State of Development: June 2013 - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited July 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageState of Development: June 2013 - Natural Selection 2

Another month has passed in the Unknown Worlds office, and Natural Selection 2 continues to be improved, tinkered with, and polished. Continuing on from a tradition set with the March, April, and May ‘State of Development’ updates, here is a summary of some exciting things that have been happening in June. Let’s start with Art, then move to Engineering, and finally Gameplay. Art NS2 maps are immensely complex creations. They require months of painstaking work by teams of mappers, all the while undergoing intense play-testing. Cory directs the artistic vision of maps through concept pieces, and then gives feedback to the mapping team as they set about fleshing out that vision. Biodome is on target to released in …

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open comment thread! Happy Independence Day to our American players!
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    Linux/Mac development tacked into a monthly update? I see you underestimate how many people will love this news.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    As I lerk I would roost the crap out of that tree.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Whoa, Linux/Mac support? Once that's done it will deserve a lot of mention out there. Make sure you hit up the big guys with the news!
  • liamdaweliamdawe Join Date: 2009-09-27 Member: 68885Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Thank you for supporting Linux - Liam of www.gamingonlinux.com :D
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    "A full set of exquisite cards has been commissioned, as well as profile backgrounds"

Aww yea
  • Tool8Tool8 Join Date: 2012-01-01 Member: 139405Members
    Yes, NS2 on Mac and Linux! I was expecting this to be the big announcement yesterday. But now we get the female marine and Multiplatform NS2. Awesome!
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Somebody make a reddit thread in r/games so we can upvote
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Comprox wrote: »
    Linux/Mac development tacked into a monthly update? I see you underestimate how many people will love this news.

Hehe... There is an element of discovery in there! A bigger announcement will be made once we are actually close to launching it.
  • KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    Free updates, wee! I think I'm going to have to start buying additional copies of NS2 to gift to my friends (... what? I have friends!) since I can't order plushies or t-shirts to EU, just to keep you guys going.
  • G1RG1R Join Date: 2012-08-23 Member: 156275Members
    Really cool stuff. I really like NS2, too bad the community is so small, surely deserves a bigger one. Hope the Linux stuff also brings in further performance improvements. Performance is so important for NS2 imo.

Keep it up guys! <3 NS2

Regards
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Fair play biodome is looking absolutely beautiful, I can't wait to get my hands on it.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am glad you showed b249 performance improvements in that manner because it does show the true story of performance.

LINUX OMG!!!

I eagerly await what UWE will have to say about how b250 balance turned out.
  • DerRiddaDerRidda Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154647Members
    NS2 on Linux. My body is ready.
    Good thing I picked it up in the last sale on Steam after news hinting at a Linux release surfaced.
    Also: Don't be afraid of opening an early beta for Linux users, we are used to beta software as evidenced by how many people sneaked into the closed Steam for Linux beta.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
  • ParagonParagon Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167573Members
    edited July 2013
    Ahh.. I really like your art style. Looks like Biodome is going to be another great addition to the map pool, at least aesthetically. The style reminds me of some great Unreal Tournament 2004 maps like Idoma or Corrugation, where metal and wood surfaces were mixed with lush vegetation. Love it! Also good job on the Linux version, I know from my own experience that porting applications to different platforms can be a real pain. Respect for the coders. Keep on rocking UWE!
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    BIODOME!!!!!!!!eleven
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Asraniel wrote: »

That title is a bit misleading, which is par for the course for reddit I suppose. I would have used "to add" rather than "adds"

• TrustMeImADentistTrustMeImADentist Join Date: 2013-04-27 Member: 185014Members
    edited July 2013
    Does the progress in porting the game to linux equate to progress in porting this game to macs? I am a diehard NS2 fan that can only play 4 days a week - I am on a mac the other three. Like right now.

PORT TO MACS PLEASE <333333333333

Biodome looks beautiful!
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Biodome looks gorgeous.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    gj. Stamp in matchmaking and ingame tournaments and success is profit
  • KungFuDiscoMonkeyKungFuDiscoMonkey Creator of ns_altair 日本福岡県 Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14555Members, NS1 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos
    edited July 2013
    Comprox wrote: »
    I see Comprox is trying to invalidate my excuses on why I haven't made a NS2 map yet ^^;
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I hope NS2 cards won't get cheap real quick.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    NS2 on Linux soon™?
    So close on going penguin now.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    xen32 wrote: »
    I do, since im planing on getting level 5 and foil :)

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Zaggy wrote: »
    NS2 on Linux soon™?
    So close on going penguin now.

Makes me think - all my programs I use for work are for Linux or I can get working. NS2 native means the only reason to keep windows for me, are all the other games I never play hehe.

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    xen32 wrote: »

The value of the cards isn't important, the value of the rare backgrounds/rare emoticons is; foil cards are expensive simply because they are difficult to get, trading cards become cheap because they are easy to get

Rare backgrounds/emoticons randomly dropped when crafting a badge are rare because there's only a small chance to get them, so assume the background is very cool and marked as RARE then the value of it will be higher and for longer because 1) it's cool so people would want it and 2) it's rare so it's a random chance of getting it, and the people getting it may use it instead of selling it making it even more rare

Don't mind me I'm just jenny from the block
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    edited July 2013
    Maybe the next update can be about how you're going to make mouse acceleration work properly so I don't have to install custom mouse drivers to play this game with mouse acceleration.

Linux support is really cool though, and the continued support for the competitive scene is much appreciated.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    wiry wrote: »
    Maybe the next update can be about how you're going to make mouse acceleration work properly so I don't have to install custom mouse drivers to play this game with mouse acceleration.

Linux support is really cool though, and the continued support for the competitive scene is much appreciated.

mouse acceleration doesn't work with raw input on afaik, because enabling raw input forces the game to read directly from windows

On that note, why would you ever
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    edited July 2013
    I have manage to find some drivers and a program where I can change the way mouse sensitivity and acceleration is set along the lines of the insanely good mouse acceleration of quake 3 / quake live. With commands like these:

cl_mouseAccel - the usual amount/strength of acceleration (default: 0)
    cl_mouseAccelPower - the power of the accelerating term (default: 2)
    cl_mouseAccelOffset - the mouse speed at which acceleration begins to apply, below this speed the sensitivity is constant (default: 0)
    cl_mouseSensCap - an upper limit on the sensitivity, the sensitivity will not be accelerated beyond this value (default: 0 [off])

I am by the way not talking about the poor mouseacceleration that was used in hl1 and similar games. Quake Live has AMAZING mouse acceleration settings and being a long time player with an awesome mouse acceleration curve I absolutely hate how mouse acceleration is handled in this game.

More reading (mostly for developers if they want to implement awesome mouse acceleration):

quakelive.com/forum/showthread.php?15458-New-Mouse-Sensitivty-and-Mouse-Accel-Features
    esreality.com/index.php?a=post&id=1944158

I can't remember the link for the drivers/app I used to get mouse acceleration to work the way quake live handles acceleration though (I couldn't get GlovePIE to work). I could dig it up on demand, but I guess very few people could care less about mouse acceleration. The current implementation is god awful though. Increase the mouse accel-slider and your mouse sensitivity gets lower. Nice.