First impressions from a new player.

FalrinthFalrinth Join Date: 2013-06-28 Member: 185756Members
edited June 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
First off all: Good job guys!

The idea of asymmetrical FPS (no mirrored teams with mirrored abilities and gameplays) is such a desired fresh air from all the quakish, codish and battlefieldish old steaks. The settings of alien vs marine team dragged me here in a blink of the eye.

However after playing a while i found that a lot of what i was hoping for is not here. The things i would love to see in a asymmetrical FPS with aliens and marines:

1. a feel of being prey as marine that only due to superior teamwork, awaraness, tools and tactics can survive
2. totally different gameplay for both teams - aliens are hunters, stalkers or rushers in groups, very agile, quick and deadly in melee; while marines should be countrary: slow moving (and no athmoshpere breaking quakish jumping&shootin' in melee) but superior on range and in cooperating group covering each others from corner to corner etc.

Right now when i choose alien, the success of ambushing someone from the ceiling from behind, from above, gives me nothing, cause there is enough time for marine to shot back, and jump unnaturally like crazy so he can get away with his life, having an alien melee fighting monster ambushed him... That just doesnt seem right :/ And then i have seen the marine with jet pack... T_T Why homogenising the teams so much if your game's biggest con was supposed to be (or at least as it looks like) asymmetrical teams? :/

Imagine marines scanning every area they go to secure with flashlights, watching the ceilings and walls carefully, searching for aliens ready to rip them apart given the chance. It would be so much better than quakish version we have now :/ Its like a team fortress gameplay (and thats not compliment, TF is repulsively boring) with no athmoshpere. Gameplay where aliens so often becames a prey insetad of feared and respected hunters. A little thrills and scaring woudlnt hurt in such settings.

Comments

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Thanks for taking the time to post, and for the feedback.

There are a lot of nuances to playing alien that it's very difficult to pick up in a short space of time. I have to say, NS has one of the steepest learning curves of any game, ever. When played well, aliens really can be dominating, and give marines that total fear you describe, but alas, especially with a sale on and therefore lots of new players, the aliens don't generally have the experience to do this right now in the servers. Larger servers, while being more forgiving to new players, tend (my personal opinion) to be spamfests and can be incredibly frustrating: concentrated marine fire will devastate any lifeform very effectively, and with simply more marines on the map, it's possible to get rolled quite easily if they work together even remotely well.

This is, however, a very communicative and friendly community, and I hope you can make the most of that. Join up a 16-20man server, enable your mic, and ask questions if you're not sure what's going on. You need to use the map effectively (you'll notice that pro players have the map open a LOT!), and this will be invaluable when learning the maps, too.
    Probably the 2 biggest useful nuggets I can give you right now:
    1) SOUND. You make a LOT of noise, unless you have the level 3 phantom ability, or you're stalking (press shift). If setting up an ambush, crawl to position with shift on from a lot further than you might think you need to. Sound travels a long way, and good marines WILL hear you coming, and they will expect you to be above the door, or in the vent.
    2) Walls. Use them. The very easiest skulk to kill is the floor skulk. You can gain a lot of speed by jumping next to a wall, then hit the jump key as you glance by the wall mid-jump. Then jump again when you hit the floor to maintain some momentum. There is a strafe-jumping technique you can use to maintain essentially all momentum. This has 2 effects: a) you go fast and get around the map faster, and b) you're MUCH harder to hit if you're bouncing, moving fast, and moving both side to side and up and down.

Oh and another handy tip: parasite. Weapon 2 on the skulk does 10 damage (do two bites to a marine and then parasite him and you'll get a parasite kill, which is always funny), but also highlights the marine for all nearby aliens to see, even through walls.

I hope you find some more fun games than it sounds like you had. Please do bear in mind that the influx of new players, while fantastic, also means that there will be some shoddy games had while people are working out what to do...
  • SolidSpiderSolidSpider Join Date: 2013-04-14 Member: 184805Members
    I perfectly understand that initial confusion, but if you practice a bit (a lot actually), NS2 is one of the best games out there.
    A good thing to do would be to look up some competitive NS2 gameplay on YouTube, it really helped me realise how the game was meant to be played.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2013
    Falrinth wrote: »
    1. a feel of being prey as marine that only due to superior teamwork, awaraness, tools and tactics can survive
    2. totally different gameplay for both teams - aliens are hunters, stalkers or rushers in groups, very agile, quick and deadly in melee; while marines should be countrary: slow moving (and no athmoshpere breaking quakish jumping&shootin' in melee) but superior on range and in cooperating group covering each others from corner to corner etc.

Those two things are already fundamentally in the game to be honest. Aliens can move much faster, are deadly in melee range, and have more succes when attacking in groups and using ambush tactics. Marines have to check every corner and ceiling when moving out, use their ranged advantage as much as possible, and also have to avoid moving alone as that'll get them killed quite easily. It's exactly how you described.

BUT, you might not be seeing these things at the moment, because there is currently a huge influx of new players who have yet to learn proper alien movement, ambushing and group tactics. So give it some time for the dust to settle. ;)
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    Look for some of the ns2 streams on twitch too. Edakulous was streaming again on my server so they're out there. Most of them are pretty good players too from what I've seen, they might give you some insight on some of the tactics required from aliens.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Everything you wrote is in this game when you learn to play more :)

Personally I'm a fan of the marine movement, but I see where you're coming from. Except marines wouldn't stand a chance versus the aliens without some movement like that. Aliens can always keep up.

Playing competitively I get that feeling you're talking about with checking a room with a flashlight every single room I lead into, it's intense and truly awesome.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'll get back to streaming once I fix my computer. The damn thing decided to kill one HD, destroy my Windows Boot Manager partition and fry an USB port all at the same time.

But yeah, like they said above, the game does have all you said about the atmosphere, you just need to find better players or watch some streams. Competitive matches are the way to go!
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Welcome to NS2! Glad to have you here, man!
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    NS has never really been about a scary atmosphere, the marines have always been pretty gung ho about taking down the nasty aliens (try the taunt button sometime!) and it would be a very different game if the teams had more rigid roles where the marines feel like they're on the back foot most of the time. But hey you can have the fun of being a fast hitting murder machine that never dies once you know what you're doing and I can assure you that when a lone marine spots a fade he isn't going to be happy about it :p
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I've definitely been stalked prey before!
    Lol..
    Great post though - thank you for taking the time to write it.

If you play more you will definitely begin to see those two items exist.. Even though I agree that sprint should be removed. ;-)
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    It's a bit like the Matrix -- everything you've written has been said before. Welcome to NS2.
  • FrustrationFrustration Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180628Members
    Another good tip.

Don´t be naive to think even if you do everything right, there are vets out there, who still murder you.(true enemy of this game)
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Just wait until a camouflaged onos uncloaks right before your face. Searching for mushrooms will never be the same :)
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Roobubba wrote: »
    ...I have to say, NS has one of the steepest learning curves of any game, ever...

You've never played eve online :D
    Imagine marines scanning every area they go to secure with flashlights, watching the ceilings and walls carefully, searching for aliens ready to rip them apart given the chance. It would be so much better than quakish version we have now Its like a team fortress gameplay (and thats not compliment, TF is repulsively boring) with no athmoshpere. Gameplay where aliens so often becames a prey insetad of feared and respected hunters. A little thrills and scaring woudlnt hurt in such settings.

It's difficult to design a multi-player game, especially a fasted paced game, with a lot of atmosphere. The things you described do happen with a good comm and good marines. Sometimes when wandering into a potentially contested area, you can ask your comm to give a scan there before entering to check for ambushes. Get in the habit of quickly checking the ceiling when entering rooms for ambushing skulks as well.
  • TerranigmaTerranigma Join Date: 2010-04-03 Member: 71158Members
    I agree, though, I think that gameplay-wise it will stay the way it is, which is after all good news, I think. What the game nevertheless lacks is in fact atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, I really like the visuals of the game, though, I still remember that NS1 somehow managed to really drag me in. First of all was the soundscape more dominant and the maps overall bigger and, most of all, much, much darker. Luckily, that is nothing which mappers cannot do on their own. I know UWE follow their own artdesign which obviously aims at a brighter, more colourful design which bigger hubs. I don't think that it really fits my vision of the game but then again, I still hope that some mappers are going to take some time to create some NS1-like maps, meaning maps which are generally darker, bigger, more corridors and smaller rooms.

The game is all in all much faster than NS1 especially since marines can sprint and bunnyhopp pretty much all the time. I dislike it, though, I can live with it. I nevertheless understand the disappointment that NS2 obviously tries to avoid a darker atmosphere. I think it would suit the game perfectly and add a lot as I think atmosphere and multiplayer-games are not opposite. NS1 proved that it can be done, and with the Sparkengine, especially the great lighting-system the game offers, I really think that same badass Alien-like maps could be done.
  • FalrinthFalrinth Join Date: 2013-06-28 Member: 185756Members
    Yeah it is ultra fast for nonhardcore gamer. Especially on marine side, cause aliens are supposed to be ultra fast and to be taken care BEFORE they reach you or ambush you. But with ultra fast marines it really takes away the asymmetry of the gameplay :( It just makes them all the same with only difference the range of "weapons" and ability to walk on walls which doesnt help as much as it should (succesfull ambush from behind = death). While i understund it may be great after you spend several months with the game, but its hard to be motivated to play tasteless gameplay for non-veterans.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    OK, today i have realised this game might be fun ONLY if you play it long and only just as fun as CS, quake and Enemy Territory games are for people who play them long... Just to frag more than die and top the scoreboards. There is no fun for me here cause i have been fragging and topping scoreboards a lot in my lifetime and such fps are becoming obsolete (at least for me). However i will wait eagerly and lurk around waiting for some mods or changes to this title to give it another shot in future as for more asymmetric fps than it is now.

I consider Quake, CS, and ET to be some of the pinnacles of multiplayer gaming, so to me NS2 being similar to those games would be seen as a huge plus.

To each his own however
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    OP, check out the pick up games on www.ensl.org, they're more organized and you'll see more of the things that you're talking about in your post. The teams are usually pretty balanced with most players being sort of a medium tier as far as skill level goes.. but if you're new you should be prepared to get owned for your first couple rounds. If you like it, you should join a team :D we always need more competitive players.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    One thing to keep in mind. One of the design principles for ns2 is that neither aliens or marined are the good guys. For both they are the good guys. I think its a nice concept. That why its not a horror shooter
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    As a human being I hold a little personal bias to who the good guys are. ;)
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    EgoGamer wrote: »
    As a human being I hold a little personal bias to who the good guys are. ;)

As a human being myself, I'm inclined to say the aliens are the good guys. :D
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    NS1 was scarier because aliens could kill marines faster, and there was less of the mad bouncy pogo stick tango malarkey. There were, in my memory anyway, more ambient sound effects, and marines moved in a way that felt more realistic, more immersive. NS2 has a more arcade feel than NS1 did - to me :)
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    edited June 2013
    I too would have prefered if NS/NS2 had a more slow-paced gameplay, like the typical "realistic" shooter (but in space with aliens that try to eat your face). I'm not saying NS is like Quake, but it's a lot more Quake than it's Counter-Strike compared to Call of Duty or whatever, and most people prefer the latter type of game. By a huge margin. That have been the case for well over ten years now.

A slower pace would probably have improved teamplay too (more time to group up, weld fellow players, think about which route you're going to go and so on). Especially for newbies and casual players like myself. A slower pace gives the side with ranged weapons an advantage, but an increase in health for the Alien side could alleviate that. I wonder how much work it would be to mod this...?
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the pace of the game is fine, cause it can be slow or fast paced depending on the skill level of the players in the game/teams.
    1 thing about NS, is the more hours you put into the better the game gets, its all very daunting at 1st as it dose have quite a steep learning curve but once your over that, you will see this game for what it really is.

A Masterpiece.
  • thelawenforcerthelawenforcer Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183176Members
    peregrinus wrote: »
    NS1 was scarier because aliens could kill marines faster, and there was less of the mad bouncy pogo stick tango malarkey. There were, in my memory anyway, more ambient sound effects, and marines moved in a way that felt more realistic, more immersive. NS2 has a more arcade feel than NS1 did - to me :)

rectanglar atriums connected by corridors lit by vertex light is atmospheric ^^ personally i feel that the gameplay does contain elements of what OP said, its just that the pacing and atmospherics of a single player game are not possible in a multiplayer game.
  • FalrinthFalrinth Join Date: 2013-06-28 Member: 185756Members
    peregrinus wrote: »

rectanglar atriums connected by corridors lit by vertex light is atmospheric ^^ personally i feel that the gameplay does contain elements of what OP said, its just that the pacing and atmospherics of a single player game are not possible in a multiplayer game.

Thats entirely not true. Check the multiplayer in left for dead or dead space 2 or the very old now AvP. Asymmetrical gameplays are just much more interesting than TF, Quake fragging race.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    I just wish that the aliens weren't cute besides the fade and onos ofc but even the fade isn't too intimidating. The aliens just aren't scary, gorges are gorges, lerks and skulks look cuddly, just look at babblers, they are freaking cute when they stare at you cherping :)
    edited June 2013
    OK, today i have realised this game might be fun ONLY if you play it long and only just as fun as CS, quake and Enemy Territory games are for people who play them long... Just to frag more than die and top the scoreboards. There is no fun for me here cause i have been fragging and topping scoreboards a lot in my lifetime and such fps are becoming obsolete (at least for me). However i will wait eagerly and lurk around waiting for some mods or changes to this title to give it another shot in future as for more asymmetric fps than it is now.

The more you play, the more enjoyable it gets, that's true for most games. But NS2 is not really about getting frags and topping the scoreboard. If anything, of all the FPS games I've played, this game is most of all about getting the win. Personally, I haven't seen many other shooters that puts as much focus on teamwork as this one. Of course, you can play games like CS/COD/BF competitively and use teamwork/communication too, but in general pub play those things are practically non-existent. NS2 pub play however... Although, there are heaps of green players on the servers right now who have yet to learn to this.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    and jump unnaturally like crazy so he can get away with his life
    Don't expect them to change this. Vet's like to abuse it to stay alive, and always convince them to keep it in the game.