Natural Selection 2 Build 248 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited May 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageNatural Selection 2 Build 248 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

That was fast! Build 247 was released yesterday, but included some naughties. Build 248 is a quick follow up build to crush those naughties like the dirty, reprehensible bug scum they are.

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    XBox, post a bump comment to open the comment thread, and tell Siri to get to work on Build 249.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <3 that Xbox burrrrrrrrrrn :D
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    XBox, tell me more about the bots that were included in b247 but never explained or mentioned ever again.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So that's what the Xbox is good for.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Ah the quick switch defaults to pistol now thanks. I have a question though. Why does mouse wheel down go to axe? In most games mouse wheel down goes to the next weapon but in this case it goes from 1 being the rifle to 3 being the axe. Is there a way to change this?
  • dethovudethovu Join Date: 2009-06-23 Member: 67906Members
    I don't seem to be able to shoot by sticking my tongue out while wiggling my nose? Surely this is a Kinect bug.
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    edited May 2013
    Guspaz wrote: »
    XBox, tell me more about the bots that were included in b247 but never explained or mentioned ever again.

We deny all knowledge of any "bots". Bots have not, do not, and have never existed, what you saw was swamp gas..
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    That was quicker than I expected.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Thats what sh- ahh... nevermind.
    ;)

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Thats what sh- ahh... nevermind.
    ;)

Been there
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Nice, this is impressively fast. They had to find the bugs before fixing, after all.
  • ZxaberZxaber Join Date: 2010-07-29 Member: 73315Members
    Ah the quick switch defaults to pistol now thanks. I have a question though. Why does mouse wheel down go to axe? In most games mouse wheel down goes to the next weapon but in this case it goes from 1 being the rifle to 3 being the axe. Is there a way to change this?
    It's been like that from the start. Not sure why, I'd love a way to swap it too.

Currently, the only way I can do it is with a autohotkey script, but its not perfect and seems to add a tiny bit of delay.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    xbox go to pc so I can actually do something useful
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    I love the way that the Bots don't go where you tell them to.

UWE has done an excellent job of simulating real players.
    I think they're all just rookies, being new to the game and all. Unfortunately none of them have sound on, I tried to help them understand some things, but to no avail. They're all aimbots too, give em shotguns and you rule the world.

Ah well. Can't expect too much too soon I suppose.
  • angelousangelous Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184073Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    Maybe your settings? My mousewheel works as it should (scroll through the weapons/attacks)
    angelous wrote: »
    Maybe your settings? My mousewheel works as it should (scroll through the weapons/attacks)

Except that up is down and down is up.
  • woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    THANKS now I join my server :)
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!topic/uwe-server-ops/wiZ0eo1FEeA

Bernardo Carneiro 8:14 PM (1 hour ago)

I'm having issues with the ConsistencyConfig.json.
    Using the one, I receive the mesage Your game files do not match the servers. Try verifying your game cache in steam or maybe an update just came out.:
    {
    "check": [ "game_setup.xml", "*.lua", "*.fx", "*.screenfx", "*.surface_shader", "*.fxh", "*.render_setup", "*.shader_template", "*.level", "*.dds", "*.jpg", "*.png", "*.cinematic", "*.material", "*.model", "*.animation_graph", "*.polygons", "*.fev", "*.fsb" ],
    "ignore": [ "ui/*.dds", "*_view*.dds", "*_view*.material", "*_view*.model" ]
    }

When I use this one, work fine:
    {
    "check": [ "game_setup.xml" ],
    "ignore": [ "ui/*.dds", "*_view*.dds", "*_view*.material", "*_view*.model", "*.lua", "*.fx", "*.screenfx", "*.surface_shader", "*.fxh", "*.render_setup", "*.shader_template", "*.level", "*.dds", "*.jpg", "*.png", "*.cinematic", "*.material", "*.model", "*.animation_graph", "*.polygons", "*.fev", "*.fsb" ]
    }
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Scrolling down gives me a welder, makes total sense to me. Don't change it!
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'm guessing the Xbox can't run NS 2 at high settings :p.
  • InfamaniousInfamanious Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58374Members
    XBOX GRAPHICS VS PC GRAPHICS

I'll put this in lame terms considering my knowledge of coding..(zip)
    As far as i know..Coding a game for a console requires more lines of code..( i don't know the technical aspect of it , but could use a brief explanation if willing....)

The big question here is..Is it possible to optimize a game on the console that is compares to the most powerful desktop graphic cards available today?
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    so long as you did not remove yet more textures, all should be fine!
  • HalluTnHalluTn Join Date: 2010-10-19 Member: 74524Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for the fast fix!
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    and I've gone mad. Hooray.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    XBOX GRAPHICS VS PC GRAPHICS

I'll put this in lame terms considering my knowledge of coding..(zip)
    As far as i know..Coding a game for a console requires more lines of code..( i don't know the technical aspect of it , but could use a brief explanation if willing....)

The big question here is..Is it possible to optimize a game on the console that is compares to the most powerful desktop graphic cards available today?

It's not that you would need more lines of code but vastly different lines of code, depending on which console and architecture you are developing for.
    Here is an old article that explains the differences in design between a Pentium 3 PC and the PS2: http://arstechnica.com/features/2000/04/ps2vspc/

To sum it up: PCs have massive amount of data storages and small pipelines that connect those storages with each other, so you cache a lot of stuff somewhere, work on it until you are done and then push the result somewhere else.
    On the PS2, your memory is not even large enough to cache a single 32 bit texture or model. But you have massive amounts of processing bandwidth, so you have to stream data in step by step and perform operations on those little pieces of data and then stream them out again and other stuff in.

You basically have to entirely relearn the way you are programming things. From what devs say about it, developing for PS2 and PS3 is a nightmare, especially when there was only Japanese documentation available. Microsoft's console may be more accessible in that regard, but there are still architectural differences that any game engine had to cope with when porting it. I think consoles also use Big Endian encoding while PCs uses Little Endian nowadays.
  • RaketoRaketo DE Join Date: 2013-05-22 Member: 185336Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thank you so much for the kinect Integration!!! Did you guys already try that gesture where you show your bare butt to an approaching onos? Insta-kill, awesome!
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I dread to think what the gesture is for bile bombing. o0
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    EgoGamer wrote: »
    I dread to think what the gesture is for bile bombing. o0

Gives "Armory Humping" a whole new visual too! X_X
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Legend, thanks for the alt tab one. 1 happy bunny.