246 has rendered ns2 unplayable for me. (failed consistency check)

IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
edited April 2013 in Technical Support
Reinstalling the game is not an option as my internet isn't fast enough for that to be realistic.

Here is a screenshot of the issue.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198001867643/screenshot/1083390798452865157

I got the same issue on every single server pre b246 that had extended consistency checking. So I played on non extended servers. Since every server is not extended by default, i cannot play.

I have deleted all mods in my mod directory and unsubbed and deleted them again if they had reappeared... this is not working.

Of course I have verified the integrity of my game cache, this is not solving the problem either.

So, I'm kind of grumpy at the moment.

oh and, to avoid AMD adding rendering bugs into future patches, here's my system info:

Memory: 8GB DDR3 at 1333mhz
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 at 3.3GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7970 with boost.

Comments

• rwsrws Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177696Members
    Have you tried deleting the whole workshop folder completely?
    Have you tried deleting the cache to let the shaders recompile?
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    edited April 2013
    @rws did both of those just then, no dice :(

addition: deleting the entire natural selection 2 folder from the appdata folder reset all my graphics settings and resulted in a very slow load(compiling stuff I guess). Still getting the problem.
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited April 2013
    strange.... the soundeffect.lua that fails the consistency-check in your screenshot isnt even present in my lua-folder... i havent tried playing yet so im a little worryied.
    is it present in your lua-folder?(X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\lua)

edit: maybe its a steam setting, like if you are opted into a beta build or a "launch setting"
    inside of my ns2 folder (steamapps/common/naturalselection2/ns2), there was a file called .hashes . deleting this seemed to have caused my game to roar into life, recompiling shaders and generally doing it's thing.

I could play last stand mod, but I still cannot play normal servers.
    @Venatos, I do not have any launch settings, I did opt into a beta a while ago but opted out as no one was playing it.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    I dont know how fast/slow your internet is. But im sure its faster than waiting for an possible solution here.
    After reinstall dont change any gamerelated files. Voila
    edited April 2013
    no, I am not waiting the 2 weeks or so to redownload ns2. Besides, this is a real issue that needs solving without requiring a reinstall. There's a bug somewhere in ns2 that needs to be found and squashed.
    Im just wondering that you already downloaded the patch. With ISDN 64kb it should take 24hrs to download.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    You seems to modify your files of NS2 directly in the game folder. Never ever do that or you can have tons of problems. The mods are there for that.

Try to delete the files you opened/modified, and verify the cache of NS2 with Steam.
  • BluPickleBluPickle Aix-En-Provence, France Join Date: 2013-02-07 Member: 182881Members
    I 've the same problem. I do a personal crosshair for myself and it didn't work with the 246 build. Verify game cache, and you will be able to play, but with the default crosshair. Now i'm trying to put my crosshair on the workshop.
    ... of course I verified the game cache, do I have to quote myself?
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    Of course I have verified the integrity of my game cache, this is not solving the problem either.

So you never ever change some files in your game folder?

Btw. do i have to quote myself? Just reinstall the game if nothing helps.
    The "i have to wait 2 weeks" thing is nonsense, sorry
    sure, 2 weeks is an exaggeration, but for those of us with bad internet it's still annoying.
    Well, you ask for help, fine.

How about answer the simple question: Did you change something in the gamefolder?
    If so, you have the answers for your problem in this thread.
    if I changed something, shouldn't steam's verification of the game cache find it? To answer your question, I don't think so. I'll try deleting more small file size folders.
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    I had weird issues in 245 build, some of my lua files were failing in consistency and verify didn't fix that .. You should remove that whole "lua" folder and verify your cache. Verify doesn't always work and I can confirm that. Consistency seems to be a little weird, it seems that "ignore" doesn't work in consistency.json

Edit.
    Well consistency does work but ignore needs more info.. If you want to ignore crosshair check then you cant just use "crosshair.dds"
    Working one: "*crosshair.dds" or "ui/crosshair.dds"
    I just deleted my core lua file and my ns2 lua file and verified. Still not working. Acutally, I deleted the whole core folder.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2013
    Sometimes Steam does not upgrade certain game files correctly when patching, which may be causing you to have issues with file consistency.

If you managed to download the NS2 patch overnight, you should be able to get NS2 in a couple days at most if you have bad internet.

I would suggest deleting the game from steam. Then deleting any leftover ns2 folders in your Steam directory(s). Then delete all Natural Selection 2 folders in your C:\Users\YOURNAMEHERE\Appdata\Roaming\ folder. Then reboot your PC and re-download NS2 from scratch. You should be fine after that.

Edit: it may be worth backing up your Steam NS2 directory to a spare USB stick when you have it working in case you modify or it gets corrupted in future. Just a thought.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    I just deleted my core lua file and my ns2 lua file and verified. Still not working. Acutally, I deleted the whole core folder.
    I think everyone here was talking about the ns2/lua folder, not the core/lua folder.
  • Rosc0Rosc0 Join Date: 2013-01-15 Member: 179770Members
    edited April 2013
    Same issue here (i haven't played 246 yet; no problem before so i think it started when the game was patched).

No problem here to reinstall the whole game, but if you need some information first to debug the issue i can wait.

I have tried to disable all mods, remove the workshop directory and verify the steam cache. I haven't touched anything in the gamefolder.

EDIT: as suggested i have tried to delete the ns2/lua folder and it worked: now i can connect to the official UWE server without problems
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    if I changed something, shouldn't steam's verification of the game cache find it? To answer your question, I don't think so. I'll try deleting more small file size folders.

No. Verifiying through steam just downloads what is missing.. it does not delete extra files.
    So.. either single out the exact file(s) you have modified, (sound effect) delete it, and then re verify...

OR do the fullproof thing and reinstall..
    And in the future never directly modify files.. use workshop :)
  • TechnIckSTechnIckS Join Date: 2007-01-14 Member: 59616Members
    Try this: toggle steam cloud setting storage off/on/off a couple times. leave it off. erase ns2 appdata folder one last time. now try to join a server.

Did it work?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    1. Delete lua/SoundEffect.lua
    2. Verify cache
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow