Why high ping kicker's need to be implemented

StriderNS2StriderNS2 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175867Members
edited January 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Why people with high pings ruin games</div>So I was playing a pub game of NS2 on a west coast server. I noticed this gent teleporting around the map. I checked the scoreboard. Low and behold. He has a ping of 445. So out of curiosity I decide to check out his steam profile page to see where in the world he is located. Oh snap, he's on the west coast as well? So I think to myself. Why do I have 25 ping and he has 445 ping consistently? Is his internet really that bad? Probably not. So then I notice he's 5-2. Seems like he's having no issues getting any kills. I saw him take down some teammates as well. So what's really going on here? Could he be possibly rate hacking/speed hacking? It's a known issue in the community. Possibly. This is not meant to be a witch hunt thread. The point of me going through all the trouble to divulge this information is to get some sort of high ping kick function implemented either by the DEV's or by the community. That way server admins can stop this sort of thing from happening if they so choose.

If you want to see the video that was removed by the moderators because it contained "accusations". Head over to <a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/ns2/" target="_blank">http://www.reddit.com/r/ns2/</a> and click on the link with the same title as this thread. You can see the evidence that way. I don't want to directly post it on here and break the rules. Hopefully this is an okay alternative so people can observe the video evidence and form an opinion on the subject matter.

<i>Note: I don't believe the video divulges the players name. It just shows him teleporting around.</i>

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->removed the video link and images, we do not allow public accusations on the forums. And moved it to I&S -Kouji San<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Comments

• AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    edited January 2013
    Better to solve the netcode responsible for making high ping players teleport.

Without teleportation there wouldnt' be any complaints about this, because the high ping player would be as easy to hit as everyone else, and only experience disadvantages on his end.

(Unless you count shooting around corners due to CSHD, but that's not an advantage either because on his screen he had the same exact time to hit you as you were actually out of cover. It just takes something like<!--coloro:#808080--><span style="color:#808080"><!--/coloro--> ( yourPing + hisPing + yourPing )<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> miliseconds for you to discover he got you, which can be nearly a second. Which means dying after you think you've been behind cover a full second. There's probably an additional server updated rate element to that math too, I'd guess.)
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    and how about the people who have no avaliable close by populated servers for them to play on? do they have to bite the bullet so you can have a happy day? Some people also like to play games hosted in other countries as well. this is a very discriminatory and selfish suggestion so no i say, no and never think of it again.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    <!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro--><sup>*<b>snip</b>*</sup><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->. in some servesr has ~300ms ping and is getting 3:1 K:D ratio... really doubt that's possible.

<!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro--><sup>What part of "we do not allow public accusations on the forums" did you not understand? - Angelusz</sup><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    I thought that was the one possible benefit of having 100ms interp was that going overseas and playing on 250-300 ping really isn't that bad. I mean it seriously doesn't feel that weird going from 50-80 ping Aus servers to playing on west coast/Canadian ones at 230-270, never had someone say I was teleporting or anything.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It's actually a big disadvantage to have a high ping in NS2. This is pretty much a moot point.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061731:date=Jan 16 2013, 07:53 PM:name=StriderNS2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StriderNS2 @ Jan 16 2013, 07:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061731"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So what's really going on here? Could he be possibly rate hacking/speed hacking? It's a known issue in the community. Possibly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you maybe thinking of the max fps limit that makes people warp around but their ping is still relatively low IIRC.
    If they have a high ping, I'm not sure they are doing that on purpose to gain an advantage.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I did not think this was ping related as I've seen people with green pings doing the same thing. I thought it had to do with very low frame rates, or more likely packet loss.

It's very annoying in any event though.
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    edited January 2013
    since i already tested this i might be able to post some stuff :>
    1. when im downloading i get ~ 300-400 ping in ns2. i can still play the game (some warping <u>sometimes</u> but its still ok) and even get like 22-4 kd. BUT everyone else has problems with hitting me, they see me warping, etc.
    2. players who warp around all the time have very low fps. you can test this with "maxfps 5". (in this mode it is very hard to hit anything but its also very hard for enemies to hit you).

so yes warping around happens when people have bad pings or/and with low fps, but its unplayable with the low fps warping.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062052:date=Jan 17 2013, 10:17 AM:name=Locklear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Locklear @ Jan 17 2013, 10:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062052"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's actually a big disadvantage to have a high ping in NS2. This is pretty much a moot point.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not a moot point if it simultaneously provides a massive disadvantage <i><b>and </b></i>a massive advantage (constant teleporting). At that point it's a pretty significant loophole in the netcode that players will feel is worth exploiting.

Teleporting laggers definitely happens often enough, and is irritating enough, that it deserves a medium priority fix to smooth out the teleporting.
  • StriderNS2StriderNS2 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175867Members
    edited January 2013
    If you want to see the video that was removed by the moderators because it contained "accusations". Head over to <a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/ns2/" target="_blank">http://www.reddit.com/r/ns2/</a> and click on the link with the same title as this thread. You can see the evidence that way. I don't want to directly post it on here and break the rules. Hopefully this is an okay alternative so people can observe the video evidence and form an opinion on the subject matter.

<i>Note: I don't believe the video divulges the players name. It just shows him teleporting around.</i>
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062235:date=Jan 17 2013, 10:03 PM:name=StriderNS2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StriderNS2 @ Jan 17 2013, 10:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062235"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you want to see the video that was removed by the moderators because it contained "accusations". Head over to <a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/ns2/" target="_blank">http://www.reddit.com/r/ns2/</a> and click on the link with the same title as this thread. You can see the evidence that way. I don't want to directly post it on here and break the rules. Hopefully this is an okay alternative so people can observe the video evidence and form an opinion on the subject matter.

<i>Note: I don't believe the video divulges the players name. It just shows him teleporting around.</i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this is excactly what happens when you have a high ping. and yes the game runs fine for him and he can still get kills.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    I totally agree with the original poster.

I also want to see a real time ping analyser and kicker get created for NS2.

High pingers ruin both the server and the game.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    High ping has nothing to do with teleporting, teleporting is caused by packet loss (can happen on low ping too) or unbelievably low fps. At high ping the only difference is that when the PERSON WITH HIGH PING dies, they will not know it for a while because the message hasn't been received yet and as such can still move/shoot/bite.
    Server hosts actually recommend a maximum ping of no more than 300.

Jest has max_ping 200 included as default in its config and Bluefang recommend to set the max ping to 300.
  • jorgamunjorgamun Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183703Members
    Our server runs a custom high ping kicker. It samples their pings every refresh and kicks them if their average ping over the last 30 seconds is over the threshold for kicking (ours is 250). Works great for us.
    edited May 2013
    jorgamun said:
    Our server runs a custom high ping kicker. It samples their pings every refresh and kicks them if their average ping over the last 30 seconds is over the threshold for kicking (ours is 250). Works great for us.
    Sounds perfect, i'm assuming you haven't released this to the Steam workplace as a mod for anyone else to use by any chance?

The only one on there is the High Ping Kicker by Vitcom.

Which to me appears pretty useless as it only occurs when the client first connects to the server, sounds very similar to the max_ping variable.
  • kespeckespec Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172279Members
    a high ping kicker will kill the game for me as i can only play this game with high ping servers.. this is not a game quite famous in my country region.
    I got one, it's now part of the Shine Admin mod, Person8880 is da man! :)
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    kespec wrote: »
    a high ping kicker will kill the game for me as i can only play this game with high ping servers.. this is not a game quite famous in my country region.

it would kill the game for me too, i work night shifts and all of my local servers are empty at the times i can play. I would have to play the game on weekends and i rarely game on weekends so i would probably just quit.

i hardly ever see people complain about my ping, the ones that do are mostly just bitter that they lost, infact i score better on low ping servers :/

• salvadorjersalvadorjer Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163138Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My ping being irregular i'd just get kicked every so often and then have to rejoin. It'd still be a pain. (stable 50-60 for half an hour and then shoots to 700-999 for a few minutes).
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    My ping being irregular i'd just get kicked every so often and then have to rejoin. It'd still be a pain. (stable 50-60 for half an hour and then shoots to 700-999 for a few minutes).

You should call your ISP; it might be related to your physical line. Explain the situation so they come check it. It may also be on their side.

Unless your ISP is well known to be an unstable service provider.
  • BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I don't see any issue ..

You can vote any player off using the vote system ...
  • jostoljostol Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166659Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Have the people complaining about people with 300-400 ping actually played with that much lag?
    Most high-latency players do not teleport around the map. In-fact, low ping players can teleport too.

There are many reasons one might have a high ping, such as playing with an overseas friend in their local server.

Honestly this thread comes off to me as a whinge about getting beaten by skilled players from overseas.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited July 2013
    Generally, anything under 200 is unoticeable, 200-300 shows a little lag, and 300+ shows considerable lag.

Actually, I would instead say under 150 is unnoticeable, 150-200 may be barely noticed by some people (is NOT however, enough to effect gameplay AT ALL), 200-300 shows some lag (still, under 250 should not effect gameplay in most situations), 300-350 shows more lag, and 350-400 shows considerable lag.

I'm saying that just for this game since RTS and turn-based games can go higher.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    The more I play on far away servers, the more I realize it's not so much the ping of a player that causes odd behavior in this game. I'm not sure what it is, but I see players with 300 pings pull the same sketchy moves / kills as I do people with 50-70 pings. I'm not sure what is going on, but sometimes players will seem to be a full second behind, and these same people also seem to be deadly accurate with their weapons - so what happens is you go in with fade / lerk for a hit & run, think you made it out then die literally 1 second later around the corner. It is impossible to detect if these players have noticed you and are firing at you because there is such a huge delay. Again this has happened many times with players with low pings. A few times I asked the player "How is it we both have a 50-70ms ping but when we encountered eachother right there you seemed to be on a 1 second delay?" to which the response is always "No idea" .
    edited July 2013
    Joe, i have also experienced this, both me and my friends playing against each other with similar low pings yet what's going on on both players screens is different / delayed.

For example, i killed a friend who was quite clearly out in the open but he insisted he was behind a wall.

There was no rubber banding on the server (was only a few of us in there) neither was there fps or ping spike issues so i can only conclude it's an issue with the game its self and something for the developers to fix.