Need Help Collecting Questions for Interview!

RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
Heeellooo NS2-Lovers!

Well - do I have a treat for you!

I have just confirmed today that I will be doing a live interview on my Twitch channel with Brian Cronin - lead programmer for UWE - this Saturday at 10am PDT/7pm CEST.

I would like to very much source questions from the community, so this is what I am asking:

- Please submit your question to this thread. Topics must surround NS2 - loosely. What I mean by that is if you want to know how or where he learned to program, that's fine. But questions asking him if he's been sky-diving, not fine. :) Keeping it around NS2 would be safer. If your question is used, you will be mentioned as the submitter during the cast.

I have a couple of days to collect - so please please do me a favor and post anything you would like me to ask or topics to cover and I will do my best to fit it in!

Thanks all!

Comments

• draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    How many copies of the game had sold ;P

Just kind of curious, not a real designer question though.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Does the programmer make the beard or the beard make the programmer?
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Does the programmer make the beard or the beard make the programmer?

lol that one will definitely make it in...
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    What's the current state of balance according to the Overlord SparkMonitor?

How many cups of coffee does it take to keep NS2 development running? (Him individually and then across the whole team. Who drinks the most?)
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    What have you been working on most recently/last couple of days?

• IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Are there any plans to create proper documentation and add additional comments to the LUA to help foster the modding community in the near-ish future?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    Some questions about biodome would be appreciated. What questions I am not sure. How is the dx11 Opengl development coming along? The talked about it in a blog post and the information probably wont change... but maybe some general questions about the future of NSL. Are any features from recent mod jam going to make it in?

I just through out ideas there, but the best question I can think of is how long are they going to support ns2 100%? Do they have any ideas for new games yet?
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    How goes progress on small, mainly cosmetic things like female marines?
    Any plans to keep improving aspects around the steam workshop?

Not sure if those are good questions :P
    edited May 2013
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I imagine that, after NS2 is pretty much running smoothly, the idea of creating a new game may have floated around the office. If so, is the consensus to stick to the NS universe or are you eager to branch out into new IP?

Basically I'm waiting for the Mass Effect of Natural Selection. Dat Gorge ass.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    How is the development of SABOT going along?
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Why choose Lua for app level scripting? Was Python (or another language) considered?

What are the limitations of the Spark engine in terms of modding? How far could it be taken? When NS1 came out for HL1 I was amazed at what had been done with the engine - is there the same kind of scope for radically different mods in Spark / NS2?

• FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Is there any hope for getting big perfomance improvements like 10+ fps?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2013
    I still have no answer on this one:

How many Skulks skulk skulls*, when a Lerk lorks on a clorf?

Not a typo dammit :P
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Wow! What an awesome response so far! Thanks folks! These are great! Keep em coming! :)
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2013
    1) Come back wins have always been a special thing in NS1 and NS2, they often are the games people remember the most. In general when your team starts to loose you tend to try harder in order to win. Does he feel auto concede is ruining the drive people have to attempt a comeback win? If so what plans are there (if any) to change how auto concede is implemented.

2) When teams start to loose people tend to quit. When people quit auto balance kicks in and lengthens the spawn period substantially for any one that dies on the other team and gives them a chance to switch teams to spawn. This works great early to mid game but late game when people are more likely to quit this system prevents the winning team from finishing off the other team. Very few people switch to the loosing team they just spent 30 minutes trying to beat so you get people sitting in spawn que for long periods of time. Meanwhile the winning team's alive players are short on numbers compared to before and it makes it harder to finish the other team off. Does he feel auto balance is working as intended? (perhaps a shorter worded version of this :D)
    I'd say those questions are probably better suited for Sewlek.
    Thanks all so far for this. I will be putting together the final list tomorrow so anyone else that has more questions to ask, fire away!

Really appreciate the help! :)
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Q: Do you guys even test this game before you release a patch?!
    Q: Where's the changelog?!
    edited May 2013

Why is there "NS2 Playtester" next to your name.
  • TharosTharos Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175439Members
    What is the Predict VM doing exactly ?
  • PampelmusePampelmuse Join Date: 2005-04-06 Member: 47641Members
    Res wrote: »

Why is there "NS2 Playtester" next to your name.

And why don't you get the irony :-)

Question regarding the funding of uwe:
    Ns2 is a "one-time seller", once a customer buys the game, you as developers will most likely not gain any more profit from this single person.
    Now, if you sold some kind of optional content, like character skins, wouldn't that help for future plans?

I think of killing floor, where the game itself is 4years old but still generates some income due to tons of custom models.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    To add to @Pampelmuse's question, (I've wrote what I'm about to say before, but to reiterate), given how well the free weekend went have UWE considered making any aspect of NS2 free to play to attract more people?
    For example, put the Combat mod up on Steam as F2P (with the author's blessing) with the option to purchase cosmetic unlocks or upgrade to the full game.

[ @RedDog , At the risk of this turning into a 'pimp my suggestion' thread just ask and I'll remove this post]
  • MindstormMindstorm Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175356Members
    Questions related to Brians work:
    -If you could have done something different from the beginning of the NS2 development what would it be? And why?
    -Will you "try" to address issues like view-range, lua performance, map floors in this version of the spark engine or will it be a spark engine v2 something?
    -How many hours is an average week of work mean at UWE. Is it the normal (?) 40 or way more? And do you feel as if it "pays off" (aka do you have a dream job :D ).
    -What is your opinion on Open Source and UWE. You've released Decoda as opensource, but from a business point of perspective this is rather "od" isn't it?

More general questions:
    -How long are you guys intending to keep on "supporting" the game (developing patches). Will it be more of a "we'll see what happens" or is there all ready a roadmap?
    -What kind of things can we except on marketing for the next few months. We just had the awesome ESNL finals in Germany, what now?
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Realistically how much more performance gain can we expect and in what time frame would it look at being delivered?

Loaded question I know but if the shit is the same by August this game will be a ghost town for all except EU at any level of play.
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    will you continue to work on "la fauche"/"the heist" in your sparetime? (if you even have sparetime)

chance of a ns2-lua wiki? (its hard for someone who hasent writen the code to find out the dependencies between the code-files, where a function is defined, where it gets called from, where it gets its variables from, etc.)
  • bongofishbongofish Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19893Members
    How close have you gotten the game to your original vision?

Was there any part of your original concept that has proved impossible to implement?

Have you considered expanding the NS universe with more games?
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    What is the progress on Linux servers, and how goes progress on making spark compatible with OpenGL
  • ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2013
    my Questions are:

when is UWE trying to fix the delay in netcode
    and what about huge incoming performance increases to make this game playable on public :P
    + Linuxservers
    + what about new game features like guns or lifeforms
    Holy cow. Thanks guys.

Will go through the questions tonight and make a final list.