Linux vs WIndows fps +or-

N@uralBornNoobistN@uralBornNoobist Gorge-N-Freeman,2Gorges1Clog Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176138Members

Comments

• lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    No one could answer that. The NS2 port for Linux isn't finished.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Well, I'm not an expert but I'm going to assume it'd be mostly the same except that it'd have to run on OpenGL (DirectX is windows only right) where as the DX11 windows version (I assume DX11 support will come with OpenGL) will be much faster?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Probably the same. The key is server-side where running Linux servers are typically cheaper than Windows ones.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited July 2013
    OpenGL runs faster than directX afaik, also linux is barebones from what I understand so I'd assume linux would be slightly faster

I don't know the directx 11 comparison to say openGL 4.2 or whatever version it's at now
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    The Playtesters have not tested it yet, because it's still in development. That being said, it should be SOON...ish.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    Well, Linux will allow you to run better on older hardware because it uses less resources. On mid to high end machines the difference will be negligible I imagine. Although Valve claims openGL is faster then direct3D but maybe they have an agenda. The primary gains from this will be another small boost in player base, especially because Linux users don't have a lot of games like this.
    Also the ability to run on the steam console when released. I just hope it comes with a warning screen that tells you to not use the controller unless you like having your ass handed to you.
    This will also give UWE more street cred which will come in useful when they make their next game.

I've been gaming on Linux under wine most of the time already and it's been a horrible experience. Black flickering screen all the time and random walls disappearing (not as much of an advantage as you'd think). I gave up after a while and would boot into win7 when I felt like a serious game but now I won't have to.

I'm guessing if they're doing a mac build it'll be openGL 3.2 no?
    I hope they use 4.2 for Linux at least, no need to put us in the same category as those primitive mac users.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    ezekel wrote: »
    OpenGL runs faster than directX afaik, also linux is barebones from what I understand so I'd assume linux would be slightly faster

I don't know the directx 11 comparison to say openGL 4.2 or whatever version it's at now

On the contrary, there are a good number of articles claiming that DirectX11 is significantly faster in many cases. The problem is that OpenGL is not primarily a gaming API, and the latest gimmicks utilizing the latest gaming hardware features were implemented rather late (multithreaded rendering, for example). DirectX 11, on the other hand, has the reputation of a very clean and efficient API, praised by many. In the end, however, much is determined by the programmer's skill to write efficient code using the given API - more experience in one over another can make a difference too.

It's also very important what OpenGL versions your hardware supports. While most recent cards support the DirectX 11.1, the latest OpenGL 4.3 is much rarer, AFAIK.

http://www.g-truc.net/post-0547.html

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited July 2013
    Kamamura wrote: »
    ezekel wrote: »

On the contrary, there are a good number of articles claiming that DirectX11 is significantly faster in many cases. The problem is that OpenGL is not primarily a gaming API, and the latest gimmicks utilizing the latest gaming hardware features were implemented rather late (multithreaded rendering, for example). DirectX 11, on the other hand, has the reputation of a very clean and efficient API, praised by many. In the end, however, much is determined by the programmer's skill to write efficient code using the given API - more experience in one over another can make a difference too.

It's also very important what OpenGL versions your hardware supports. While most recent cards support the DirectX 11.1, the latest OpenGL 4.3 is much rarer, AFAIK.

http://www.g-truc.net/post-0547.html

Ok, but currently openGL vs dx9, opengl was proven superior which is what my post was about initially. No idea how the latest dx fairs against the latest openGL by a gpu that can support both

Also good note that a programmers skill can make a difference
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    L4D2 had a huge article about how Linux ran better on their test systems and that uses DX9. I would expect the same here.
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    NS2 is bottlenecked by the CPU on almost every system so even if the opengl build was more efficient it would hardly matter.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm one of the few cases that the GPU is the bottleneck, so this is interesting to me.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    GPU bottlenecking is far more common than before post-249.
  • chikotochikoto Join Date: 2013-02-15 Member: 183078Members
    Serious Sam 3 has had a Linux client for ages now, and the performance just isn't on-par with Windows. This is also true for Killing Floor and Team Fortress 2.

I believe NS2 running on Linux is good for Spark Engine/UWE but expecting an increase or identical performance in FPS just because Valve did with L4D2 is way off base.
  • Sp3cia1Sp3cia1 NY/MASS Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177755Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    This should really be Direct 3d vs OpenGL not Direct X as there much more to Direct X than just the graphics library :)