Should the Pistol be changed?

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I want a revolver, high dmg, low ROF.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    I want a revolver, high dmg, low ROF.

Only if it comes with a quick draw holster and twirling action, see you space cowboy!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited April 2013
    yeah i want a deagle, 1 hit on skulks

but no the pistol is fine, raise the damage and it will replace the lmg
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Do I smell a mod?

given the current mechanics of the pistol it would be really weird to see a rapid fire 10 shot revolver :P
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    edited April 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    it can only be used to finish off aliens, not kill them

Ummm - very wrong. Ive lost many a Skulk to half a pistol clip.
  • yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members
    Melancor wrote: »
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    it can only be used to finish off aliens, not kill them

Ummm - very wrong. Ive lost many a Skulk to half a pistol clip.
    not to mention sniping with it. awesome lerk hunting weapon.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    On the one hand, pistol scripting is a marginally common occurrence that needs to be addressed.

On the other hand, NS is the game that introduced me to rapid fire pistoling, and I believe it to be a fundamental skill when using the weapon.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    |strofix| wrote: »
    On the one hand, pistol scripting is a marginally common occurrence that needs to be addressed.

On the other hand, NS is the game that introduced me to rapid fire pistoling, and I believe it to be a fundamental skill when using the weapon.

Surely that was a typo strofix and you meant to say CS introduced you to rapid fire pistols...

Pistol scripting is indeed an issue, I have played against some bloody good gamers over my years but none could replicate the speed and consistency that scriptors do.
    Pistol scripting usage (and 3.x aka the rise the the combat) was one of the things that turned me off NS.

It needs to be capped to something realistic...and not something that can be circumvented by changing weapons between shots (a way I would try to get around any default ROF cap...and also I believe how pistol rollers used to get around it in CS for AWP reload time).

Either that or reduce the clip size but allow marines to carry more clips so they cant get off more than 5-6 shots without reloading...which would help reduce benefit of a script.

• current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    As I understand it the ROF cap is .1 seconds yet we see Pistol scripts emptying a whole clip in less then .3 seconds. Fix the supposed .1 second ROF cap and see where things stand.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like the idea up top, where there should be a weapon from the armoury to replace pistol, not sure how it would work in game or what it could be.

That said though pistol is working as it is and shouldn't be changed
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Do I smell a mod?
    Arent you a mod? Stop sniffing yourself, horsie.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    He means a mod with weapons, what Kouji_San and Squishpoke where talking about
  • pnb84pnb84 The house on paper street Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183262Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Since I'm not a big fan of peashooters as what we currently have as a sidearm, I would also like to see something different (not a replacement, but something else you can equip from the armory once researched). Adding to the presented ideas of a revolver, perhaps giving it limited range and a small magazine - with a long reload time would keep it fairly balanced and not too OP.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What if the pistol was given a secondary fire mode, which was fully automatic?

Yeah. They could make one mode automatic with light damage and the other mode (capped) semi automatic with heavy damage and a cool red laser beam. That would be cool... :)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @_necro_ lol... sounds so familiar
  • pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Half the fire rate and double the damage. We already have one full auto weapon (the assault rifle) we don't need a defacto second one.

Pistol doesn't have a fire rate at the moment. I think pistol should be permanently in 'laser-sight' mode from NS1 and early NS2 builds, which may be what you are suggesting.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A slower firing pistol would give a great excuse to show off that kickass Luger action on the rear of the gun. The "Ye Olde Gun Tips Back" animation we have right now leaves much to be desired. And it would help solve that issue of pistol scripting.

For those who wonder what the hell I'm talking about, either search for information on the Luger P08 pistol, or buy the Deluxe Edition upgrade for NS2.
    out of curiosity what mice do most of you use?
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    ^if you're implying mouse clicking speed is dependent on what kind of mouse you have, you would be atleast partially correct. I can click almost twice as fast with my razer salmosa korean edition, than with my razer abyssus. The click actuation force can be vastly different from mouse to mouse. Which is mostly why I can't bring myself to view the whole thing as skill. :|
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    yuckfoo wrote: »
    out of curiosity what mice do most of you use?

RAT 7... sadly it looks like it's not going to live long enough to see its third birthday.
    ^if you're implying mouse clicking speed is dependent on what kind of mouse you have, you would be atleast partially correct. I can click almost twice as fast with my razer salmosa korean edition, than with my razer abyssus. The click actuation force can be vastly different from mouse to mouse. Which is mostly why I can't bring myself to view the whole thing as skill. :|
    Hmm korean edition. That mouse just sounds like it gets 300 apm sitting on the mouse pad idle haha. I cannot get my pistol to shoot as fast as almost everyone else that i see daily....but am using a logitech g400 so I wonder if that might have something to do with it.
    RAT 7... sadly it looks like it's not going to live long enough to see its third birthday.
    noooooooo!! :(
  • kendopekendope Join Date: 2013-04-06 Member: 184663Members
    i hate it when people tell me i script.. Its not hard to shoot a pistol guys.. i can empty a whole clip in 0.5 secs especially when I'm being under pressure. All they need to do is increase the reload rate imo.
    kendope wrote: »
    i hate it when people tell me i script.. Its not hard to shoot a pistol guys.. i can empty a whole clip in 0.5 secs especially when I'm being under pressure. All they need to do is increase the reload rate imo.
    What kind of a mouse do you use? I am in the market for a new one.

• ezayezay Join Date: 2013-03-11 Member: 183899Members
    edited April 2013
    kendope wrote: »

I would really like to see some proof of that. I just tried to test my clicking speed with http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/554667 and I did 6.1 clicks per second average. You're saying you can do 20 per second. Since world's record is at 15, I REALLY want to see that.

Just out of curiosity, I tried another time by holding the mouse down with one hand and using the finger-toward-button method we used as childs to win at silly Olympics video game (see what I mean ?): I did 9.3 average. So I'll just go ahead and say that you're just making up stuff. 20 per seconds is not human.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester

I am on my second one... the first one apparently didn't like being thrown against a wall. All in all, great mouse. :D
    ezay wrote: »
    I would really like to see some proof of that. I just tried to test my clicking speed with http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/554667 and I did 6.1 clicks per second average. You're saying you can do 20 per second. Since world's record is at 15, I REALLY want to see that.

Just out of curiosity, I tried another time by holding the mouse down with one hand and using the finger-toward-button method we used as childs to win at silly Olympics video game (see what I mean ?): I did 9.3 average. So I'll just go ahead and say that you're just making up stuff. 20 per seconds is not human.

I was able to get 5.5 on this dell pos work mouse...I cant even come close to what most people seem to shoot at in- game based off of the sounds of the pistol....
  • kendopekendope Join Date: 2013-04-06 Member: 184663Members
    edited April 2013
    ok maybe I'm a bit over exaggerating. I averaged around 8.05 on that. For some odd reason, a lot of players in the ns community think its hard to empty a clip. Its like if i empty my clip in 3 seconds its ok, but if i empty my clip in 1.5-2 secs i get called a pistol scripter? I even got banned from 3 servers just because people accused me of pistol scripting.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/554667

Tried this game and got 8.6 average using only my right hand on the mouse. But the speed decreased consiterably after going over the 10 sec mark.

I agree that the current fire rate should be decreased slightly but I think the pistol should not go automatic. I always loved how ns pistol works, its really fun to press the button as fast as you can in the situations that call for it. Even so some players decide to use scripts I think a fun mechanic like this should not be removed.

But if players really hate the possability of scripting then changing the pistol to a automatic weapon would be the simplest solution :(.