Shine Admin Mod?

ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited July 2013 in Modding
It looks like a fully built admin mod: https://github.com/Person8880/Shine/wiki
Also has a Steam Workshop page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=117887554

Anyone have any more details on it? I can't seem to find anything on these forums about it (ninja admin mod?)

Edit: For anyone perusing this thread, the mod is made by @PERSON8880, not me. You should direct any specific questions to him.

Comments

• BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited April 2013
    We use it on the Ziegenfarmen. It offers some neat features like a Gui based votemenu for example. The plugin interface is easy to understand and it comes with a lot of useful functions.

Definitely a well made admin mod.

The creator (person8880) is also very helpful, in case you have any questions about modding / writing plugins.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited April 2013
    I've been using it on my server for the last 4 days, simple to administer and very very powerful.

Developer is quick to reply to questions and requests also, amazing stuff.

I only found out about it because someone in the OAG TS mentioned it although it does come up if you search for 'admin' under the workshop :P
  • Person8880Person8880 Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177167Members, Squad Five Blue
    Heh, you got me. I wasn't going to post about it until I had 100% completed everything I had set out to do with it (the last thing on my original list is a GUI administration menu which I've yet to complete).
    Person8880 wrote: »
    Heh, you got me. I wasn't going to post about it until I had 100% completed everything I had set out to do with it (the last thing on my original list is a GUI administration menu which I've yet to complete).
    Sounds epic.

Thanks for all the hard work, it's much appreciated!

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Its nice that more admins using this mod now.
    In that moment i found the 1st workshoprelease i saw the potential of this mod.

Thats why i helped person8880 over last 4 month to increase the features and reported every bug i found.

All i can say is:
    Keep up the good work and i like your straight and fast way to fix/implement things.
  • TechnIckSTechnIckS Join Date: 2007-01-14 Member: 59616Members
    you and Dragon should work together instead of competing with each other. I think this would make both mods together EPIC!
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Reminds me of Sourcemod a lot.

Is it possible to add command user targeting similar to how it works in SM? I mean that is a user has a name "abc12342", is it possible to type sh_kick bc123?
    It compares the string you type with every player name connected to the server and applies the command to the user who has the most similar name.

... If only NS2 had a proper chat system, where you can scroll up the previous messages and copy usernames and messages.

Looks like you've done a seriously good job on this, the wiki and voting systems look great.

edit: Tried loading it onto a server with NS2Stats, the votes wouldn't work for surrender or rtv - it just said that a vote couldn't be started at this time.

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    @Person8880
    Ah ok. Sorry to jump the gun then. I was just surprised that I seemed to have missed a fully developed admin mod as I try to keep up with the major server mods in NS2.

There are lots of awesome goodies in it, but I was wondering if you'd be interested in adding one more feature. Specifically, the ability to use a shared ban and/or admin.json file between multiple servers either on the same machine or in different locations (e.g. be able to specify a shared directory or url that contains my serveradmin.json and bannedplayer.json text).

Currently, I have to choose whether to use different config files for each server and have to manually update each admin/ban file or lose that ability so I only have one file location to manage. If you included this I would use Shine in a heartbeat.

Edit: Thinking about it more, it'd also be nice if it could work with both the in-game and webadmin banning systems (e.g. if I ban via the webadmin on any server, it includes it in the shared ban list).

Double Edit: Just noticed the server switch plugin which would be awesome for comp play (as international gameplay rules usually involve a server switch to allow the marine team to have the favorable ping). Can you add the ability to specify a password? Also, if you need help figuring out how to interface with the webadmin, speak with @devicenull.

Triple Edit: Vote Random/Vote Scramble is awesome, but I'd actually prefer a combo of the two that worked like:
    • Randoms the teams at the start of the game for X period of time (like the current Vote Random)
    • Where possible, randoms the teams based on the score of the previous round (e.g. like Vote Scramble except before the round, people who just join the server are shuffled randomly)
    What would be even better is if you could tie the randoming into the Elo rating in ns2stats. I guess what I'm really looking for are some randoming options such as
    Option 1 = "Dumb" Random, i.e. distributes players without accounting for skill
    Option 2 = "Score-smart" Random, i.e. distributes players based on previous round scores
    Option 3 = "Elo-smart" Random, i.e. distributes players based on ns2stats Elo rating
    Option 4 = "Hybrid-smart" Random, i.e. first distributes players based on ns2stats Elo rating, then score for those without a ns2stats Elo rating, and then randomly if no ns2stats Elo rating or previous round score
  • Person8880Person8880 Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177167Members, Squad Five Blue
    @wireaudio
    I would like to, but there's a rather large style difference between the way I work in Lua and the way xDragon and other NS2 modders do. I'm not sure how compatible the styles would be when working together, there would have to be an agreed format/framework.

@Jekt
    The targeting system is heavily influenced by the functionality of Sourcemod's and already works as you describe. Partial names are parsed and matched to a player, so sh_kick bc123 would indeed kick abc12342. There's team targeting, group targeting, all player targeting etc. There's a page on the wiki about player targeting syntax.

Also, funny you mention the chat system. I planned to overhaul it with a chat box once I had completed a GUI framework (which is still in progress), although perhaps this should be left to UWE to do, as it's a rather fundamental part of the game.

As for your issues with NS2Stats, those messages should mean there's either not enough players or the round hasn't lasted long enough yet. If there were enough people/the round had passed the needed time, then there's something wrong and I'll see if I can find the problem.

@ScardyBob
    Remote bans is extremely easy to add, I just wasn't sure how people would like it to work. If you are ok with it just pulling a .json file from the web then I can implement that.

Web admin banning/importing is possible, I'd have to spend some time fiddling with it.

I haven't touched the server switch plugin since I started the mod (last December). I can see about improving it and allowing passwords to be specified.

Thank you for the feedback, now I have to find time to work on it!
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    @Person8880
    Ah ok. Sorry to jump the gun then. I was just surprised that I seemed to have missed a fully developed admin mod as I try to keep up with the major server mods in NS2.

There are lots of awesome goodies in it, but I was wondering if you'd be interested in adding one more feature. Specifically, the ability to use a shared ban and/or admin.json file between multiple servers either on the same machine or in different locations (e.g. be able to specify a shared directory or url that contains my serveradmin.json and bannedplayer.json text).

Currently, I have to choose whether to use different config files for each server and have to manually update each admin/ban file or lose that ability so I only have one file location to manage. If you included this I would use Shine in a heartbeat.

Edit: Thinking about it more, it'd also be nice if it could work with both the in-game and webadmin banning systems (e.g. if I ban via the webadmin on any server, it includes it in the shared ban list).

Double Edit: Just noticed the server switch plugin which would be awesome for comp play (as international gameplay rules usually involve a server switch to allow the marine team to have the favorable ping). Can you add the ability to specify a password? Also, if you need help figuring out how to interface with the webadmin, speak with @devicenull.

Triple Edit: Vote Random/Vote Scramble is awesome, but I'd actually prefer a combo of the two that worked like:
    • Randoms the teams at the start of the game for X period of time (like the current Vote Random)
    • Where possible, randoms the teams based on the score of the previous round (e.g. like Vote Scramble except before the round, people who just join the server are shuffled randomly)
    What would be even better is if you could tie the randoming into the Elo rating in ns2stats. I guess what I'm really looking for are some randoming options such as
    Option 1 = "Dumb" Random, i.e. distributes players without accounting for skill
    Option 2 = "Score-smart" Random, i.e. distributes players based on previous round scores
    Option 3 = "Elo-smart" Random, i.e. distributes players based on ns2stats Elo rating
    Option 4 = "Hybrid-smart" Random, i.e. first distributes players based on ns2stats Elo rating, then score for those without a ns2stats Elo rating, and then randomly if no ns2stats Elo rating or previous round score

I don't know about that... depending on ns2stats isnt a great idea imo...

Agreed. It's getting harder and harder to find time for anything...

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    An overhauled chat system would be incredible.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    @ScardyBob
    Remote bans is extremely easy to add, I just wasn't sure how people would like it to work. If you are ok with it just pulling a .json file from the web then I can implement that.

Web admin banning/importing is possible, I'd have to spend some time fiddling with it.

I haven't touched the server switch plugin since I started the mod (last December). I can see about improving it and allowing passwords to be specified.

I figured that would be the easiest method and I could just host a json on a webserver (or even dropbox if I can find a way to give it write access). As I have at any given time 16-20 servers I'm trying to synchronize admin access and ban lists, any mod that can allow me to do that quickly is a godsend.

Edit: I would also like both remove bans and remove server access listing (e.g. I can host serveradmin.json on a webserver and share it amongst several servers). Those are the two main config files that I'd like to have shared between multiple servers.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    edited April 2013
    An excellent admin mod. It's also compatible with Better NS2, HBZ runs them both as well as NS2Stats compiled into and published as one mod which is pretty great.

What would be even better is if you could tie the randoming into the Elo rating in ns2stats. I guess what I'm really looking for are some randoming options such as:
    I'm planning to, or at least playing with the idea of adding this to Shine so I may or may not, when I have the time. It seems better suited for it than adding it to Better NS2 which I would usually do, as it would overlap a bit and I like Shine.
    edited April 2013
    Totally agree, searched through the whole workshop and the only mods i've found worth hosting are:

Shine Admin
    Better NS2
    NS2 Stats
    NS2 Bans

All the other mods are just too huge to host, even a Marine colour change is like 4mb, crazy.
    Also, bawNg is making a nice plugin interface called SparkMod. Would be great if these mods are compatible.

Here's some initial documentation: https://github.com/IntoxicatedGaming/SparkMod/wiki/Introduction
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    Totally agree, searched through the whole workshop and the only mods i've found worth hosting are:

Shine Admin
    Better NS2
    NS2 Stats
    NS2 Bans

All the other mods are just too huge to host, even a Marine colour change is like 4mb, crazy.

Something wrong w/ DAK Admin? It's great for all the functionality it has. Is there a way for shine to compliment it? I feel that i want to use features from both! Really!
    TechnIckS wrote: »

Shine Admin
    Better NS2
    NS2 Stats
    NS2 Bans

Something wrong w/ DAK Admin? It's great for all the functionality it has. Is there a way for shine to compliment it? I feel that i want to use features from both! Really!
    Nothing wrong with DAK, it has some amazing features such as reserved slots, the pause plugin, and tournament mode. However, Shine has some pretty cool features such as a graphical MOTD, Server Switch plugin, (future) graphical admin menu, and (future) ban/admin list sharing. I kind of wish I could run both.
    edited May 2013
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    TechnIckS wrote: »

Shine Admin
    Better NS2
    NS2 Stats
    NS2 Bans

Nothing wrong with DAK, it has some amazing features such as reserved slots, the pause plugin, and tournament mode. However, Shine has some pretty cool features such as a graphical MOTD, Server Switch plugin, (future) graphical admin menu, and (future) ban/admin list sharing. I kind of wish I could run both.

I couldn't of said it any better :)

I've tried both, i just like Shine a lot better, plus Shine has the readyroom plugin which stops people hanging around in the waiting room / spectator mode which i feel is vital to the fairness of any server.

I would love to see some features of DAK added to Shine such the ability to change of team names, concede weighing and reserved slots (especially since 32 player servers will eventually become a possibility if the game becomes optimised enough).
    @Iwf
    If you made an ELO plugin it would certainly save me some time! If you do decide to do it, I'd be happy to merge it into the mod as standard.

@ScardyBob
    It already supports remote users. The base config options "GetUsersFromWeb" and "UsersURL" provide this. It can read the stock NS2 format and convert it in memory to my format so there'd be no need to change the file (other than command names). Web synced bans are coming.

As for SparkMod, everything it does for plugins (that I can see) Shine already has in a way I prefer to use. NS2 modders in general have a very UWE influenced design style, whereas I come from modding Garry's Mod and so use a style influenced by how things work there.

Concerning reserved slots, this is not something I want to make until UWE provide a proper client connect hook where I can immediately refuse the connection before they start loading. The kicking after load method is infuriating for players that end up on the server with no reserved slot access and the password method is serviceable but not optimal.

I understand that having two admin mods with differing features can be annoying when you want both. I'd be happy to collaborate with xDragon and others to make one universal admin mod, but I wouldn't want to give up everything I'd worked on and I don't think xDragon would either.
    edited May 2013
    My planned implementation of the reserved slots function would be to set the server as 32 player but only allow 24 public players to join and reserve the additional slots for admin.

Would most likely need a plugin for this to work.

I think it's unfair to kick people just for the admins to get in.

Of course i'm going to have to wait until the developers optimise the game a lot more as 24 is the max at the moment and even then that's frowned upon by hosting servers.

Hey person, did you get a chance to see my feedback on the readyroom plugin?

I left it on the Steam comments a few days ago, just one small issue to resolve when you have the time!

Cheers

edited May 2013
    Have you tried the latest version? I'm pretty sure I fixed the concede vote issue and disabling spectate moves the player onto a random team instead of just telling them it's disabled.

What you describe is exactly how I would want reserved slots to work, but it's not possible right now. UWE need to add hidden player slots and the ability to refuse connection on join like Source has with sv_visiblemaxplayers and the player_connect event.
  • FirewokerFirewoker Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183775Members
    Or you can just set a password when the server reach 24 players...
    edited May 2013
    Have you tried the latest version? I'm pretty sure I fixed the concede vote issue and disabling spectate moves the player onto a random team instead of just telling them it's disabled.

What you describe is exactly how I would want reserved slots to work, but it's not possible right now. UWE need to add hidden player slots and the ability to refuse connection on join like Source has with sv_visiblemaxplayers and the player_connect event.
    I wasn't aware you had read my comments and updated, i will test the update tonight when i get home, cheers :)

In regards to invisible player slots, do you know if this feature has been requested officially yet?
    edited May 2013
    Firewoker wrote: »
    Or you can just set a password when the server reach 24 players...
    That sounds like a good idea!
    @Firewoker
    I mentioned that already as a possibility. It's a sub-optimal method though.

I'm sure people have asked UWE many times already for proper connection control in Lua and it would be a far better method than passing round a password to people who may or may not tell others it and then ruin the 'reserved' nature of the slots entirely.
    As for SparkMod, everything it does for plugins (that I can see) Shine already has in a way I prefer to use. NS2 modders in general have a very UWE influenced design style, whereas I come from modding Garry's Mod and so use a style influenced by how things work there.
    Ah ok. I'm just concerned about compatibility issues between the big server-side mods (e.g. admin mods, stats mod, ban mods, etc). A SparkMod common base seems like a decent way to get around those issues.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    That is true and I am glad that with SparkMod someone is finally trying to make a system where we can have compatible code base between mods. This is one of the big reasons for the modding success in source brought about by sourcemod. Then you have these admin mods cross comparable where users can run plugins from a variety of developers.
    That's not a fair comparison. 'SparkMod' is trying to create a plugin framework, something many people including myself have already done for themselves and will continue to improve and extend. Sourcemod created an entire event driven scripting language, Sourcepawn, to make plugin developing much easier than having to use C++ server modules.

There's no need (in my opinion) for a centralised framework, Lua is already easy to use to extend the game. Compatible code between mods is just a case of using hooking, which when done correctly, can allow any number of mods to hook the same functions.

Shine can already be extended by anyone that wants to, its plugin framework is documented and I have documented some of the main goodies for developers from it.
  • JCDJCD Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks like newest upgrade is bugged afk ejects commanders that are active :o