Skulk animations

durdenns2durdenns2 Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182634Members
edited May 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
Please look into reworking the skulk animations to make their movement more logical. A skulk jumping in midair and then coming in close contact with another object like a player moves the skulk very quickly so that they essentially have their feet hooked onto the object. It looks bad and makes it more difficult to track (ESPECIALLY with leap or any degree of high latency). It would be a huge benefit to the game if skulks moved more intuitively. I know I can't be the only one who thinks this.

Comments

• sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    thats how the skulk is meant to move and i like it and your the only one who wants the skulk animations change plus its a minor thing
  • durdenns2durdenns2 Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182634Members
    thats how the skulk is meant to move and i like it and your the only one who wants the skulk animations change plus its a minor thing

They're suppose to be agile and difficult to track but not because of poor animation.
    durdenns2 wrote: »

They're suppose to be agile and difficult to track but not because of poor animation.

why change something that no one notices or care about?the poor animation gets the job done, so why change it?
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited May 2013
    It's not because you didn't noticed it, that nobody noticed or don't care about it. That's why we have this topic, and others similar to this one.
    This problem is known, and has been improved "recently" if I am not wrong. And it's a hard one to fix apparently.
    Or was it fixed? A video with slow motion would be a great thing to provide durdenns2. Perhaps we don't talk about the same thing.
    I'll keep recording but here's a video that kind of gets to my point. There's no 'tracking' skulks. It's just keeping up with their jaggy, illogical movement.

http://www.twitch.tv/durdenns2/c/2248975
    http://s23.postimg.org/5zhvf58ex/output_W3hb9a.gif
    edited May 2013
    i've watched videos of people fighting skulks and i could track their movement, its a matter of skill.also it could be lag on your side or the side of the guy that killed you in the video
  • KenshikenKenshiken Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182698Members
    edited May 2013
    I am at 120+ hours at game and I didnt even notice that Skulk's move's that way.
    Did you have high ping always or what?

Anyway, gonna watch more closely now to how Skulks move, but, never have such a problems I think.
  • ShinoShino Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173316Members
    It bothers the top competitive players, and it's kinda situational (Usually have to be in very narrow corridors for it to stick out)

I know a bunch of nexzil players have been complaining about it for a very long time now.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have a 144 Hz monitor with a 1 ms refresh rate, I usually get about 120 fps at my game settings in the beginning of the game and I only play on servers with a low ping and 100% performance. This is a very noticeable problem and just like the video he posted the skulks animation is not good. It doesn't come down to skill like sHawke seems to think, but just a lack of quality in the animation. And honestly sHawke, I doubt you have better tracking skill than Durden. Keep in mind this is only noticeable when playing against decent skulks... obviously the ground skulking animation is fine and good, but as soon as you have a skulk that is at least good enough to use walls you're S.O.L. This is coming from someone with 800+ hours in-game. It makes tracking skill not even useful and practically forces you to spray and pray. This needs to be fixed, because it honestly makes the game not enjoyable when you should have easily killed a skulk but couldn't because the jerky movement mechanic was impossible to track.
    I have a 144 Hz monitor with a 1 ms refresh rate, I usually get about 120 fps at my game settings in the beginning of the game and I only play on servers with a low ping and 100% performance. This is a very noticeable problem and just like the video he posted the skulks animation is not good. It doesn't come down to skill like sHawke seems to think, but just a lack of quality in the animation. And honestly sHawke, I doubt you have better tracking skill than Durden. Keep in mind this is only noticeable when playing against decent skulks... obviously the ground skulking animation is fine and good, but as soon as you have a skulk that is at least good enough to use walls you're S.O.L. This is coming from someone with 800+ hours in-game. It makes tracking skill not even useful and practically forces you to spray and pray. This needs to be fixed, because it honestly makes the game not enjoyable when you should have easily killed a skulk but couldn't because the jerky movement mechanic was impossible to track.

Yes! I couldn't have said it better myself. The skulk is very agile and it's obvious to see why it is very difficult to animate. But even still I think a lot of improvements could be made to better accommodate logical player movement.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    bump for importance...
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I can agree with this thread, there has always been skulk issues visually for me
    http://www.twitch.tv/l2pns2/b/403677103 there's a portion in here where derriere goes upside down and keeps jumping between the walls. You can actually keep going upside down infinitely if you do it right.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow

[10:56:23 PM] To Chud Haus: http://www.twitch.tv/l2pns2/b/403677103

[10:56:38 PM] To Chud Haus: http://www.twitch.tv/l2pns2/b/403676763

very short segments but a very retarded animation, the 2nd one is towards the end when its barely rendering the textures but you can see the skulk is upside down

could easily repro more if needed