
    etc. . .

If you want to talk balance the key difference with the two above strats is that Aliens must get all biomass before Xeno
    Marines could have Exo on the field far sooner if they are willing to skip some of those upgrades

The real imbalance is shown when you have to cut your losses and change strategies midgame
    Marines could be sitting on an AA or some nice upgrades and not even worry about it. . . Aliens would be completely hozed if that tech rush failed

How would aliens be "hozed" if the tech rush failed. Aliens have to buy practically everything in order to get techs For all practical purposes, any possible alien tech pathing is an amalgam of all possible alien tech strategies. If they rushed xeno and failed, they would already have the 7 biomass and 3 hives required to tech into something else. If Marines rushed Exos and failed they would be pretty much back to square one if they decided they needed upgrades instead.

Of course design wise this is a problem for alien, not marine. Being able to tech in multiple distinct paths leads to significantly varied gameplay. Aliens really only have one path to go by.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited July 2013
    Therius wrote: »
    Meds
    Drifter clouds of all 4 flavors, echo, heal wave, ink cloud, mist, bonewall, cystburst...

Aliens have to spend more on that shit too.
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    Wow looks like you wasted alot of time on something that has no relevance to how an actual game of NS2 is played.

Thanks for posting though I guess.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Its not an apples-to-apples comparison. Tech, expansion, and weapons/lifeforms are so intertwined in NS2 that you have to consider the costs of them together rather than separate for an accurate comparison.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    The cost of maxing out tech is largely irrelevant as you can win games without getting max tech. Aliens don't need to get three hives to win a game. It helps, yes, but is it possible to win a game with Biomass 5-6 and two upgrades? Yes it is.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Thanks for sharing I guess? Those numbers don't mean anything though.