Question about recycling content between maps

eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I know... I know.

Last question for today - or at least last new thread with questions from me for today.

Suppose in spark, I create some groups of geometry, lights, and props that I would like to import to use in another project. Is it possible to save elements in groups that can be exported/imported from one project to another? How would one do this?

Comments

• DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    eliotmat wrote: »
    Suppose in spark, I create some groups of geometry, lights, and props that I would like to import to use in another project. Is it possible to save elements in groups that can be exported/imported from one project to another? How would one do this?

Open map A, select the geometry & props & entities you want to copy, and hit Ctrl+C or right click Copy.
    Open map B, hit ctrl+v or right click Paste, and then move everything to the correct location in your map.

When using the move tool don't forget to lock textures (bottom right lock symbol, only view-able in move tool).
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Excellent. Thanks Seraph.

I'll probably make a map for storage of portable content.
  • HypergripHypergrip Suspect Germany Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9689Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Oh how I wish there was a way to use "prefabs"...

Select a group of geometry, props and lights, hit "save prefab", enter a name, and the system would save the relative position of the element, parameters of the props, texture names and orientation, etc..
    There would be a new window to select the saved prefabs from and place them in your map just as you do with props. And you could easily share your prefabs with others by simply uploding the .prefab file(s)

This would have saved me so much time and frustration playing around in the editor. I hope they decide to put something like that in some day (but first they need to fix basic stuff like rotating a group of faces and props together screwing up the orientation of props that are not set to 1:1:1 size...)

Currently I have a sort of "junkyard" at one side of my map where I store all the stuff that I think might be used later, or just kept as a reference.
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hypergrip wrote: »
    Oh how I wish there was a way to use "prefabs"...

Select a group of geometry, props and lights, hit "save prefab", enter a name, and the system would save the relative position of the element, parameters of the props, texture names and orientation, etc..
    There would be a new window to select the saved prefabs from and place them in your map just as you do with props. And you could easily share your prefabs with others by simply uploding the .prefab file(s)

This would have saved me so much time and frustration playing around in the editor. I hope they decide to put something like that in some day (but first they need to fix basic stuff like rotating a group of faces and props together screwing up the orientation of props that are not set to 1:1:1 size...)

Currently I have a sort of "junkyard" at one side of my map where I store all the stuff that I think might be used later, or just kept as a reference.

Sounds like Little Big Planet on PS3. Now that's a game that was designed for ease of community content creation.

Lol at the junkyard. I've found myself doing that already. Hehe.
  • PandademicPandademic Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183359Members
    Amen to the junkyard. I have a series of workshop maps called ns2_ws_halls, ns2_ws_caves, ns2_ws_ceilings, etc...

I find the best way to move things between maps is to create big square faces around them to keep everyhing on grid.
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    I have junkyards too. It usually a bunch of hallway segments I plan to reuse or little sections of official maps i copied over as reference. I also have a big brightly lit cube near my junkyard with a floating platform in the middle. I use it to quickly drop a series of similar props to inspect them from all sides and see how i con combine them (for example every part of the "yellow pipe" series, every part of a vertain type of wallmod, etc.)

A prefab system would save me a lot of trouble. My junkyard is in a far away corner so it doesn't interfer with the 3 2d-views. Everytime I want to put something into or take out of the junkyard, it scrolling scrolling scrolling scrolling scrolling clicking press-z three times and then scroll again for a minute....
  • PandademicPandademic Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183359Members
    @solaris, just put everything in your junkyard into a new layer, and hide it when you don't need it. That way you can keep it close to your work without cluttering your views.