State of Development: June 2013 - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited July 2013
    Interesting, yeah I heard a lot of early quake players simply had mice or started playing with accel on and simply got used to it; I use to play with accel but switched to non-accel and my accuracy increased heavily (using a perfect sensor mouse as well w/ no negative + positive accel)

For the games I play, I change up the sens

If the game is slow ex counterstrike: I'll make it so I can only do a 180-190degree turn

For ns2, I make it so I can just do a 360 after a full mouse swipe on a large pad. With FOV maxed as well, feels the same oddly enough but just more turning power which is needed

Anyway I understand, maybe they can look into it. Mouse input is extremely important in video games, poor mouse input can ruin an entire game
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Honestly, until a few days ago I was unaware any gamers actually liked mouse accel. Been playing QL more frequently and apparently it's considered a good thing by most players there. Everyone else seems to rag on it and say it's the worst thing ever and blows muscle memory.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Basically what it boils down to is that I'm too lazy to move my entire arm where as I would rather just twitch my wrist a bit. :3
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It does make sense in theory, you can have a low sensitivity, which allows for great tracking skills. But with the proper acceleration settings you could snap around quickly without throwing your mouse off the desk due to having to move the mouse too far.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Honestly, until a few days ago I was unaware any gamers actually liked mouse accel. Been playing QL more frequently and apparently it's considered a good thing by most players there. Everyone else seems to rag on it and say it's the worst thing ever and blows muscle memory.

Idk depends on the game. In some games it is bretty good and in others it just messes you up.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    I've always played games with acceleration on but I tried turning it off when I started NS2, mainly because I thought it would benefit me with low framerates. I don't think there is a massive difference, as long as you give it enough time to adjust. Although I do find that I run out of mousemat more, especially while playing Aliens. If I increase sensitivity any further then I wouldn't be able to shoot lmg at distance and I don't want to play with diff sensitivity for each team.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Mouse accel is 100% muscle memory, otherwise you'd do a 360 when you want a 180, etc. I.e you see an opponent 10cm to the left of your crosshair, you'll know the exact twitch you would need to do in order to insta-snap your crosshair to him.

Granted very few people actually achieve that level of aim..

C O O L L E R
    O
    O
    L
    L
    E
    R

• 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    LINUX

This is by far the best news I've heard from this game.
  • CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    edited July 2013
    Wow. Congratulations on the Linux build, I really wasn't expecting that. Thanks for making those big changes to help increase performance.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Linux builds are seriously impressive. Release as Steam beta in a month or two so I can test it? : D
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    @wiry

A lot of people have that aim, the difference is timing when to take the shots; map control; time control; and movement

You can have pixel perfect tracking muscle memory, but if you time your shots wrong; it could mean a frag or being fragged

The people in quake with mouse accel probably had it on when they first started playing so they adjusted to it, when I had it I adjusted to it but frequently had minor overshoots/misses, to be fair I was playing a game that isn't forgiving with a miss which is counter-strike, quake is more forgiving with a miss because you don't die instantly and can dodge much better
  • TharosTharos Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175439Members
    NS2 is the last program that makes me keep windows on my computer, can't wait for a linux version :D
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    I don't know what is prettier: fem-arine or luajit-frame-render-histogram.
  • maunomauno Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185933Members
    LINUX!!! Keep being awesome! Can't wait to get this game
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Does the NS2 Linux client being almost done also mean the NS2 Dedicated server is also coming?
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Zaggy wrote: »
    Does the NS2 Linux client being almost done also mean the NS2 Dedicated server is also coming?
    I think its save to assume so. The client hsa an integrated server anyway (to play locally), so there really isnt any technical reason that it shouldnt work
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Zaggy wrote: »

Yes, the NS2 server is basically a modified stripped-down version of the client (if I recall correctly).

• HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Steam Trading Cards? They are a thing now:
    ou8f.jpg
    Yes, they are even crazier than the printed ones you may know from your school days, BUT: People like these things.
    Plus, they are easy to make. Just take your high-quality art assets, take one picture of each alien race (skulk, gorge, lerk, fade, onos), maybe add some marine cards as well (marine, exo, MAC) and BOOM! 8 sexy Natural Selection 2 trading cards!

Move to waypoint, UWE! :)

Edit: Wanted to post about the trading cards for a week and didn't take the time to read the article.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    You do realize they said in the blogpost that steam trading cars are coming?
  • CybolicCybolic Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185938Members
    Yes! NS2 on Linux is excellent news! I've actually been waiting for this announcement since you did your mini-bundle with Overgrowth. The fact that Overgrowth supported Linux was the reason I bought NS2, since I figured you were probably just as cool and would release a Linux version at some point.
    Thanks for proving me right and giving me the opportunity to finally try NS2 on my favourite (and only) platform!
    Happy day for all!
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    juice wrote: »
    I don't know what is prettier: fem-arine or luajit-frame-render-histogram.

The histogram. :D
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I cannot express to you all how happy it makes me to see NS2 running on Linux - especially Ubuntu!
  • crusha444crusha444 Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185954Members
    Woohoo! OSX/Linux!
  • gavliggavlig Join Date: 2013-01-15 Member: 179807Members
  • radionautradionaut california Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181192Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Gold
    @UWE: this incredible game is the ONLY reason i still run a windows partition... NS2 on linux would be a dream come true! [-O<
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    i had to look at the ubuntu picture twice to realise..
    my lord
    YES!
    YYYEEEEEESSSSSS!
  • herrsheimerherrsheimer Join Date: 2008-06-06 Member: 64403Members
    Thanks for linux support UWE. Very happy for the announcement! :D
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    The reason why you can have accel in QL is because the id tech 3 engine is ridiculously awesome when it comes to handling input. The game runs at consistent 125 FPS with minimal input delay and insane precision. The mouse settings allow you to decide precisely how much (or little) acceleration you put in. At that point it's cool to put in that little bit of accel depending on your personal preference.

Meanwhile in a modern consolified game with bad input handling and a single binary choise checkbox for mouse accel, you probably don't want to have it on.
  • JCDentonJCDenton Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183768Members
    I really hope that the trading cards are just Skulk, Onos, Exo, Marine, Lerk, Gorge, Fade, and I don't know, MAC?