Build 250 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• SwissPavSwissPav Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185610Members
    edited June 2013
    very well done ! for everyone who hasnt tried the BT mod yet and is new to this: PLAY IT before you talk bad about it ! That's the exact mistake i did.. played it for like 15 minutes once - hated it - never played it again and always talked about how bad it is .__. damn i was a dumbass :D after playing it a bit more with my team and in the pubs i learned how to play it and LOVE it :P

give it a try !

movement tutorials for newbies to this :P lil bit outdated but the movement is the same, it just requires a bit more skill now to keep that speed up.

• Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
    edited June 2013
    Before you cry about movement: Go NS2. Click steam overlay. Pick ns2 guides. Select classes. Roll down until you see build 250 beginner/advanced skulk/fade movement. Watch. Practise.

Edit: SwissPav was faster than me!
  • AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Neoken wrote: »
    Bicsum wrote: »
    I'm kind of sad that the BT mod test server is gone now. It was really enjoyable with so many good players playing there sometimes.

[HBZ] @ sewleks balance test

Never forget

hopefully will be back soon !!!

• xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Since you can echo harvesters now, it might be good idea to teleport harvester from main base to freshely infested area, so you don't need to send drifter in there and let harvester grow at safe location instead. In addition, echoed harvester is at full health, even if you failed at scouting and there are marines, it will take them much longer to kill it.
  • Apollo10000Apollo10000 Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183582Members
    edited June 2013
    Vitri0l wrote: »
    Not liking the removal of the ability of macs and drifters to attack. It isn't used much in pub games but rarely a comm on a losing team would spam them to the amusement of the team. Overall I prefer the way the game was before the BT as it seems to pander too much towards tweaking for competition play (as competition "pros" seem to be the biggest whiners on these forums) and not for large public games that quite a bit of the community like to play on. /pubnub

You do realize that everyone who plays this game is a competitor, this game revolves around competition, they are no causal players in this types of games, the developers intended this game to be played competitively.

I think a more precise way to look at things is skill level, but I guess saying casual is a nice way of saying low skilled.

• DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    From what I can see, bunnyhopping now has smaller speed gains and the walljumping is the same as vanilla NS2.

In those tutorials, bunnyhopping gains were large and wallpjumping had a very large cooldown between jumps so you could only use it occasionally.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Not liking the removal of the ability of macs and drifters to attack. It isn't used much in pub games but rarely a comm on a losing team would spam them to the amusement of the team. Overall I prefer the way the game was before the BT as it seems to pander too much towards tweaking for competition play (as competition "pros" seem to be the biggest whiners on these forums) and not for large public games that quite a bit of the community like to play on. /pubnub

Can you explain what change makes you feel that way?

I mean the removal of mac and drifter attack is a hard blow for the comp seen as well. I don't know how anyone could have fun again in a comp game without the joys of drifters and macs hunting a player down. It also breaks the balance of 2vs2 games.
  • FleshmaulerFleshmauler Join Date: 2013-06-04 Member: 185480Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Man I was really expecting a lot more rage on 250, but I'm glad there isn't :D Good work guys.
    Some people have asked by biomass increases alien hp; as the game progresses marine [should] be getting armor and weapon upgrades, so it makes sense that the alien life form you see 85% of the game (skulk) will get MINOR buffs as they get hives, and their commander spends huge amounts of resources to increase biomass. All it really means is that if teams are preforming evenly you'll likely need the same 10 bullets throughout to kill a skulk at worst; 14 if they have cara.

As for fades, they just play a bit differently now, but the same golden rule applies - if the marine gets a good hit on you; gtfo.
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Make sure Hugh adds a build image/screenshot on top of the changelog because this is unacceptable ;)
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Man I was really expecting a lot more rage on 250
    I'd wait until the weekend passes TOPS.

I've heard far more complaints in-game than in the forum.
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    Well, I've only played about in BT a few times, and whilst I wasn't the hugest fan on the alien movement changes (skulks seemed to just fly past their targets), I'm willing to give it a few more tries before I state my final opinion. Definitely am excited about getting used to this new fade movement... sounds tricky, but from what I've played so far, the constant energy management is a real adrenaline rush!

The only thing I've noticed whilst playing Commander in BT (again, I haven't played that much) is that the Alien tech tree seems very expensive? Maybe it's just me, but I felt like I was buying biomass constantly, with no res to do anything else! What is the average Extractor:Harvester ratio gained in public play BT? And what would you say is needed for equal tech progression? Is it still 3:2 like previous builds? Because I'm used to Marines holding 5-6 RTs with Aliens holding 3-4, but I think at those figures Marines will wildly out-tech Aliens?
  • NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The first thing I noticed when watching the new fades was too many fades still have the Shadow Step Fade mentality. The fade is no longer a unit that can nearly stop to attack some marines. At least that was what I believed there mistake was. When I faded the first thing I made sure I never did was stop moving, ever. Even so I had a few close calls and since it was one of my first attempts at the new fade, of course I didn't get any kills. I'm not quite sure how to land a kill safely with this new fade to be honest. Stopping to be more accurate, in my opinion, is a deathwish, so perhaps I should use blink to aim my strikes instead of jumping around hoping I'll eventually get him in my line of sight? Not raging just trying to figure out how to work my favorite class. ^_^
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members

I mean the removal of mac and drifter attack is a hard blow for the comp seen as well. I don't know how anyone could have fun again in a comp game without the joys of drifters and macs hunting a player down. It also breaks the balance of 2vs2 games.

Using Drifter to assist skulks was actually pretty fun as alien commander. Since they have now lost invis and some hp it would be much less effective anyway.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Desther wrote: »

Using Drifter to assist skulks was actually pretty fun as alien commander. Since they have now lost invis and some hp it would be much less effective anyway.

Yes, but that was the whole point of removing the attack ability. You just can't see shit with a drifter clipping inside you. You can still assist with drifters, but now you have to micro them youselves.
  • NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The movement tutorials are great and all, but in all honesty I would like to see someone use the new movement codes in fights so we can see how to do so as well. Pre 250 it was the Shadow-Step Dance of Blades for the fade. I'm not sure how to fight effectively with the skulk, lerk or fade now. Seeing someone use these new movement mechanics in battle and winning might go along way in helping players adjust considering combat is kinda important in this game *just a wee little bit*
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Anyone up for an experiment?

Go marine comm and immediately research AA, hold a few RTs for a while and get an Obs so you can beacon, then once advanced weapons are up buy 1 or 2 GLs and a bunch of flamers and rush the main hive.

I bet you can win about 90% of pub games this way. There is virtually no counter to it unless marines are extremely incompetent.

Nerf GLs and flamers. Seriously.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    Updating... :)

Having to weld for armor sounds great. Too bad grenade-spam-shield is still in.

Playing...
  • Live_FeedLive_Feed Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72419Members

Go marine comm and immediately research AA, hold a few RTs for a while and get an Obs so you can beacon, then once advanced weapons are up buy 1 or 2 GLs and a bunch of flamers and rush the main hive.

I bet you can win about 90% of pub games this way. There is virtually no counter to it unless marines are extremely incompetent.

Yup. Everyone can command now, it's as easy as snb says.
  • MindstormMindstorm Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175356Members
    edited June 2013
    Aioros wrote: »
    sewlek made most of the changes to the feedback of public players.
    when his mod started he had 90% rookies on the server, thanks to the freetoplay weekend.

<snip>

And thats just a little snapshot of all the changes made for CASUAL players.
    so for the love of god or anything u belive in ... stop posting such stuff without even thinking a few seconds.

I for one would have loved a bit more story behind this update. The site is basicly listing not a single reason as to why NS2 got a complete overhoul.

Seriously wth are you guys thinking, no video, no explanation, just updated tutorials which aren't even mentioned..... You guys should at Least have wait until hugh got back or something....

I mean I for one have had it with updates at this point. It's like with 249, why on heavens earth did you guys introduce a grenade launcher change in that build when 2 weeks later everything get's changed again?!?

I know this update is "Good" but for crying out loud next time you do balance chance (even minor ones) please do them like once a 2 months or so preferable even less.... Frequent updates should be bugfixes, and bugfixes only.
    This many large changes to alien movement and abilities are a one time thing. From here on there will of course be some tweaking and polishing, but don't expect another huge rework of, say, the Fade, in a few months.

Lol seriously? A one time thing? I've been relearning how to skulk a thousand times since launch. And quite frankly i'm rather close on just giving up this game because of it.... What good do I have in learning a game, or starting competitive when I have to re-learn the game every 2 months.....
    And if it's not the game mechanics I have to relearn it's some 10th refurbish of docking which totally flips me off.

• RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    edited June 2013

I haven't seen this as much as I was expecting probably because people still don't know about it or just want to try out different things. Honestly I'm mostly ok with the strength of early flamer/gl but it's too much of an all-in strat with a high success rate unless the alien team does a very good job of preventing it. Just tone down the damage by 20%ish and then let it scale with upgrades. It's not like it's impossible to make flamers and GLs useful without being OP. If necessary, make them cheaper as well as nerfing them so that they can be used more for their situational strength.
  • MindstormMindstorm Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175356Members
    Therius wrote: »
    I noticed that the explore mod is still not updated. Tooltips tell me that drifters are cloaked scouts and that armories heal armor, and the new alien upgrades don't seem to be working. The explore mod is really the only playground this game has for new players testing stuff out and old players wanting to see the changes, and at the moment it's full of complete bull.

Patch 9/10
    Introduction 2/10

Like I said. They should have waiting till hugh got back so that we could have gotten a decent explanation and preferably a video. I mean you guys created a video for onos introduction but not for a patch like this?!? I just seems as some rushed attempt to satisfy new players / pubbers.

Now that the explore mode isn't even working my wtf moment is getting even bigger.
    Introduction: 1.
  • ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Mindstorm wrote: »
    I for one would have loved a bit more story behind this update. The site is basicly listing not a single reason as to why NS2 got a complete overhoul.

Seriously wth are you guys thinking, no video, no explanation, just updated tutorials which aren't even mentioned.....

They balance mod was in testing for months, it has been the biggest thread on the forums for months, there have been several posts on the unkownworlds.com/ns2 site about the balance test, what it is and how to play it so you can give feedback before it goes live. These same posts are also right there on the inital screen when you launch the game. Unless you have been living under a rock and dont read anything you cant claim there has been no warning/explanation or anything about these changes.

Also as was stated in the first line of the patch notes "Hugh normally writes up these posts, but is on a plane from Toronto right now, having visited Torn Banner Studios. So until he lands to tell you more, here is the raw changelog:". Its not really feasible to hold back a patch just because someone who writes the formal patch notes is busy for a day. As UWE said, he will tell you more with pretty pictures and explanations, this changelist is in a raw format so people actually know what has been changed.

The patch is not perfect, and I'm sure quite a few things will change coming out of it with balance, but here is a few things to keep in mind while playing the new patch:

1 - Balance will be virtually non existant until the majority people have learned all of the changes. Especially with the movement changes to alien. Most players picking up this version of the game having not tried BT will be nowhere near as effective on aliens as they were pre 250.

2 - Dont get mad just because you arent as good as you were on pre 250. Keep playing, learn the changes and give it a reasonable amount of time before raging out.

3 - If you dont like something about the patch, make a well constructed post on why, if you truly think something is a bad change saying "the build sucks, UWE ruined the game, change it back or I quit" isnt a very effective way of getting your opinion across.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I will come back to try out this new patch. Nothing more boring than playing the same game repeatedly again and again. People should really learn, that the way is the goal when we talk about games. It's more fun to learn a new game than to play a game for the 1000nds time. The player count of nearly every game in the history of pc gaming is proof of that.

In regards to this, I think it's the best that could happen to NS2. To sad steamgraphs has no real values about the player count of NS2 anymore. Would be interesting to watch the changes in the next week.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    Marine movement feels better now and not so stiff.

Loving the new patch UWE, thanks for your time :)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The marine spawn times are kinda frustrating tbh. That's going to get old fast.