Something needs to be done

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    sotanaht wrote: »
    ezekel wrote: »
    @ezekel
    I know that they all show up on occasion, but would you really say that it feels like the Heavy, Spy, Pyro, and Engie were designed with competitive in mind? They certainly don't feel like that to me.

e: Going off of what hakenspit said below, random crits, random spread, and varying damage numbers are all elements of TF2 that are clearly there for public/casual players over competitive players. And pretty much every non-vanilla weapon is clearly designed more for pubs than for comp although I suppose in that case you could argue that their approach changed over time.

Crits are disabled serverside

Random spread is disabled server side, all shotgun shots are static

All damage numbers are stable, the only way to obtain crits is from a kritzkrieg (and axtinguisher, afaik if that's not banned)

I left tf2 before random stat padded user items were added, and do not attribute any part of those to my post

The fact that competitive has to operate on it's own (probably non-valve) rules with bans and server side mods is proof enough that the game was not designed for competitive. Competitive players instead took the game and made it their own, completely the other way around.

Who said public players enjoy random crits? It's just a serverside variable that's enabled by default, majority of server owners don't even know how to turn that off; much like how counter-strike server owners don't know how to set round time limit, or even how to rotate the map

And they didn't make it their own, valve added in the commands so that they could be used; bans need to be done because there's random items added every week now (or so I've heard) with random stats applied, this could never make it into competitive just like how the force of nature should have never made it into competitive

Default TF2 is a competitive game, that's the end of it
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    edited June 2013
    I had to LOL at you wiry, rather than come out and say "hey, I like to beat up on greenies", you took the cowards way out with a simple "disagree" to posts that have mentioned pub stomping. Way to be classy
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    edited June 2013
    Sorry, I forgot that players with a K/D higher than 1,5:1 aren't allowed to play on public servers. My bad.
  • MindstormMindstorm Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175356Members
    edited June 2013
    I personally don't really plat that much anymore because of the following reasons. Named from primary reason and on:

-To many game changing updates:
    Updates introducing balance changes should be released once in 4-6 months or so, not every month. I had quite some 1-2 month stops between plays and it annoyed me so much that I had to re-learn how to skulks so many times... Short term updates should be bug-fixes. Long-term updates balance changes...
    <edit>I just read that this week 250 will be released with tons of balance changes... again.. UWE you are heading on a road of selfdestruction....</edit>

-The difference in skill:
    You can end up with total newbs vs total pro's, and this happens a lot (probably because of the small community as well). Possible suggestion. My suggestion is sort of like the World of Tanks match making. Pubbers can join matches and teams of 1-3 people (so you can still play with friends) and everyone get's joined a match based on skill. Normal servers/matches should still exist. Note: Discuss in the thread instead of here please.

-The fragmentation of the game:
    I started playing again this week since some time. Wth is up with the server browser, I have like 20 buttons for each mod/game mode available.... I know you guys support "modding" but at this point it's my believe it just fragmenting an already small community in even smaller portions... And even 1mil+ players played this game it would still be a bad idea. TF2/CS/SC2, there's a good reason these games don't support modding as much as you guys do. It has good things about it, don't get me wrong, but I believe it's getting too much.

-The map re-re-re-redones:
    How many times I start playing again and again a map has been changed. I know these changes are "for the good of competitive" but seriously... After 1-2 changes it's just better to let things rest. It's OK if some maps are a bit "worse" for competitive than others. There are good reasons games like cs 1.6 have a number of favorite maps. I know it's hard with the select maps available for NS2 but I think it would be better to generate more maps a.t.m. instead of fixing docking for the 10th time.
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    edited June 2013
    wiry wrote: »
    Sorry, I forgot that players with a K/D higher than 1,5:1 aren't allowed to play on public servers. My bad.

You have to accept that if one member of the team is going 2:1KD or higher they are a massive effect on the balance of that round. Having one person be so important isn't really fun for either team, and at the end of the day we're playing for fun. If you doing that good, acknowledge that your playing with people way below your skill level and that you should try to do something about it. I gave a list of the things you can do of which only the very last was leave the server. Play on pubs but play nice, or accept that your going to scare off newer players and we're going to struggle to grow the player base.

--Edit--

Just to make it clear. I've hit this problem myself. Sometimes server choice is bloody limited so you end up joining the one server that isn't full or virtually empty. If upon joining that and playing a round I find my ending KD is something ridiculous like 40:3 I'll ask to command or to switch up teams to balance it.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Unless it's a rookie server, anyone is allowed to play on any server. If someone is so good they can basically win a game by themselves, unlucky for the other team. There are no "pro" servers for people like that to join and they have a right to stay just like you do. If you disagree, you should probably start playing a game with a lower skill ceiling.
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    most ppl did, hence why you have ~500 ppl left to play with.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Match making only works for games with large player numbers. NS2 at the moment really splits into two groups; pro's/oldschool vets from ns1 and the rest. There might be a few in the middle ground, but most of the time you belong in 1 of those two groups.
    I agree 100%, which is why I prefer the handicap method I mentioned. It lets everyone play, and gives experienced players a disadvantage (often reduced damage and/or armor/health) based on their perceived level. The number of tiers and the level of handicap at each tier is entirely up for discussion. However, I'd like to see at least three tiers as I am nowhere near pro but consider myself at least somewhat better than beginners.

As I mentioned before, players that don't like this are free to use non-handicap servers.

• MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    For me, the only thing that needs to be done is to stop reading these useless posts.
  • sjusju Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184042Members
    LOL Melancor. The player count has reduced by around 400% since launch (quick math). Something needs to be done, if you're not part of the solution, you're the problem.

For me I know performance needs to improve, that will improve overall, but more importantly the competitive scene. Although I think once balance is sorted, if it's sorted by the end of 2013 and stops changing all the time.. I could get in to the comp. scene.

My suggestions won't be a huge help, but it's a kick up the ass really, get the gameplay sorted rather than testing and changing for months. And I will play :)
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Even though some may disagree, I think there needs to be an introduction to combatmod for new players rather than the main game. Most are just gonna see it and glance by since they will have no idea what it is and the main game is what they are supposed to be playing despite it being the very difficult and intimidating to new players.

Think about the type of players that are introduced to NS2 through sale or free weekend. The vast majority are likely going to be more involved in a simple, casual TDM game like combat compared to the relatively complex meta of the main game. The way I see it, when a new sale/free weekend or a new content patch is out, give some information as to what combatmod is on the title screen news segment.

Offer information on what the gameplay is "A more simple, jump in jump out experience that involves you scoring kills and assists for points in order to rank up to gain new weapons and abilities in order to destroy the enemies base. An alternative mode separate from the core game for a more casual type of gameplay." Then you can give information on how to join a server like this.

Combatmod imo, will introduce players to a hardcore game and get players coming back, even if its just for a quick few games. It allows you to gradually bring players into the main game experience without being thrown in kicking and screaming and having no idea on what to do. I guarantee that the vast, vast majority of people who bought the game or tried the free weekend don't even know if there is a combatmod because they aren't informed about it.

After their rookie status expires, I would recommend a type of notification that pops up similar to "You have unlocked a new mode" but would instead say "You've just passed your rookie status. Congratulations! If you haven't tried out all of our various game modes such as our main game, siege and combatmod, give each of them a try. Check out our tips and guides in our training section for more information. Each offers a completely unique experience." - or something similar/appropriate

TL;DR - Normal NS2 is too hardcore for most new players, introduce them to combatmod first then get them to play the main game. New players that play combat are likely to stick around instead of diving head first into a relatively hardcore game.

• RadmanRadman Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184656Members
    edited June 2013
    1. performance
    2. balance
    3. matchmaking
    4. polish
    Unless it's a rookie server, anyone is allowed to play on any server. If someone is so good they can basically win a game by themselves, unlucky for the other team. There are no "pro" servers for people like that to join and they have a right to stay just like you do. If you disagree, you should probably start playing a game with a lower skill ceiling.

Even on a rookie server anyone is allowed on, I'm not saying all good players need to be segregated. But it is exactly this elitist attitude that scares off new players. In a perfect world we'd have ranked match making. Until then the pro players will just have to take some responsibility for the health of the game. If your so good you can carry a team be a sport about it and play with a handicap. If you disagree with that accept that your behavior will scare off new players and hinder the growth of the game.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2013
    If you play NS2 a while and try different servers you realize there servers more or less rookie friendly and the overall skill level on the servers are bit different also.
    Some servers has rules against exessive rookie farming, others servers are more for competitive players with 16 slots and nsl-maps.
    I use the ELO random vote for example wich helps alot to make the teams more balanced.
    Its not perfect but we have no better alternative atm.

Btw, if an rookie joins an server marked as "non rookie" he should be slaughtered, and thats fine.

I think its normal that the playercounts drop down due summertime.
    For an small indie game like NS2 this could be more problematic.
    But this small playercount has some advantages also:
    - Its the 1st online shooter i ever played with an non existing cheater problem (the few videos posted in the forum are not an mass phenomen)
    - A game for the masses would not be NS2 as it is (you have to dumb down everything to be a mass title)
    - No "owned", "pwnd", "shotgunnoob", "fukin camper", "lerknoob", ....
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Racer1 wrote: »
    Match making only works for games with large player numbers. NS2 at the moment really splits into two groups; pro's/oldschool vets from ns1 and the rest. There might be a few in the middle ground, but most of the time you belong in 1 of those two groups.
    I agree 100%, which is why I prefer the handicap method I mentioned. It lets everyone play, and gives experienced players a disadvantage (often reduced damage and/or armor/health) based on their perceived level. The number of tiers and the level of handicap at each tier is entirely up for discussion. However, I'd like to see at least three tiers as I am nowhere near pro but consider myself at least somewhat better than beginners.

As I mentioned before, players that don't like this are free to use non-handicap servers.
    While it can work (the fatboy mutator for UT99 is a good example), its difficult to pull off in a way that doesn't frustrate people. If your health/damage/PRes/etc is constantly changing based on how well your doing, its hard to develop intuition regarding game mechanics. I still feel a skill-based matchmaking system is still a better way to go. The current low playercount makes that difficult to maintain, but combining skill-based matchmaking with a free weekend/sale/new content will likely lead to much better player retention; hence making the matchmaking system work better.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    There's a lot being done right now, that's for sure. Both BT and LuaJIT are pretty big in terms of fixing the issues of the game.

I feel the big challenge right now is to market the changes so that people are going to commit to the game again and allow the changes to develop further. The "give it time" card has been played too many times already, right now there's a need for something more solid and convincing than that. I hope UWE finds that something.
  • Metal ManMetal Man Join Date: 2011-11-13 Member: 132717Members
    Ok everyone needs to go to page 2 and read the post by Robotix. I am too nab to quote it myself. Think about that madness for one minute. This game is an RTS first and an FPS second? Who the FUCK would want to play a game of starcraft(2) from the first-person perspective of a zergling or a single marine. If this game was designed as an RTS first with FPS aspects (and not the other way around) then 22/24 players (on a 24 man server) are getting shafted. THIS GAME SHOULD BE PRIORITIZED TO THE FIRST-PERSON COMBAT. If the commander roles both play perfectly the game would be shat because the bulk of the players are being frustrated with combat. Except the alien commander also plays like shit. They need to man up, erase all the work they did, and eliminate the fucking alien commander that worthless piece of shit. Give gorges all their prior roles. INCREASE THE ASYMMETRY (WHAT NO WAY!). Alien comm sucks, gorges suck. Onos should be late game but they come extremely early. They are boring as well. Skulks should be fun throughout the game but they are slow and jump spammy and obsolete end game. lerks and fades are pretty good ill admit. Just get rid of that goddamn commander and thigns will turn around. Trust me, my goddamn words are articulate and you should fucking listen to me. Oh and everything happens so quickly. There is no early game. THE PACE IS OFF and we all know it. It's like you play a minute and next thing you know every marine has a shotgun and skulks have that shitty leap and next thing you know there is a fucking ONOS what the FUCK!

Performance. Spamming jumping and lack of precision in combat. Cross your fingers and hope your skulk bites land on the marine in your vicinity. Combat. Power Nodes. POWER NODES COME ON! It is such a wonderful implementation of map control for an RTS. Power nodes would work if this was only an RTS but it isn't. Players need to shoot and I can't explain how this affects combat but we can all agree the power nodes can go FACK themselves.

To sum it up: Spammy, cross-your-fingers combat. POWER NODES. Alien commander. PACE. GODDAMNIT LISETN TO ME I AM YOUR FANBAZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    Metal Man wrote: »
    Ok everyone needs to go to page 2 and read the post by Robotix. I am too nab to quote it myself. Think about that madness for one minute. This game is an RTS first and an FPS second? Who the FUCK would want to play a game of starcraft(2) from the first-person perspective of a zergling or a single marine. If this game was designed as an RTS first with FPS aspects (and not the other way around) then 22/24 players (on a 24 man server) are getting shafted. THIS GAME SHOULD BE PRIORITIZED TO THE FIRST-PERSON COMBAT. If the commander roles both play perfectly the game would be shat because the bulk of the players are being frustrated with combat. Except the alien commander also plays like shit. They need to man up, erase all the work they did, and eliminate the fucking alien commander that worthless piece of shit. Give gorges all their prior roles. INCREASE THE ASYMMETRY (WHAT NO WAY!). Alien comm sucks, gorges suck. Onos should be late game but they come extremely early. They are boring as well. Skulks should be fun throughout the game but they are slow and jump spammy and obsolete end game. lerks and fades are pretty good ill admit. Just get rid of that goddamn commander and thigns will turn around. Trust me, my goddamn words are articulate and you should fucking listen to me. Oh and everything happens so quickly. There is no early game. THE PACE IS OFF and we all know it. It's like you play a minute and next thing you know every marine has a shotgun and skulks have that shitty leap and next thing you know there is a fucking ONOS what the FUCK!

Performance. Spamming jumping and lack of precision in combat. Cross your fingers and hope your skulk bites land on the marine in your vicinity. Combat. Power Nodes. POWER NODES COME ON! It is such a wonderful implementation of map control for an RTS. Power nodes would work if this was only an RTS but it isn't. Players need to shoot and I can't explain how this affects combat but we can all agree the power nodes can go FACK themselves.

To sum it up: Spammy, cross-your-fingers combat. POWER NODES. Alien commander. PACE. GODDAMNIT LISETN TO ME I AM YOUR FANBAZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post gave me diarrhea.
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Racer1 wrote: »

While it can work (the fatboy mutator for UT99 is a good example), its difficult to pull off in a way that doesn't frustrate people. If your health/damage/PRes/etc is constantly changing based on how well your doing, its hard to develop intuition regarding game mechanics. I still feel a skill-based matchmaking system is still a better way to go. The current low playercount makes that difficult to maintain, but combining skill-based matchmaking with a free weekend/sale/new content will likely lead to much better player retention; hence making the matchmaking system work better.

Maybe an admin mod? If you feel someones causing issue on the server by being too good, you throw on a handicap that takes a percentage off their damage. Give a notification "You are playing with 90% damage handicap". Yes it could be abused but so can any admin tool. But it's clear, it allows them to continue playing, and it gives the other players a chance against someone much better than them.
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    edited June 2013
    I feel like the only guy who finds playing with people much better than you really fun. If you actually manage to kill that godlike fade or marine you feel like a king! Watching them play can be very revealing about ways to improve your own play. If someone is stomping your team so badly then the game should end soon and you can try again, maybe they'll have a bad round. I can't imagine feeling like I "should" be able to 1v1 anyone on the other team and have a decent chance of killing them, some people are going to beat you 95% of the time that happens even if you do everything right; the mistake you made was choosing to engage with someone who is just plain better than you. Having sufficient game sense to know when to actually engage is a gigantic part of any fps game that seeks to have gameplay more sophisticated than "put the crosshair over the other guy faster than he does".
    Mindstorm wrote: »
    -To many game changing updates:
    Updates introducing balance changes should be released once in 4-6 months or so, not every month. I had quite some 1-2 month stops between plays and it annoyed me so much that I had to re-learn how to skulks so many times... Short term updates should be bug-fixes. Long-term updates balance changes...

OK so I know that the CoD series is massively popular in spite of never ever making any significant patches to their consistently broken games with terrible balance, but nobody else agrees with this right?
  • FrizzlecatFrizzlecat Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183752Members
    chikoto wrote: »
    how about a more accurate chart?

http://steamcharts.com/app/4920

That's fucking depressing.

• herakl3sherakl3s Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75852Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Metal Man
    etc...

LOL
    One of the best post i ever saw posted here, would awesome you 9000x if i could!
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    I think something else that could be done would be some sort of community integration (I know easier said then done). But one of the things I love about this game, and one of the things that everyone glows about in the Reviews is the welcoming and mature community. Most of that is driven, IMHO, by the gameplay, and teamwork required to win. I don't think anything they add would DRIVE a welcoming community but they could add things that SHOW OFF the community.

A few suggestions I have read in other threads
    -NS2Stats full integration
    ---+Access to stats in game (potential Vanity Ranking?)
    ---+Potential Matchmaking data
    -Organized Play System
    ---+http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/organised-play-systems/
    I feel like this could be truly transformative, especially if they marketed/designed it as a generic engine (not sure if that is even feasible)
    ---+Twitch Integration would be awesome for this
    -Community Vanity Badges (Mentor Program)
    ---+There was a thread about this, but basically a way to Tag users for being Pro/Friendly/A good commander/whatever Voted by peers, ideally in game.
    ---+This is similar to some server Mods out there but making it official would be awesome.
    -Hats, and Micro-transactions for Mobile gaming that can synergize with Facebook integration and Mobile Ads (jk)
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    Am I the only person here who's played other fps's (and yes, any game where I shoot at things from a first person perspective is an fps in my book, I don't care what the counter reasoning is) that have had servers dominated by one person? This happens in every one of them, it's not the reason NS2 has a lower population. Pub stomping is a problem for server admins/operators to either care about or not care about, not game developers. And it's certainly not what's killed off the population either, because I can garauntee you whatever game those people went back to or on to had exactly the same problem in that regard.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    THIS GAME SHOULD BE PRIORITIZED TO THE FIRST-PERSON COMBAT.
    It is.

That's why the RTS portion is still pretty basic with regards to function and features.
    Emoo wrote: »
    Maybe an admin mod? If you feel someones causing issue on the server by being too good, you throw on a handicap that takes a percentage off their damage. Give a notification "You are playing with 90% damage handicap". Yes it could be abused but so can any admin tool. But it's clear, it allows them to continue playing, and it gives the other players a chance against someone much better than them.
    Announcing it will just piss off more people as they will know they are being nerfed for doing too well.

If you really want to make this work, I think you need to try to follow two principles:
    1. Give an advantage to the less skilled player rather than disadvantage the more skilled one
    2. Avoid modifying the basic FPS-components of the game (e.g. damage, health, speed, etc)

That does limit what you can do, but its a bit necessary to prevent frustration problems. In particular, I think you could do the following:
    - Players with lower score/kill gain PRes at a faster rate or get periodic PRes bonuses
    - Players with higher deaths spawn faster
    - Players with lower score/kill get refunded a portion of their weapon/lifeform costs upon death

It would address one of the bigger issues with new players in which they don't get much chance to practice better weapons/high lifeforms because they simply don't live long enough with them.
  • Apollo10000Apollo10000 Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183582Members
    edited June 2013
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    THIS GAME SHOULD BE PRIORITIZED TO THE FIRST-PERSON COMBAT.
    It is.

That's why the RTS portion is still pretty basic with regards to function and features.

Yep, anyone who thinks the RTS side takes precedent is a bit dim, looking at Herakles and Metal man here.

This game is about 80% FPS and 20% RTS, there's a greater argument about increasing the RTS portion, then the FPS side.

• FlamingoFlamingo Join Date: 2009-07-15 Member: 68141Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I quit about a day after Gorgeous dropped and haven't played more than two or three hours since. I plan to come back after the BT mod is finished transitioning in with hope that it will spice up the gameplay from what it was like when I left. Until then, I'll just remain lurking and listening to my friends who still play.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    ma$$a$$ter wrote: »

You're kidding yourself if you really think all the people left because of that.
  • sjusju Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184042Members
    The green rookie system is counter-productive to the game. You're asking a game player to assess their own abilities either before they get in game or based on games they have played. I strongly believe disabling or removing this feature will greatly 'balance' servers (bad word to use tbh) or otherwise make games more enjoyable for all.
    Locklear wrote: »
    ma$$a$$ter wrote: »

You're kidding yourself if you really think all the people left because of that.
    I'd say its the second biggest reason after performance.