Player-specific stats on NS2 Stats: needs to be opt-in

RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited May 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Edit:

Can someone from ns2stats please pm me?

Mods please lock this thread it's been derailed in the most unconstructive of manners. Also please delete the info about me that robotix posted! Thanks.

Comments

• |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Very helpful, thanks strofix.

In addition to the argument about data... I remember in BF2 there was no way to avoid the stats being collected about you. Back in those days I was very much fixated on always improving my K:D ratio on the rankings, and would even quit out games where we were getting stomped as it would mean I didn't improve my overall KDR for that day's gaming.

I've grown up since those days, but there is still an addictive personality element that I have, and I know others have it too, and stats sites absolutely do NOT help there. IMO one of the great things about NS2 is that it doesn't have global stat collection and persistence. You can muck about, try silly things without fear of your personal K:D being permanently marred by those 3 deaths you got doing something silly one evening with mates.

The opt-in system is the only way to make these stats work, IMO. People who use them can still use them completely unhindered. People who actively don't want them (I am one and I know at least 3 more on my steam friends list), don't have to have them.
    And no, 'don't look at them' doesn't work - at least it didn't for me in BF2. I avoided the bf2stats for over a year, but one drunken night I looked at it, and got hooked on always improving my stats thereafter.

(PS yes I realise this post has probably negated any chance I ever had of joining a clan).
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    It's optional. You can now see which servers use NS2Stats. If you're not comfortable with data being stored, you might want to consider not using those servers.

During normal internet usage, a lot of data gets stored in a lot of places. Personally, I don't mind. If you're a bit more concerned about it, however, I recommend using a proxy. That makes sure that your online data is very difficult to relate to your physical location and other personal info.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Angelusz wrote: »
    It's optional. You can now see which servers use NS2Stats. If you're not comfortable with data being stored, you might want to consider not using those servers.

During normal internet usage, a lot of data gets stored in a lot of places. Personally, I don't mind. If you're a bit more concerned about it, however, I recommend using a proxy. That makes sure that your online data is very difficult to relate to your physical location and other personal info.

For me it's not about personal info in that way, though at least one of my friends is more bothered about that. Also, it's absolutely not practical to have a list of NS2stats enabled servers open while browsing the server list for a server with 3+ slots free for you and your mates to join. Just a simple check box on NS2 stats once you connect with your steam browser that sets a flag in the database: 'Consented' would do the trick. That would be far less effort than requiring people to avoid some servers (seemingly at random), and would achieve everything I'm asking for. It's a tiny tiny bit of code, really...
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Wow,

you must be an amazing drunk Troll if you think people take the time to stalk you... Unless your top 10 on NS2STATs (and if your playing drunk your prob not) no one cares about you (unless your cheating or trolling) in which case you should be more worried about NS2Ban....

Fun thing is that by playing on their server your agreeing to be subject to whatever monitoring they want... Hey Fun other fact forums and most websites track you as well, they keep trake of what you search what you like all kinds of fun things that get put in a database...

So put on your tin foil hat, cut the hard line to your house, and buy some chickens cause everyone is watch you!
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    who is this guy, i want to search him on ns2stats for personal informationzzzz and stalk him 4 lyf
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    It's not because a lot of people are doing a bad thing that we should let it go for all that. That's a really stupid reasoning.

A proxy or anything like that won't change a thing for NS2, and I understand the need for that functionality.
    It wouldn't be that hard, even if you had to configure it yourself and make that choice instead of being it by default. NS2stats already have the Steam signin and a "My account" page. Just add an option for whoever wants to anonymize/hide their page, easy.
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    edited May 2013
    *Snip* No need for extra trolling, thanks. - Angelusz
    I would accept the ability to opt out, but would prefer an opt in.

Fyi i don't believe anyone cares for a second what my scores are, and you have misunderstood completely what this us about
    it's about his lively hood!
    @robotix, remove that now please. You're trolling.
    @nezz you don't get it. That's fine, but don't bother posting if you have no clue.
    Roobubba wrote: »

How so? I didn't post any personal information about you; just your rankings and stats.
    Robotix wrote: »

How so? I didn't post any personal information about you; just your rankings and stats.

You know very well that you're just trolling. Remove it now.
    Got his name off his steam page guys. Facebook page coming up soon.

You and I must have different definitions of trolling...

As for actual advice, all I can say is don't play on NS2Stats servers. I personally like NS2Stats and don't see the problem with it keeping stats and information on your NS2 history.
    Sigh, fine. If you must know, i started this thread after a friend, who shall remain nameless, rage quit for precisely this reason.
    Sometimes you want to kick back and relax, and not worry about bad games. He had a couple of bad games, and happened on ns2 stats coincidentally at the same time. I personally never look at ns2 stats, because i know its data are from only a tiny fraction of my games, but from my bf2 days it's still a concern about ongoing stat collection. I don't want to see my own stats. The only way to make that happen is to allow me the option to turn them off (or opt in).
    Oh wow, its a whole new level of depravity.
    I thought it was bad enough when people who thought they were good cared enough about stats to play on servers that record them. Now we apparently have players that are bad, yet care enough about the game and stats to not want their badness to be recorded, yet don't care enough to just get good at the game.

You and I must have different definitions of trolling
    In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /ˈtroʊl/,/ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1]extraneous, or off-topicmessages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3]

The key words here are provoking and disrupting. Posting my details is off topic, and is done only to cause offence and grief.

Please remove it now. 3rd time of asking.

I don't want to stop you viewing your stats. Please for God's sake READ what I wrote if you're going to post in response.
    edited May 2013
    |strofix| wrote: »
    Oh wow, its a whole new level of depravity.
    I thought it was bad enough when people who thought they were good cared enough about stats to play on servers that record them. Now we apparently have players that are bad, yet care enough about the game and stats to not want their badness to be recorded, yet don't care enough to just get good at the game.

Actually I'm quite happy with how my game has been improving over the last couple of months, thanks. Feel free to take a look through my screenshots on my steam page, got a few decent scores in gathers in there along with the usual pub stuff.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    OH NO what shall anyone ever do with your game names and k/d!

Your privacy has been so violated!

I didn't expect everyone to understand, it is quite a difficult concept, I know. I just ask that if you don't understand, don't bother posting here this nonsense which is side tracking the thread.
    In fact this can be much better dealt with in direct discussion with someone from ns2 stats...

Mods, please remove the data about me that robotix posted, and lock this thread.

Can someone from ns2stats please make themselves known to me by PM?

I must admit I hadn't expected quite such a childish response here, but hey, that's the internet!
    edited May 2013
    YOU SHALL NOT PASS, YOU HAD ONE BAD PUB GAME OF NS2 at 03:49am on the 15/3/2015. I HAVE ZEE PROOF! You think anyone really gives a fuck about ns2stats of public games... Or of some random pub hero who sucks @ ns2 anyway?

I will neck myself if this guy posts again.
    nezz wrote: »
    YOU SHALL NOT PASS, YOU HAD ONE BAD PUB GAME OF NS2 at 03:49am on the 15/3/2015. I HAVE ZEE PROOF! You think anyone really gives a fuck about ns2stats of public games... moreso or some random pub hero who sucks @ ns2 anyway?

neck me if this guy posts again.

I told you already, don't post if you don't understand. You clearly have no clue...
    edited May 2013
    i understand what your saying, IT is the most stupidest thing i've ever heard

Follow the quick 3 step guide to success;
    1. uninstall ns2
    2. delete steam
    3. de-activate your unknown world account.

Do this ASAP

Alternatively,

Play on servers that don't have NS2STATS running publicly, there's plenty of options for your "mate".

edited May 2013
    Seriously?

I actually posted this on behalf of a friend, which i wrote above but you failed to read.
    I don't care what anyone thinks about me, which I wrote above but you failed to read.
    I do not want to stop anyone else looking at their stats.

If you actually read what was written, you might have got closer to understanding. As it is, you have derailed this thread so far away from what it is actually about that I've had to ask to have it locked. So thanks for that.
    edited May 2013
    nezz wrote: »
    i understand what your saying, IT is the most stupidest thing i've ever heard

Follow the quick 3 step guide to success;
    1. uninstall ns2
    2. delete steam
    3. de-activate your unknown world account.

Do this ASAP

Alternatively,

Play on servers that don't have NS2STATS running publicly, there's plenty of options for your "mate".

why limit the servers i can play on, rather than simply flag me as 'do not show data on ns2stats.org'? My solution is a far better, simpler, more elegant and more efficient one.

What you just said is that allowing people to opt out (or opt in) to ns2 stats is the stupidest thing you ever heard.
    Really?!
    edited May 2013
    1 person whinges and you expect instant change? come on mate, your the minority. NO-ONE has a issue with this apart from you. Why should they have to invest time to make a individual happy.

This discussion has been closed.