Skulk cone bite

Mad selectionMad selection Join Date: 2013-01-01 Member: 176967Members
Is lag can influence the conebite dmg? Like the marine is filling up your screen but you still only do 25 dmg time and time again? How the hell am I suppose to get better when it look so random?

Comments

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Glancing bite will hopefully be removed next patch. It is one of the changes in the balance mod
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    I like stepped bite cones because they create "dynamic" encounters and give me a chance to have some impact on the game as I can't aim my bites terribly well.
  • LústLúst Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178186Members
    I am starting to hate this alot. I am almost borderline about to quit the game because of this mechanic. I have put 450 hours into the game and I can overlook 95% of the games being stacked, or the fact that games are decided in the first 5min. But this mechanic is really awful in my opinion and Anti Fun. I would not even call it a class ceiling skill since even landing a 50 out of a bit can mean the difference between a kill or death.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    edited June 2013
    Scatter wrote: »
    I like stepped bite cones because they create "dynamic" encounters and give me a chance to have some impact on the game as I can't aim my bites terribly well.
    Agreed, they help those of us who are casual gamers and dont manage to always line up the marine in the middle of the screen when we bite.
    Sure if I spent hours practicing I might be able to...but it simply raises the skill floor too much and makes an already difficult team to play even harder.
    Glancing bites actually mean that pro's can still refine their attacks to always hit 75's..but new players are not forced to either hit or miss...and have a greater tolerance to not having perfect aim.
    This lowers the skill floor and makes the game more accessible whilst still providing a high skill ceiling and areas for those inclined to improve on.

@Lúst - having those 50's and 25's being a miss is even more frustrating...trust me for those of us that were around during the beta when they initially narrowed the bite cone and before they added in glancing...you just simply didn't land bites at all.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Is lag can influence the conebite dmg? Like the marine is filling up your screen but you still only do 25 dmg time and time again? How the hell am I suppose to get better when it look so random?

That almost certainly means you are too far away from the marine. The game rewards you with some damage (instead of zero damage), while you learn to gauge distance.
  • LústLúst Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178186Members
    edited June 2013
    Bites are client based, so missing bites is not an issue on the server side. What is an issue is when you go from 50 life to 0 without the game reflecting it.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    hakenspit wrote: »
    ....words

He was being sarcastic :P

edited June 2013
    ....words

Well ppl usually put "/end sarcasm" at the end...seeing as there is no way to gather this simply by puitting up text otherwise.
    If he is indeed being sarcastic then he should do this..rather than assume the communities so small (and in awe of his opinions) that we all know what he is thinking when his words dont align with his apparent sentiment.

A lot of us more casual gamers cant aim our bites very well and as such glancing blows do offer a way for us to have some impact (other than boosting the marines K:D ratio).
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    That's a big leap hakenspit, to make that big assumption of my intentions.

Then to speak on behalf of everyone in that because you didn't get it that it was somehow a failure on my part to make it clear to you.

Perhaps you weren't my target audience ?

That's a big leap hakenspit, to make that big assumption of my intentions.

Then to speak on behalf of everyone in that because you didn't get it that it was somehow a failure on my part to make it clear to you.

Perhaps you weren't my target audience ?

I guess I am not on the inner circle but I should somehow have be able to extrapolate if your being sarcastic based on a post with no indication that you are.
    Your post, in isolation, is not very different from what I and others said in the past when the bite cone was nerfed and led to the addition of the glancing bites in teh first place.

I dont live and breath this game...I dont subscribe to any fan boy clubs that so many other here seem to...as such I take what people type at face value as I dont keep a running tab on their past comments.
    I think that perhaps you should consider what your typing and that if people dont know you then it will be misinterpreted if your being sarcastic and not giving any indication.

I dont think I am wrong to post saying that if you were being sarcastic that no one would have any idea (unless they knew you personally and you apparently contrary views to that which you posted.

The attitude that others should somehow be able to read your mind is juvenile and down right arrogant.

Sorry if you find this a bit harsh...but you have simply attempted to bait ppl who dont know you.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Remember people, when talking on these forums you have to use completely analytic language and not assume that people can grasp the subtleties of social interaction.

I'll leave hakenspit trying to figure out whether I was being sarcastic or not. Don't spoil it.
    Therius wrote: »
    Remember people, when talking on these forums you have to use completely analytic language and not assume that people can grasp the subtleties of social interaction.

I'll leave hakenspit trying to figure out whether I was being sarcastic or not. Don't spoil it.
    Clearly we have ppl who like acting like children and wont spoil it to tell you which one you are...
    Just going to say that its comments like the above that do nothing but prove the community is all about a select few who all know each other and their opinions on matters.
    And when one of them is pointed out as being unhelpful and antagonistic in a post (Which was apparently sarcastic (because we should all have known what he was really meaning to say..not what he wrote) all their friends jump in to defend a poorly written post that was clearly meant to be misinterpreted.

• TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    No man, it's just you. I haven't got the slightest idea who that guy was you replied to. Stop making yourself so easily assailable and don't rant for three paragraphs when you miss on someone's obvious sarcasm and things might get better.

Now, I'm out of here before we incur the wrath of IronHorse.
    No man, it's just you. I haven't got the slightest idea who that guy was you replied to. Stop making yourself so easily assailable and don't rant for three paragraphs when you miss on someone's obvious sarcasm and things might get better.

Oh so everyone knows who scatter and and whether or not he is being sarcastic?

Sorry but thats a load of BS.

He makes what was apparently a sarcastic comment with no way of anyone knowing it was sarcastic unless they know his private opinions on the matter (or perhaps read every one of his previous posts)...sorry but all i did was point out if he was being sarcastic he should have, like most ppl who are used to communicating via written means, give some indication a statement was sarcastic (ie /end sarcasm..as ppl often do).

• Salraine_ChiSalraine_Chi Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107669Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013

Clearly we have ppl who like acting like children and wont spoil it to tell you which one you are...
    Just going to say that its comments like the above that do nothing but prove the community is all about a select few who all know each other and their opinions on matters.
    And when one of them is pointed out as being unhelpful and antagonistic in a post (Which was apparently sarcastic (because we should all have known what he was really meaning to say..not what he wrote) all their friends jump in to defend a poorly written post that was clearly meant to be misinterpreted.

I also read that post and thought it was an honest opinion as there is no clue as to it being sarcasm. Its also very similar to a post I made in defence of glancing bites a while back. Not having superhuman powers and take what people say as face value I clicked on awesome. I would like to take that off now.

Dont be put off by the bully boy tactics on here Hakenspit. They would like nothing better than for you to leave the forums and I have also been on the end of some abuse over the years for daring to have an opinion that differs.

I also read that post and thought it was an honest opinion as there is no clue as to it being sarcasm. Its also very similar to a post I made in defence of glancing bites a while back. Not having superhuman powers and take what people say as face value I clicked on awesome. I would like to take that off now.

Dont be put off by the bully boy tactics on here Hakenspit. They would like nothing better than for you to leave the forums and I have also been on the end of some abuse over the years for daring to have an opinion that differs.

FYI you can remove an awesome by clicking it again....I know thats what I did once it was pointed out he was being sarcastic.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    ....words

Well ppl usually put "/end sarcasm" at the end...seeing as there is no way to gather this simply by puitting up text otherwise.
    If he is indeed being sarcastic then he should do this..rather than assume the communities so small (and in awe of his opinions) that we all know what he is thinking when his words dont align with his apparent sentiment.

A lot of us more casual gamers cant aim our bites very well and as such glancing blows do offer a way for us to have some impact (other than boosting the marines K:D ratio).

You say there is no way of gauging sarcasm merely from the text but that's like saying Adolf Hitler was a chicken pie fighting off bolognese.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    Soooo...glancing bites probably gonna be removed (BT mod), while every marine bullet counts, no matter where it hits?

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something here :S
    ....words

You say there is no way of gauging sarcasm merely from the text but that's like saying Adolf Hitler was a chicken pie fighting off bolognese.

No sorry, the fact that most ppl know who hitler was (and what his opinions where) makes your argument float about as well as the titanic after it hit the iceberg. Despite what scatter might want to believe not everyone knows what he thinks on every topic (or cares to).

I dont know what scatter's thoughts are on everything (nor do most ppl who post here...hence why they post their opinions) so if he want to be sarcastic and have ppl realise this he needs to stop believing we all can read his mind and know what he really thinks or give an indicator (such as /end sarcasm...which has been how ppl illustrate sarcasm on the internet for 20 years or so).

A block of text...which simply states god exists does not necessitate that the author does not believe it (despite the fact other dont agree with this statement), in fact it would be fair to assume they do believe this.
    Sure his mates might know his personal beliefs...but other ppl dont and as such the statement would be misinterpreted.
    But by putting some tag j/k or lol etc at the end will give an indicator to the reader of the authors actual opinion.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    says he doesnt live and breath this game;
    consistently makes long argumentative posts
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Goodbye glancing bites, dont let the door hit your ass on the way out!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN...
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited June 2013
    The removal of glancing bites on the BT mod was a buff to all skill levels of aliens. If you think otherwise, then my first question to you is: have you actually played the balance mod? Even lower skilled skulks will do more damage with the new bite cones. This pseudo-math of 25-50-75 ranges compared against the new 75-range is a classic example of "garbage in, garbage out."

Hakenspit, you seem to be under the impression that the bite cone was changed to be an incredibly skillful weapon. It's not. If you're a casual player who prefers to hold M1 in combat, you'll still land plenty of bites and overall likely get more damage done. The bite cone is pretty forgiving.

Seriously. Just try it. There are a lot of things to complain about in the balance mod, but the removal of glancing bites (and large increase in size of the 75 bite cone) is one of the best changes in the mod.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    edited June 2013
    Removing glancing bites is an outright nerf to aliens... If you are arguing for the removal of glancing bites your claiming that aliens are OP

Glancing bites are not an issue, if your alien they can do nothing but help (some damage vs. no damage). Before this patch I rarely landed para so my default attack was 75-75-25 against a lvl0 rine Where on my third bite I snapped it of not caring if I got the full damage.

Only situation people don't like glancing bites is when playing rines where people are taking damage, if your taking glancing damage you should be thankful not upset that the alien isn't more skill because I would have landed the full 75...

People who want rines to be more powerful in close combat need to play aliens more.... In a ranged vs Meele battle the Meele should be far more effective....
    GORGEous wrote: »
    The removal of glancing bites on the BT mod was a buff to all skill levels of aliens. If you think otherwise, then my first question to you is: have you actually played the balance mod? .

While I can't speek for BT the addition of the glancing bites was an addition not a replacement. Because of this the statement "remove glancing bites". Implies go back to original bite cone. If your suggesting a new larger bite cone that's some where between 25-75 damage cones that's different and would introduce different problems...

As for BT while an amusing idea I don't see the practicality of playing it.... Playing a theoretical update where some-none-most-little of it may-may not-eventually-immediately become part of the game is useful in trying out new ideas but not useful in developing skill.... In the end the largest player base is not playing BT so the majority of players won't want to see sweeping changes to game play... If your expecting BT to become the official version yor expecting UWE to piss off the bulk of their players and risk severely hurting said player base...

Personally I'd like to see a gradient where it sloped from 85 to 20 where the potential for 2 perfect bites could kill a lvl 0 rine. ( I mean perfect... The equivalent to a head shot)

• GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    Removing glancing bites is an outright nerf to aliens... If you are arguing for the removal of glancing bites your claiming that aliens are OP

Glancing bites are not an issue, if your alien they can do nothing but help (some damage vs. no damage). Before this patch I rarely landed para so my default attack was 75-75-25 against a lvl0 rine Where on my third bite I snapped it of not caring if I got the full damage.

Only situation people don't like glancing bites is when playing rines where people are taking damage, if your taking glancing damage you should be thankful not upset that the alien isn't more skill because I would have landed the full 75...

People who want rines to be more powerful in close combat need to play aliens more.... In a ranged vs Meele battle the Meele should be far more effective....
    GORGEous wrote: »
    The removal of glancing bites on the BT mod was a buff to all skill levels of aliens. If you think otherwise, then my first question to you is: have you actually played the balance mod? .

While I can't speek for BT the addition of the glancing bites was an addition not a replacement. Because of this the statement "remove glancing bites". Implies go back to original bite cone. If your suggesting a new larger bite cone that's some where between 25-75 damage cones that's different and would introduce different problems...

As for BT while an amusing idea I don't see the practicality of playing it.... Playing a theoretical update where some-none-most-little of it may-may not-eventually-immediately become part of the game is useful in trying out new ideas but not useful in developing skill.... In the end the largest player base is not playing BT so the majority of players won't want to see sweeping changes to game play... If your expecting BT to become the official version yor expecting UWE to piss off the bulk of their players and risk severely hurting said player base...

Personally I'd like to see a gradient where it sloped from 85 to 20 where the potential for 2 perfect bites could kill a lvl 0 rine. ( I mean perfect... The equivalent to a head shot)

Let's go back to my first question:
    Have you played the balance mod?

Obviously you haven't. Then please go try it because it's disingenuous for you to say:
    Removing glancing bites is an outright nerf to aliens...

Since you don't actually know because you've never played the balance mod.

So for some actual facts:
    When the glancing bites were added, the 75 damage bitecone was REDUCED and the 50 bite cone now covers part of what the very old 75 bite cone covered along with some extra space. The 25 bite cone is even more extra space off the edge of that.

The balance mod bite cone for 75 damage is somewhere between the 25 and 75 bite cones on vanilla. The net result is more consistent hits and similar damage output for various skill levels of skulks when compared with the glancing bite cones.

So to summarize the net change:
    The new 75 cone is significantly bigger.
    The old 50 cone is now mostly enveloped by the new 75 cone.
    The old 25 cone plus part of the 50 cone is gone.

And all this, if considered in a vacuum, works out to a buff across all skill levels of skulk because the extra hits that will now be 75 makes up for your loss of the 25s and a few 50s. (IE two 75s + two misses = one 75, one 50, one 25, one miss -- severely made up numbers simply to demonstrate the concept).

Source: I've actually played the mod before I criticized it.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Glancing bites seemed like such a good idea but then I realized I'm not getting any better at getting 75 bites, because the whole distance to "that and that flailing limb" is so wonky you just never learn the right spot - also what is not helping is the damage indicator being hard to read in the heat of battle.

Would really like to see 75-only bites back, so I could actually start improving with biting.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'm happy to see glancing bites go as I seem to be able to land 50s even when directly facing enemies. I have to agree with GORGEous though, it buffs aliens a fair bit, once you actually try using the BT cone you'll start landing 75 bites almost all the time.
  • thelawenforcerthelawenforcer Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183176Members
    edited June 2013
    gorgeous, i find your response really unnecessarily hostile. alot of the problem with judging the impact of these changes is that nowhere are the changes actually clearly spelled out. it becomes all about feeling and perception whereas these are notoriously biased and inaccurate.

if it clearly spelled out, in detail, what changes had been made to the cone - it would be alot easier to make thoughtful judgements.

regarding the change, i think its a buff for highskill players - the 75 bite cone is supposedly bigger but a quite serious nerf for lower skill player as naturally they will not be inflicting as much damage as before as its likely they had a higher proportion of their damage dealt as 25 and 50's. raising the skill floor will only turn more new and casual players away from the game imo.
    statikg wrote: »
    says he doesnt live and breath this game;
    consistently makes long argumentative posts
    Being able to find time at work to post my opinions on a forum is different to being able to invest hours in putting to memory everyones personal opinions.

@Gorgeuos I have tried it...dont like it...not in the BT mod or back during the beta.
    I dont care that the BT mod allows a lightly bigger 75 hit zone...most less skill players are likely to be getting 25's or outside of 50's more than inside 50's (inside being near 75 zone).
    The bite cone was nerfed in the beta and I objected then, when glancing came in I said it offered some help but was still an overall alien nerf.
    Whats being implemented in BT is simply an alien nerf...even more so if aliens are not good at aiming.

@Ghosthree3 well given that BT only has 75 damage your comments a tad strange.
    Rather than hitting 25's you will miss outright and do 0 damage, if it would have been a 50...better hope it was closer to 75 than 25 as otherwise thats a miss too.
    There is no other way to look at it other than a nerf to aliens.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2013
    I could be wrong, but the 75 cone in BT feels bigger than in base, and what I mean is it gives better feed back to me as what is and isn't a bite, rather than what is a perfect bite and what's a glancing, so I learn what to do better and faster.