Make player points for destruction of structures more fairer

DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
edited May 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
Currently the reward points for structure kills appear to be awarded to the person who gets the last bit of damage in and not to the person / people who's done the most amount of damage.

For example, i can run in, pop half a clip of a machine gun into a alien resource unit that 2 of my teams mates have been grueling away at and steal the the whole 15 points.

This also happens with the cysts and pretty much everything that isn't killing the enemy related (which has recently been addressed with the addition of 'assist kills').

I think the current structure kill reward system is pretty unfair at the moment and i do feel guilty about it when it happens, maybe i've got it wrong, but the way points are rewarded for killing structures seems completely unbalanced.

The way i would envision it would be if 3 people are attacking a structure such as a resource unit and do similar damage, they get the 15 points divided 3 ways.

If dividing equally is a problem, at the very least the person with the most amount of damage should get awarded the points, not the last person that comes in and does the last bit of damage whilst another member of their team is reloading or using a weapon that does far less damage.

Comments

• dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    This is a cool idea, but at this point in VNS2, points don't really count for anything. Maybe talk with someone about getting a mod up?
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IMHO, points need to be removed. They have no meaning and all they do are cause pubs to devolve into "who got more points" and no one wants to go gorge or be useful because they can't get kills, aka. points.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey, your team killed the extractor. Counts as a win no matter who did it. 

In fact, I often prefer to stop attacking/building whatever it is and cover possible attack routes once backup arrives. 
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited May 2013
    This is a cool idea, but at this point in VNS2, points don't really count for anything. Maybe talk with someone about getting a mod up?
    Already asked IWF if he wanted to add it to Better NS2 and unfortunately he couldn't.

NS2 stats was suggested but they appear to need more coders from the comments on the Steam Workshop page so i don't feel like asking, i don't like some of the changes in the Balance Mods so they are not an option for me, would have to be part of a newer mod from the looks of things.

I just think that if the developers are going to include points, they should implement it better because as it stands, they currently don't count for much.

Hell, i earned like 50 points from a game yesterday just by killing Cysts that the alien commander kept cheekily placing in our base for like 5 minutes, Cyst points should definitely come down to 1 in my opinion, 2 is too high.

Do i think points are the most important part of the experience, not really, having a fun time is but we have them and thus they should be better implemented.

And to be honest for points to truly matter, there needs to be a 'time played' section in the score board as well, i'm surprised that this is a glaring admission as well, you can have all the points in the world but it's less impressive if you took 30 minutes to get there and the guy a few points behind you only took 10 etc.

This last part would have to be added into the game by the developers.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Eh, I generally find that it's best not to focus on points anyway. They're really not important at all, I only care if my team wins.
  • The_Irrelevant_OneThe_Irrelevant_One Join Date: 2005-06-13 Member: 53816Members
    edited May 2013
    IMHO, points need to be removed. They have no meaning and all they do are cause pubs to devolve into "who got more points" and no one wants to go gorge or be useful because they can't get kills, aka. points.
    I feel the same way except about kills. I'd rather have points be displayed than kills, but of course I would because I'm terrible.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    So someone who constantly killing restowers is not important. Thats interisting. I remember one game on a 24 sloz server where i had 22-0 kills but doing nothing usefull the whole game. (only camping and use other players as meatshield).
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members

True to a certain degree, but then there are other people who ARE points hoarding and this will have an adverse effect on them.

"Why stop and take out that extractor? I'm not going to get 15 points for it any more."

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited May 2013
    or we can remove points as they don't stand for anything, I seriously had a guy not attack an rt until it's hp was 3-5% just so he could shotgun it and get the points, but he didn't hit it at all during the time I was attacking it

If I could have thrown my keyboard through my monitor into his face, I would have

I'm fine with assists (but no + points) so say a gorge healing will get an assist, but it won't be mentioned anywhere but the scoreboard

K/D/A seems like useful info you'd want to see during a match, points do nothing besides promote individuality (if the player is really that stupid)
    edited May 2013
    I don't see the problem of having points in the game, only the way they are currently implemented.

Points without time played is pretty pointless in my opinion though, so if they don't plan on ever including the 'time played' stats, they might as well remove points entirely.
  • salvadorjersalvadorjer Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163138Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ezekel wrote: »
    If I could have thrown my keyboard through my monitor into his face, I would have
    Smackus maximus?

That said i'm not against points, i just feel like they should be rebalanced. Such as getting points for healing allies as a gorge or for building gorge tunnels etc. Generally speaking everytime to follow a commander's in-game instructions getting points would be nice too.
  • CragChristCragChrist Join Date: 2013-05-15 Member: 185239Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Using a points system to justify a way to rank the quality of the players of the game you're in will never work. The true context of the situation can never be measured.

Let's take RT killing for example in this situation:
    Player A has killed 3 RTs when the aliens have 8. He is awarded 15 points for killing those RTs by himself (no idea how many points an RT is, just an example).
    Player B has killed the last alien RT and has effectively res locked the alien team. He is awarded 5 points for killing an RT by himself.

Who did more damage? Obviously Player A by raw numbers. However, obviously Player B by context. You could argue that other people had to kill the other extractors up until Player B res locked them, but wouldn't that last RT also be the most heavily defended? Shouldn't that be worth more points to show the true value of that kill? If aliens have 8 RTs, you've got more problems than just RTs and aliens could care less about them. I'd gladly trade 3 RTs for your base. How can you ever factor in such context?

I understand that the points system is there to display how much contribution you're adding to the team's efforts, but the only true way to see who contributed more is based on what team won, hence the argument for removing points all together. I don't mind points being in the game, but I don't think they should be your focus (certainly your teammates hope they aren't, because they want a damned victory). If someone wants to point stack, let em! You know whats important and if you win doing that, that's the best kind of positive feedback you can get. I find that points are more of a "Oh hey, thats nice" after the victory has been achieved.

I don't think Payton Manning was more concerned about his stats than he was about winning a Super Bowl.

However, I'm totally fine with someone making a mod to rework the points system. I just don't think its important enough to focus on nor is it really interesting.

tl;dr If you need a points system to justify or explain your contribution to a team's efforts, you don't understand what's really important for a victory. Sometimes a zero points job is the most important one. Changing the points system should belong to a community modder and not take focus from UWE.
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    To all those who say points should be removed, I have no idea why you would say that. Sure, some people are stupid and play for the points, but the good thing I see in them is that without it the only way to tell if someone is useful is by seeing by yourself, and the kills he gets. What I mean is, if you're not good in fights, you should gnaw on RTs etc. right? What is the best way to see if someone going 0-15 is doing anything for the team? Well, points naturally.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    CragChrist wrote: »
    Using a points system to justify a way to rank the quality of the players of the game you're in will never work. The true context of the situation can never be measured.

While what you say is true, generally, the person with the higher points is better than the person with lower points.

They need a system that might include factoring in how much damage you do to a structure. Say, 200 = 1 point.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2013
    If anything, I'd want death count removed.
    I've been killing alien structures all the time, just running straight behind enemy lines and choppin dem harvesters and upgrades, wasn't even trying to shoot lifeforms. Ended up #1 by score with 3:20 K/D. And comm said "ZOMG NOB WE LOST BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SHOOT LOOK AT YOUR SCORE".

Points for just damage is not fair actually, it should be points for damage to killed structure. Because otherwise you can find lone crag and farm points whole round.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    edited May 2013
    There are 2 kinds of people out there:

1. "I dont give a s**t about score"

2. " Scoresystem isnt fair/efficient/whatever"

= Scoresystem have to be changed and everyone is happy :>.

I dont get why UWE implement such a strongly luck-based system. Bad design @ this point.

Gorges are able to leading the score. I saw that several times and achieves that myself. And the meaning of a scoresystem is fun/self-assessment/motivation for a lot of peoples. To say they have to remove this...well...would not be a smart move by UWE :/ .
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    edited June 2013
    Score is there for the people who think score is important to have one more thing to feel good about. Feeling good is good. Might as well leave it in.

If someone is such a bad player that they let score determine how they play, taking away score or changing the way score works won't make them any better.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    The current "last hit takes it all" mechanic annoys me both ways. I don't like almost killing a structure, only to have it finished off by someone else... and at the same time, it feels cheap when I help out a teammate with something, and get the points for doing so little. This applies to killing, and to marine building as well.

(Note that I don't care much about points, but *if* they are there, they should be awarded properly. People pay too much attention to K/D already, so it's good to have a counterweight that rewards structure damage, healing etc.)

As @xen32 has pointed out, awarding points for raw damage dealt is not a good idea. What I would suggest is only awarding points on a kill, but splitting them in proportion to the damage dealt. The same would work for marine building: if I help my teammate by building the last 25% of a structure he started, I get awarded 25% of the total points, and he gets 75% (even if he's already dead). Simple and fair.

(Implementation note: To calculate the correct proportions when entities heal during combat, the game can simply keep track of damage dealt between each pair of entities. When an entity returns to full health, reset all damage counters that target it. As each player can only damage a few targets at once, the counter lists shouldn't get too large.)
    This has been beautifully resolved in the Reinforcement patch.

Many thanks!