[Suggestion] Point distribution from destroying enemy structures

iums1iums1 Join Date: 2013-01-23 Member: 181370Members

What about distributing points from destroying enemy structures by damage done and not by last hit?
I personally find it very frustrating if you take the initiative/risk and get a resource tower/harvester down to 30% health, then leave because of the onrushing enemy defence only to find out that the structure has been killed by a team mate. The team mate gets all the points, you go empty handed. Most of the time my aggression against Rts/harvesters triggers more players to join in and i think the initiator doesn't get rewarded properly for that, i think the current system needs to be improved.

Comments

• facetfacet Join Date: 2013-01-25 Member: 182074Members
    I personally think last hitting is not the biggest issue with the score. Yes you hurt the harvester really bad, however you did not kill it, did you?

The problem with the score is, that it seems arbitrary and does not present a hard fact but is more like a subtle indication of activity and effectiveness.

I would like the score to be more kind of "enemy resources destroyed". So if you kill a Lerk you get +30 score, if you kill an Onos you get +75 score. It is a little bit more complex with the Frontiersman. You could decide on awarding +10 points if you kill a jetpack shotgun wielder and another +20 when the shotgun disappears (no other marine picks it up).
    When you have this system in place you could think about distributing the points between the team members. E.g. scaling with damage. The tricky part about this though is that the units can possibly heal up and you should not award 10 times the score for a Lerk just because he healed himself up 15 times. Which time period do you consider "combat"?
    It could go crazy and be a fully aware system where each point of damage is individual. Let's say a base Exo (400 health) and a welder Marine gets attacked by three Skulks (A, B and C Skulk). Now A Skulk bites the Exo two times. The Exo is at 400-2*75 = 250 health. Next the B Skulk gets a glancing bite off. The Exo is at 225 health. The Marine starts to weld the Exo up to 300. Now comes Skulk C and finishes off the Exo with four bites.

Damage:
    A Skulk: 150
    B Skulk: 25
    C Skulk: 300
    Welding: -75
    Sum: 400 (Exo base health)

effective Damage:
    A Skulk: 100 (50 damage was welded)
    B Skulk: 0 (because B Skulk damage was fully welded)
    C Skulk: 300

So the Exo dies and A Skulk would be awarded 17 score and C Skulk 33 score (50 Exo resource cost).

• iums1iums1 Join Date: 2013-01-23 Member: 181370Members
    Just now had a game where i lead a pack of skulks which killed 3 RTs in a row, i didn't get any points. I was last in score with 0 points and got shouted at by the team for being useless. Next time i will go for unimportant and easy power nodes to boost my score.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    Or play on a decent server, hop around until you find a community that you like. That's the advantage of the server system.
  • iums1iums1 Join Date: 2013-01-23 Member: 181370Members
    Tinker wrote: »
    Or play on a decent server, hop around until you find a community that you like. That's the advantage of the server system.

That's not my point. If i damage a structure 80% i should get 80% of the points, pretty obvious.

If you damage an enemy player 20%, one should get 20% of the points, currently you get 2 points for an assist no matter how much damage you dealt. Which is ok in my opinion. I can live with that, at least you get some points. They should implement this or the suggestion which turns damage done equally into points, do 30% damage get 30% of the points.

On Pro level this might not be an issue but i find it very frustrating in public.
  • zenefzenef Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It doesnt matter how much points you get/have. It matters if your team wins.

However there are points given and many look at them too much and play to get as many as possible.

Ideas to get players to do more important things even when they only care about points:
    1. points from power node from 15 -> 5
    2. points from harvester kill from 15 -> 50

Too many times in public games marines lose when no one kills harvesters. I guess they get "enough" points from building and killing skulks by camping.