Issues in NS2?

waflzwaflz Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158459Members
First one im noticing

Skulks move slower then a marine that is sidestep jumping, how is this balanced or fair?

Input lag? You can be shot or get shot around a corner, On your screen you are safe but they still manage to squeeze a kill?

Marine guns shoot true to the server, skulks bite does not bite true to server? Meaning if your lagging as a marine and your still a decent shot your going to be able to kill skulks regardless of your ping, if anything your ping helps you dodge skulks because the bite on the skulk is so minimul and abused by a step jump?

Im posting this not to complain or bitch but , more as a question?  Are these even considered issues? Alot of these are why the game only has mabey 1000 people playing at one time imo.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2013
    waflz said:
    First one im noticing

Skulks move slower then a marine that is sidestep jumping, how is this balanced or fair?

Input lag? You can be shot or get shot around a corner, On your screen you are safe but they still manage to squeeze a kill?

Marine guns shoot true to the server, skulks bite does not bite true to server? Meaning if your lagging as a marine and your still a decent shot your going to be able to kill skulks regardless of your ping, if anything your ping helps you dodge skulks because the bite on the skulk is so minimul and abused by a step jump?

Im posting this not to complain or bitch but , more as a question?  Are these even considered issues? Alot of these are why the game only has mabey 1000 people playing at one time imo.

- Floor skulking is indeed slower and for some reason marines have more aircontrol, but they are a lot more predictable when doing their jump thing. have a look at "walljumping videos" to get a faster Skulk. And always aim upwards a bit when Skulking near a marine, they are bound to jump and that way you already have your aim in that spot.

- That isn't input lag, but just the way how the internet works what with the maximum speed limitations on lightspeed. It's being lag compensated. Where an enemy players sees you on his screen, is a fraction behind where you are on your screen, this has always been that way. Also a marine with a higher latency will have a higher delay for when his inputs arrive at the server. So in effect higher ping >200/300ms, will cause them to have a disadvantage.

[edit]If you're unsure about the server's performance, open up the console with the ~ key and type net_stats 1,
    this will show you the server info. The tickrate should be ~30 if it is below 20 or even lower you are going to see more netlag issues and general jittery behavior.
  • waflzwaflz Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158459Members
    Well as always, Your responces are great, thank you.

But i can wall jump just fine, its when im at a marines feet, and they strafe jump, they accelerate faster then i can move leaving me dead lol.

Lag as a whole, effects everyone equaly unless your shooting or biting. The shooting in NS2 seems very tight and responsive compared to the biting. Im not sure if its lag that effects the biting but for a skulk to stay at a decent marines feet and bite him while he manages a few strafe jumps is nearly impossible. 

Server performances is great :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2013-05-09 Member: 185176
    I would like to add, that I think that ARCs should require constant Vision on a traget to shoot because otherwise the counter(Ink) does not work as a counter because it takes time for the Ink to hide the structures after a scan so the ARCs can shoot anyway.
    And the whips should get a bit more range but just a liitttle bit so they cant be outranged even at doors :D
  • MkollMkoll Join Date: 2013-02-11 Member: 182996Members
    Ref marines moving faster than skulks - getting facerolled before you even get within biting distance is not fun. there are no circumstances where what is in essence a quadripedal predator should be outpaced by a hopscotching marine doing the crouch jump HL1 bellydance. this is everything that is bad in FPS games. any arguments about facilitating "pro gaming" should be twisted, rolled, flattened and screwed up into a really REALLY small ball and forcefully inserted into a permanently dark body cavity. the pro gamers can, and will, go play something else very quickly, as this game is failing to hold anything resembling a steady player base. For NS2 to survive, and christ i love it, it should be appealing MUCH more to the casual player or rookie player and it's getting harder and harder to comm for pub alien teams as a result.
  • salvadorjersalvadorjer Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163138Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    While i may not agree with the physics of your phrasing. (How does one roll states of electrical ativity/inactivity into a ball? Or philosophical points for that matter?). This concern is one of the ones i adressed in my return to ns2 thread. Namely that bunnyhoping (or any similar jump spam mechanic) is deeply immersion breaking.
  • MkollMkoll Join Date: 2013-02-11 Member: 182996Members
    i dont necessarily mean immersion breaking. if a skulk can get within melee range then the odds should be very heavily in its favour, considering it has no ranged attack to counter the marine's LMG, which works just as well at melee range as it does the length of the map. balance is about scissors paper stone. yes yes, there are other lifeforms, but in the time it takes a novitiate to master those lifeforms most have already uninstalled.
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    edited May 2013
    I remember the days when NS2 had over 2,000 concurrent players at peak hours. Then build 240 came along and nerfed Skulks into the ground... Now we are lucky to pass 800 concurrent players...

This is a good lesson for UWE, though. Never nerf the basic class/unit into the ground.
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    need more free weekend and Sale 60% to get more players

DOTA2 still in the top 10 on Steam list players
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited May 2013
    Nerfed skulk movement has put me off from the game for months among other changes that were put in for the last tourney. At that point I realized where the balance was going and was put off the game as a whole because of it. Still drop in once in a while though.

edited May 2013
    Robotix wrote: »
    I remember the days when NS2 had over 2,000 concurrent players at peak hours. Then build 240 came along and nerfed Skulks into the ground... Now we are lucky to pass 800 concurrent players...

This is a good lesson for UWE, though. Never nerf the basic class/unit into the ground.

This is exactly why new players cannot enjoy the game, they start as a skulk then realize that a marine can jump faster and further then your basic movement , they have already uninstalled.

I love the way you put this, hit it right on the spot.

This game will not survive with tournements alone, most pro players are considered a hinderence to regular pub servers.
  • salvadorjersalvadorjer Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163138Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mkoll wrote: »
    balance is about scissors paper stone.

In this case i think the balance is rock paper shotgun :D

That said if you mean for pure damage then i have to say i feel like i disagree since when you get into melee you often do so with negligeable hp lost (if they aim well and aren't ambushed you're more likely dead). At that point it feels fine early game. It's even balanced imo vs weapons and armor 2 (with carapace and celerity for example). Armor 3 and weapons 3 do feel like a challenge admittedly but at that point the kharaa have much more available synergy.
    Salvador i dont think were talking about late game , mainly because of the synergy you mentioned and because of the many links to get to late game that you can adapt or change to balance the game.

Early game issues is what causes people to leave the game :(
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    IMO Skulks are pretty awesome, ask any of the people I play with regularly, I play skulk the most even if I have enough res for high life form.

For fellow skulk-lings: Do you feel the need for speed?

Your welcome,
    ISE