Sewlek's Beta Test Mod

Comments

• EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    I don't even understand. A lot has changed for alien comms, sure, but to a field player, it's essentially the same game with minor changes apart from the new alien movement.

That said, I know lots of people, pub and comp players alike, who have implied they might quit once BT goes live.

Having not played for about 2 months, coming back and playing both classic and BT for about a week I can hardly stand classic anymore. BT takes getting used to, it's not perfect, but it is so far much better.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    edited June 2013
    I don't even understand. A lot has changed for alien comms, sure, but to a field player, it's essentially the same game with minor changes apart from the new alien movement.

Movement is a really big part of the game, even the new marine movement decreased my accuracy with the rifle.
    edit: Remember when Skulk acceleration was ever so slightly decreased and the forum filled with people crying about brick skulks.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Sounds like Flamethrower needs its width/size reduced so it is still a good support weapon, but also a more skill-based killing weapon.
  • KanehKaneh Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174783Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    What the game needed in order to thrive, retain its current casual players, rejuvenate the game, and enthrall new customers, was more weapons/abilities and a real fleshing out of the tech tree, and some new maps.

uhh you realize that this is exactly what the BT mod is trying to do right? the FT and GL are actually viable weapons now, maybe too strong, maybe not, but everything is being used more. aliens were good on lifeform abilities, they fleshed out the upgrades so that pubs didnt' have to start shift (egg spawn on hive) and competetive didnt' always start cara (cause it was the best by a mile).

so BT actually increased the viability of weapons, and fleshed out the tech trees of both side so that all techs were reasonably obtainable and useful. new maps if out of the scope of BT, but they're always working on more maps.

as for the flamethrower, it probably needs to find its niche and stick to it more. if its meant to be suppressive, then it needs much less damage - its utility is already great (umbra removal, energy sap, heal stoppage). And maybe an increase in cone size.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    He switched drifters and eggs around on the keys...I'd just got used to the change FUCK.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    ^ I always spawn eggs instead of drifters now by mistake, lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    Will this mod be continued with future changes now that 250 is out, or will everything be internal testing from now on?
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh yeah, it's still getting updated. The BT (now beta test) will probably be the testing bed for all upcoming changes to the vanilla game. So servers for it better come back.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Jekt wrote: »
    Oh yeah, it's still getting updated. The BT (now beta test) will probably be the testing bed for all upcoming changes to the vanilla game. So servers for it better come back.

There should always be an NA server up for it when it's testing time
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    - new marine default weapon: light machine gun (thanks Ice for place holder model!)
    - Rifle is now purchaseable, costs 15 p.res, 75 clip size, higher damage and spread

HMG inc.
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    Can we have panting back pretty pretty please? Or at least a reason for it being removed? 'Someone thought it sounded dumb' is not a reason.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i want to enable it again once we have a proper sound in place
    Sewlek wrote: »
    i want to enable it again once we have a proper sound in place

Good news! I'm still sad to see the placeholder gone I thought it was quite charming personally. Skulkdogs!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    *Looks at topic title suspiciously*
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thoughts:

- The current rifle isn't visually designed to be a "heavy" weapon. Its power is about right with its appearance at the moment, and the slow-mo reload animation is really silly.
    - The placeholder LMG looks like a sub-machine gun. If anything, an SMG is the gun I would expect to have a wider spread and a larger clip.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited June 2013
    I want to kickstart a discussion on the new submachine gun / LMG on BT.

Submachine gun replaces vanilla LMG
    LMG
    - 14 damage at level 0 weapons
    - Slight increase in spread (maybe 1-2 degrees)
    - Long reload time
    - 75 bullet clip size
    - RoF (seems same as vanilla LMG)
    - Cost = 15 pres

SMG
    Damage w/ Weapon 0 = 10
    Damage w/ Weapon 1 = 11
    Damage w/ Weapon 2 = 12
    Damage w/ Weapon 3 = 13

LMG
    Damage w/ Weapon 0 = 14
    Damage w/ Weapon 1 = 15.4
    Damage w/ Weapon 2 = 16.8
    Damage w/ Weapon 3 = 18.2

LMG seems extremely strong, is 5 pres less then shotgun has a semi-large clip size but is offset by long reload time. I can't decide if its better to go with LMG or shotgun in BT which is good because playing shotgun only is really bland :(
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2013
    Why would i spend 15 pres on a spread thats 2 degrees higher than what we have now? :-/
    I'd rather wait a few more seconds and get a shotgun

And furthermore, is it desired to reduce the effective range of marines in the early game? If so, why?
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited June 2013
    Zek wrote: »
    Thoughts:

- The current rifle isn't visually designed to be a "heavy" weapon. Its power is about right with its appearance at the moment, and the slow-mo reload animation is really silly.
    - The placeholder LMG looks like a sub-machine gun. If anything, an SMG is the gun I would expect to have a wider spread and a larger clip.

I'd guess that if this is deemed worth it for balance a proper heavy would be implemented and the AR would stay in it's current role. The smg model was just a quick option from a community member to test the premise.

That said, I like the idea of a higher tech HMG-like weapon making a return to fill the void of anti higher lifeform so the other weapons (shotgun, GL) can be toned down back into the realm of sanity. As the game currently is, all your killing needs can be supplied by the shotgun which is rather one dimensional. My only reserve would be to avoid the trap of just cloning the HMG from NS1 directly. I'd personally like to see some variation. Something like an automatic nail gun-ish (accurate, medium rate of fire) projectile weapon that does heavy damage. [other suggestions welcome]

But if we can't find an alternative an HMG clone works I suppose.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited June 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Why would i spend 15 pres on a spread thats 2 degrees higher than what we have now? :-/
    I'd rather wait a few more seconds and get a shotgun
    15 pres for the equivilent of a level 4 weapons lmg with zero weapon upgrades? Doesn't sound bad to me... A combo of 1 LMG & 1 Shotgun as a two-person marine squad would be pretty damn strong in 6v6.

In saying that, 10 pres would be to cheap and 20 pres is to expensive you would take a shotgun. I think if 15 pres was used for LMG and 25 pres for shotgun would work nicely. THis is assuming you don't change other values like dropped-weapon expiry time, rt cost ect. ect.

This would move LMG to a mid-tier weapon (skulk, gorge and lerk play) and leave shotgun to high-tier weapon (fade / onos).

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I like the smg placeholder model haha even if the bullet range/spread doesn't fit the gun

As for the 'new' lmg, I'd get it for sure, judging by those damage stats it's powerful as all heck and if you're good w/ tracking you should be able to dominate with that thing
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So it seems like it's just a way of bringing the HMG back under a different name? Cool.

By the way sewlek, any thoughts on revisiting the pres-to-tres system to replace lifeform drops? It never worked during its brief implementation but it was a good idea and could work out with some more testing.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The question is this.

What role should the HMG/Shotgun/Flamethower/GrenadeLauncher have?

Each should have a designed role and once that is done, the stats can be adjusted to do their desired function. Attempting to try numbers till role is found is not a great idea.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Whattttt there's a new gun. Friday night beta pugs anyone?
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    hmg.thumb.gif

Guess who's back.. back.. back..
    Back again...
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    -?? command stations can now be build anywhere on the map

I like this idea, but what about tech points? Do marines still need them, or are they just going to become hive points like NS1?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    CyberKun wrote: »
    The question is this.

What role should the HMG/Shotgun/Flamethower/GrenadeLauncher have?

Im wondering this too, whats the role suposed to be for the new lmg?. As it stands in 250, good marines can take out multiple skulks with the lmg (smg in this) combined with quick dodging. I've not tested yet, but the lmg on paper sounds like a beast that will make life hell for aliens.

Does it/should it slow marines down a bit? (the hmg did in ns1 if I remember correctly)

• Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Your kidding me, more of this crap?
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There has been an official Test Mod since release. This is nothing new.
    Mattk50 wrote: »
    Your kidding me, more of this crap?

Serious question why do some people hate the idea of the game they're playing changing? I generally give up on a game that doesn't have a serious balance and/or content patch every 4-6 months (unless it's a very very mature game with fairly impeccable balance already) because the same old stale strategies are always optimal and you're just playing the game the same way you always did.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Zek wrote: »
    -?? command stations can now be build anywhere on the map

I like this idea, but what about tech points? Do marines still need them, or are they just going to become hive points like NS1?

WHAT?! IS THIS IN THE BT MOD RIGHT NOW? CAUSE THEN..CURSE.. BUILD 250 omg. 251 hurrrrryyy