Marine vs Marine [Beta]

Comments

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    It's updated to B246 and converted over to the mod framework. I'm fixing the bugs created by the update/conversion now. So, when I have the time to get that done. Good news is updates should be a lot less painful in the future, and this "should" resolve the problem with MvM being incompatible with other mods (like Shine or DAK, etc).

• DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    McGlaspie said:
    It's updated to B246 and converted over to the mod framework. I'm fixing the bugs created by the update/conversion now. So, when I have the time to get that done. Good news is updates should be a lot less painful in the future, and this "should" resolve the problem with MvM being incompatible with other mods (like Shine or DAK, etc).

This is awesome - great work McGlaspie!
  • LerchiosiLerchiosi Join Date: 2013-04-06 Member: 184670Members
    Great job ! im itching to play this mod again, TBH i dont play vanilla NS2 anymore. Keep up the good work man!
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I should make a map for this once it is released again. Making a map for this would give me good training for when I desire to make a map for NS2 proper.

Background in Source should make it reasonable as well.
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    Great news! Looking forward to playing it!
  • MeldityMeldity Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183593Members
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IMG_20130506_025139%20-%20Copy.jpg

General idea. Dots are the res nodes and X is Command Stations. Started on left side of map and then ended up doubling my scale. I like this general layout. Top is an outdoor area over a cliff. Insides are general areas. South Command Station area is hard to capture, easy to defend if not captured, but brings aggressive side. Drawn in res node is where a fourth res node per team would be besides the top and south contested one. S is where I want Arcs to work. T is Marine Tunnels. North Marine Tunnel in center of map is underneath both rooms and leads to the south side of the center room and the south side of the outside areas. Hmmmmmmmmmm.
    edited May 2013
    HTML ERRORS ATE MY COMMENT<div><br></div><div>I MEANT NO OFFENSE TO CYBERKUN.</div>
    edited May 2013
    @DarkSeraph
    I did not expect to come off as clueless but all of your suggestions are aimed at someone at that level and did not help me at all. Nothing on the left side? The map is symmetrical and not drawn in, I guess I should have clarified but I thought it would be obvious. For the map too long to top to bottom, it is an issue with the scale used as I ended up changing my scale due to being a rough draft. Loops, well I've known of the idea of loops for years. The lack of loops on the bottom part of the map is designed to be that way. I want the area hard to capture, the fastest route to the enemy base, and once captured, a good place to stage an assault.

I just wanted a general look at the idea of the map and how the design of primarily hallways would work. I know in a real map it would be quite bad but for MVM, it would be quite good.
  • Cat-PokerCat-Poker Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156670Members
    I see the mod tracker is getting updated. Looks like it's almost ready!
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited May 2013
    Woot, i can't wait for this mod, i just purchased a server ready for its release!

I only managed to play one game of MvM back in March i believe and it was awesome, i never did find the server again :(
  • VesanusVesanus Join Date: 2009-07-18 Member: 68183Members
    Tracker: Just make if F'ing work update

Hehe.
  • Cat-PokerCat-Poker Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156670Members
    Any word on progress?
    1.5 hours a week is not enough time to mod (B247/8 update)

THAT IS A LIE! Anyways, any free time or should I not expect this to update for another month?
    CyberKun wrote: »
    THAT IS A LIE! Anyways, any free time or should I not expect this to update for another month?

I too am looking forward to the mod being available again, but pressuring him nets you nothing. Let the man work at his pace, or offer to help him code.
    I do not mean to pressure him in any manner. Just wanted to know since it will determine when I will start learning the Spark Engine fully.
    CyberKun wrote: »
    I do not mean to pressure him in any manner. Just wanted to know since it will determine when I will start learning the Spark Engine fully.

I'm sorry to pester, but can I ask how the completion status of MvM has anything to do with learning the Spark Engine?

I assume that you are talking about mod creation, of which there is a plethora of information and a whole forum dedicated to helping you out (I wonder where that is located). If you want to learn the Spark Engine I'd suggest you dive on in sooner rather than later.
    edited May 2013
    I've checked a fair amount of the engine already, but I want to create a MvM map first. Once that is done, I will decide if I want to make a full size map for NS2. Before I start on the MvM map though, I want to verify that I will have a MvM mode to test on. If he does not plan to release MvM in a fair while, then I will do something else. I just wanted to have a plan for the first map based off of if this will be released reasonably soon or not.

I am not being unreasonable by asking about a vague date, but I've had projects like this. Most of the time it is easy enough to say such things as, within a month, within six months, etc etc.
    I thought MvM used standard maps?
    It does. As a mapper though, MVM is a great game mode to get used to the Spark Engine. I come from Source territory and angular hallways that would fit perfectly in a MVM map would be a very good start on getting used to the engine.
    edited May 2013
    Sounds cool :)

I just hope no more future updates for NS2 break this mod, i hate it when updates break mods :(
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    Sounds cool :)

I just hope no more future updates for NS2 break this mod, i hate it when updates break mods :(

Yeah, It is a cool mod. It would be such a shame to waste it because of "flow of updates"

• Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    Just keep an eye on their status progress page, i have a script checking for changes daily :P
    MvM.. I need you ;c
    If you guys really want MvM done, I'm pretty sure McGlaspie could use some coding help...
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    edited June 2013
    It sounds like this could have been fixed by the creator in a week or two but wasn't due to being partly busy and procrastinating for so long, i would be a bit ashamed to let it go on this long considering it was quite popular at the time, it should have been sorted within a reasonable time and then maintained, if you really need to then get help, the mod community should work together to help maintain the top few mods or ns2 will slowly but surely become a game which lacks variety, i know combat is one of the main reasons i keep playing, if that went then as much as i like the core game now and then, i know wouldn't play as much, it's that simple.
    edited June 2013
    It's a shame that the Gorgeous update broke it in the first place.

I do hope this gets completed one day.
    Yeah.. i miss this mod.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    McGlaspie please get it sorted, this is really starting to look bad, not just for mvm but for the ns2 modding community in general if such a popular mod simply fails and the creator can't be bothered, we only got to play it for like a month or two?, you posted saying it was coming along and then nothing, don't you feel even a little bad about it? :(