Saved res from previous round (bug)

RippsyRippsy Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179921Members
So I joined a server ([FR] Clan Fight), the game was over (aliens won) we started a new round, and about 4 minutes in one of the Alien players went Onos. Both teams baffled, from what they explained vaguely in French the server somehow/somewhy? Saved the players res from the previous round!

Has anyone seen this bug anywhere else?

Comments

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    It's an old bug that I don't think was ever fixed since no one can recreate it.
  • RippsyRippsy Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179921Members
    I've seen it just this once in over 300hr's of play! Madness!
  • ijustpwnedu96ijustpwnedu96 Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182320Members
    I've had many rounds where scores from the previous round would stay in the next round. So someone ended up with 100+ kills at the end of the 2nd game.
  • CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    It probably has to do with disconnectedPlayerResources which is supposed to get cleared at the beginning of a new round.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I started with 0 res once, it sucked.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    edited May 2013
    It was easy to re-create and it has gotta be one of a large reason why the scores were reset on round beginning instead of round end.

The way you did it before was save up whatever amount of res you had and just before killing the CC/last marine disconnect from the server, at this point the server knows you have 50-70 res and will save it for however long that disconnect protection lasts for, round finishes while you're DC, you were safe to rejoin RR and join aliens with 50-70 pres in the bank, you could just continuously type retry into the console and spend 1-2 mins reconnecting to ensure you didn't lose a spot and the next round had already started, easily re creatable.

Now the score/pres is reset on round beginning so it's a little tougher, you kind of want to avoid the round end but it's not 100% but you definitely want to avoid the round beginning and reset-ing all res, I don't think I've actually seen since the change on score reset to beginning of round, it's certainly a lot harder since it can take 1-2 mins most rounds just to find a comm but I'd put money on that method still working if you knew people were gunning for comm on both sides causing the rounds to start quickly and could get a spot on aliens twice in a row.

edit:words.
  • RippsyRippsy Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179921Members
    Xao, interesting I can easily test that this evening with a friend. I'm not sure I recall this guy d/c'ing and rejoining late in the round though. (That said I wasn't that much attention to him until he went Onos!)
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Xao wrote: »
    It was easy to re-create and it has gotta be one of a large reason why the scores were reset on round beginning instead of round end.

The way you did it before was save up whatever amount of res you had and just before killing the CC/last marine disconnect from the server, at this point the server knows you have 50-70 res and will save it for however long that disconnect protection lasts for, round finishes while you're DC, you were safe to rejoin RR and join aliens with 50-70 pres in the bank, you could just continuously type retry into the console and spend 1-2 mins reconnecting to ensure you didn't lose a spot and the next round had already started, easily re creatable.

Now the score/pres is reset on round beginning so it's a little tougher, you kind of want to avoid the round end but it's not 100% but you definitely want to avoid the round beginning and reset-ing all res, I don't think I've actually seen since the change on score reset to beginning of round, it's certainly a lot harder since it can take 1-2 mins most rounds just to find a comm but I'd put money on that method still working if you knew people were gunning for comm on both sides causing the rounds to start quickly and could get a spot on aliens twice in a row.

edit:words.

I've managed to repro it a couple of times with steps close to the ones you described. This was before the res reset change though.
  • TyrsisTyrsis Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8804Members
    Looking at the lua, on round reset all saved res is reset. I wonder if this is a mod problem and not a base game problem? As some mods may have overridden that part of the lua. Which mods were being used? Unless somehow a game is starting without ever having a kGameState.Started game state which seems impossible.

Line 130 of NSGamerules.lua:
    // Reset disconnected player resources when a game starts to prevent shenanigans.
    self.disconnectedPlayerResources = { }
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have given steps on how to reproduce this before... and the things that people have suggested up until now are incorrect.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    I started with 0 res once, it sucked.

I started with 53 once. Destroyed marines as a 0 minute Fade. It was great :D
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @xdragon has provided working repro steps. We haven't been able to nail it down in the past. I'll do what I can to see that it gets developer exposure asap.

Please do not publicly provide reproduction steps, for this or anything that could be an exploit. Feel free to pm or email a pt or dev, and of course I'm typically responsive and always available. ;-)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @IronHorse: no rest for the wicked?! You're back online it seems...!

There is no blaze known to humanity that can separate our FeEquestrian from his naturally selected destiny!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2013
    @roobubba Lol.. Using my cell; need a distraction. :-P