PC Gamer Top-25 Shooters List! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited June 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imagePC Gamer Top-25 Shooters List! - Natural Selection 2

There are a few video games out there. Every genre has acres of titles to choose from, built up over the 51 years since Spacewar. Taking any of those genres and trying to name the best invariably involves sifting through thousands of games.

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bumperoo to open comment thread. Excuse me while I go take a cold shower, I got a little bit excited by all this.
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    Congrats, well deserved
  • MikplayeurMikplayeur Join Date: 2009-05-09 Member: 67373Members
  • Tool8Tool8 Join Date: 2012-01-01 Member: 139405Members
  • SolidSpiderSolidSpider Join Date: 2013-04-14 Member: 184805Members
    No Unreal Tournament? Gud list iz gud.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    So are we going to have this thread degenerate into another listing of everyone's favourite games too?
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    A great honor, it's awesome to see NS2 here! I just wish the rest of the list had been better, but it's still cool to see the game get some recognition
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Once again, as much as I love NS, there is no possible way this game should of made it into the 25 Top Shooters of ALL TIME. Especially NS2. NS1 was a lot more successful in population, uniqueness of gameplay between both sides, balance, and performance.
  • sjusju Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184042Members
    I'm confused how a game that struggles to get on the steam top list manages to get in the top 25 shooters...
  • CheekySurpriseCheekySurprise Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185306Members
    They literally never played this game
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    sju wrote: »
    I'm confused how a game that struggles to get on the steam top list manages to get in the top 25 shooters...

Popularity is not always an accurate means of measuring quality. There are some games that are great but struggle to attract an active population and there are others that are generic/hackneyed in design but still manage to draw in millions of players.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    UWE paid them OFF for this - with OUR MONEY!!!

:P JK

Awesome to see some recognition for NS2!
    Full List

1. Team Fortress 2
    2. Half-Life 2
    3. PlanetSide 2
    4. Quake III
    5. Borderlands 2
    6. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
    7. Doom
    8. Tribes: Ascend
    9. Battlefield 1942
    10. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
    11. Left 4 Dead 2
    12. Battlefield 3
    13. Counter-Strike
    14. Far Cry 3
    15. Natural Selection 2
    16. Arma 2: Combined Operations
    17. F.E.A.R.
    18. Max Payne 3
    19. MechWarrior Online
    20. Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad
    21. BioShock
    22. Unreal Tournament
    23. SWAT 4
    24. Wolfenstein
    25. No One Lives Forever

Own opinion? I found Swat 4 to be terrible and Bioshock to be better than 90% of that list.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Deja vu...

...didn't we have this thread already?
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Yes, but now it's OFFICIAL!

(ps grats UWE keep up the good work)
  • BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Sweet :D

Hope a few players come our way from this ;) ... get yer marketing hats on, this is a good opportunity ;)

Popularity is not always an accurate means of measuring quality. There are some games that are great but struggle to attract an active population and there are others that are generic/hackneyed in design but still manage to draw in millions of players.

What? Without quality you can't get popularity. You also realise you're talking about a game which many users still report problems trying to get to run and the main gripe about it is it needs performance upgrades, and always has been.

NS2 is far over shadowed by NS1, needless to say. It's nice to get a mention, but for the right reasons.
  • SkulkittoMeSkulkittoMe Join Date: 2013-05-04 Member: 185115Members
    edited June 2013
    Congrats! I disagree with the placement of many of the titles, but I am very excited to see NS2 among the fray... exposure!
  • TharosTharos Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175439Members
    Well ns2 deserved it, it's an awesome game but the list is strange imho
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    I'd never have noticed... oh wait :-\"
    anyway, congrats again, hope this will get a couple of people interested.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    How does Cory feel about getting a full page of his artwork in PC Gamer? That's pretty sweet.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    juice wrote: »
    How does Cory feel about getting a full page of his artwork in PC Gamer? That's pretty sweet.
    Really cool that they gave us a full page spread like that, since they only did that for a handful of the picks.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    What the heck is up with that list? I read the full list from @sju post. Man do I disagree with almost all of it. More than half the games don't deserve to even be on that list, at all. But whatever, I hope this boosts Natural Selection 2's sales. I hope even more that NS2 will become enjoyable (for me) again. And I hope to the max that the spark engine is used in some more games in the near future (1 to 5 years).
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    What the heck is up with that list? I read the full list from @sju post. Man do I disagree with almost all of it. More than half the games don't deserve to even be on that list, at all. But whatever, I hope this boosts Natural Selection 2's sales. I hope even more that NS2 will become enjoyable (for me) again. And I hope to the max that the spark engine is used in some more games in the near future (1 to 5 years).

Honestly, I feel that the Spark engine is the main reason behind NS2's stall. Having been a Source game as originally planned, the game would have been released years earlier and more people would have been capable of playing the game as it is a lot less CPU/GPU intensive.

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    PoNeH wrote: »
    Ironsoul wrote: »

Honestly, I feel that the Spark engine is the main reason behind NS2's stall. Having been a Source game as originally planned, the game would have been released years earlier and more people would have been capable of playing the game as it is a lot less CPU/GPU intensive.

With as many people as UWE have, we would not have seen the game by now had they gone with source. IMHO, that is.

NS2 is actually my personal favourite game of all time, so I'm delighted to see exposure like this, even if many of the games on that list really shouldn't be, and a whole bunch of others really should be.

'Grats to UWE, and fingers crossed your performance improvements can be brought out in time to really make the most of the increased exposure :)

• TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Roobubba wrote: »
    With as many people as UWE have, we would not have seen the game by now had they gone with source. IMHO, that is.

What do you mean with this?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    What? Without quality you can't get popularity.
    Then please explain COD multiplayer.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Therius wrote: »
    Roobubba wrote: »

What do you mean with this?

What I mean is that by putting the effort up front to develop spark, then layer on the game logic with lua, UWE were able to actually get the nuts and bolts to polishing work done a lot faster than had they gone ahead with Source. In my opinion. Sure, if they'd have changed their design so it would be possible on the source engine, it *might* have been quicker to make, but I'm not 100% convinced of that tbh.

Of course, we'll never know, because there is no control experiment ;)

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    What? Without quality you can't get popularity.
    Then please explain COD multiplayer.
    It has that je ne sais quoi TF2 also has for pubbing. Jump in, slap some stuff around without thinking about it and also for instant gratification, jump out when done.

Believe it or not, but CoD is one of the highest quality couchFPS's there is :P

--> Too bad, because of that it needs all the aids like aim assist, hud "ENEMY THERE indicators, super low FoV, low quality graphics so it can run, and of course super powered listen servers =)) And of course as little depth as possible so you don't get invested beyond shooting stuff and getting kill streaks to shoot more stuff...