Join Combat: The trailer that needs you! - Natural Selection 2

13»

Comments

• |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    No one is forcing you to participate. It's not a ploy.

Some people can and do run the game at the highest settings, it makes sense that they'd want to show off the game at its best. By the same token, they also want footage of people doing awesome stuff in game, which is another qualifier that not everyone can meet and I don't see you complaining about that. What would the point be of slapping together a trailer of poor gameplay at low resolutions and crappy quality settings? They want to showcase what the game is capable of, in its ideal form.

Do you also send angry letters to car manufacturers for making commercials that are also epitomized? They're so douchey for making sure those cars are sparkly clean and driven by professionals. Really they should all be hours-long montages of sitting in stop and go traffic, because that's more representative of the day to day experience for most drivers.

I don't play combat and I don't care about this trailer, but Hugh is not asking for anything unreasonable here. Players who can pull off awesome stunts while recording with eyecandy turned up will contribute, and all you have to do is sit back and enjoy the product of their combined hard work.

No one is happy about the performance issues, UWE has acknowledged it and stated over and over that they are working to improve it all the time. If anyone is being passive aggressive here it's you, jumping into a tangential conversation to call Hugh names and complain about a known problem while they are merely asking for volunteers who are capable to pitch in.

Get over yourself.
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    And to be clear, I'm not some starry-eyed UWE fanboy either, but Hugh is one of the nicest guys I've ever met and I think you're barking up the wrong tree by making personal attacks against him when he's been perfectly civil.

I have my own laundry list of things I want fixed or decisions UWE has made that I strongly disagree with, but I try to offer my suggestions and criticisms as constructively as possible. What good does it do anyone to be a jerk about it?
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    Here is some footage we ( OAG clan ) recorded yesterday http://www.filedropper.com/oldassgamerscombatscene
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Jibrail wrote: »
    Here is some footage we ( OAG clan ) recorded yesterday http://www.filedropper.com/oldassgamerscombatscene
    I hope you don't mind, but I upload your footage to YouTube so its easier for people to quickly browse it (and because Scene 3 is awesome):
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    edited April 2013
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    I hope you don't mind, but I upload your footage to YouTube so its easier for people to quickly browse it (and because Scene 3 is awesome):

PLEASE don't tell me that is 30 fps, because that absolutely looks like 60+. There is NO way that 30 fps can look that smooth, because 30 fps for me is a sh*tlagfest. Even 40-50 fps doesn't look THAT GOOD and SMOOTH for me.
    edit. fraps shows 30-35 fps on that, which I still don't believe. Fraps, don't bullsh*t a bullsh*tter.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    YouTube caps out at 30fps.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Fule wrote: »

PLEASE don't tell me that is 30 fps, because that absolutely looks like 60+. There is NO way that 30 fps can look that smooth, because 30 fps for me is a sh*tlagfest. Even 40-50 fps doesn't look THAT GOOD and SMOOTH for me.
    edit. fraps shows 30-35 fps on that, which I still don't believe. Fraps, don't bullsh*t a bullsh*tter.
    Original file details are:
    Width = 1280
    Height = 720
    Data rate = 8919kbps
    Total bitrate = 9064kbps
    Frame rate = 60 fps

YouTube obviously caps videos at 30fps, but I typically find that 60fps -> 30fps looks smoother than 30fps -> 30fps.
    edited April 2013
    I don't mind at all ScardyBob I'm glad you like it, we where trying to get something funny and has a less serious tone in there, maybe something to put at the end of the trailer.
    Thanks to the guys at OAG and Poofighter for capturing it with his beast rig.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Scene 2. LOL Gorges shooting range of death.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I thought clip length should be 4 seconds max?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Koruyo wrote: »
    post1393.jpg
    Time is ...
    OAG time changes as your age :)

• EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter

Kids these days, always whizzing about with their 60 second minutes.
    In my day we made a second last for TWO seconds! And we spent that extra second going uphill in the snow!
    EgoGamer wrote: »

Kids these days, always whizzing about with their 60 second minutes.
    In my day we made a second last for TWO seconds! And we spent that extra second going uphill in the snow BOTH WAYS!
    Fixed :)
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Just of ceriousity, there where a part of me wanting to increase the quality size up to 75 000 kb's which would increase the video quality to outstanding details. but I'm not sure if youtube could ever handle that.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You know how big of a file that would be? That alone makes it not worth it.
  • LatherLather Join Date: 2013-04-28 Member: 185036Members
    It is really hard to get some "interesting" footage within 4 seconds and i had a terribly hard time playing in such a low resolution >.<
    But mission success! 4 clips with right resolution bit rates whatnot!

• sai tyrussai tyrus Join Date: 2012-09-17 Member: 159754Members
    edited April 2013
    Here's my take. Dolled up from the perspective of a fanboy. Copies available to Hugh and the team will just be the clips included and not the "additional" content.

• eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
    edited April 2013
    So I was testing my recording settings when I stumbled on this cheater (Steam ID: 11685468 : STEAM_0:0:5842734):

You can see the aimbot at the begging with the fade he attacks without seeing it and at the end with his exo spining and killing everything, I did a sv_status at the end to show his steam id
    I could use some help with OBS and HandBrake if someone could give me the best settings.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    The aimbot didn't help him kill that skulk. At the beginning I could hear fade foot steps so he wouldve been able to predict the movement too.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    ...If you don't think that's an aimbot I don't know what help there is for you.
  • eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
    I've found that he has been reported twice on http://ns2bans.com

• Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Lol I just remembered this for some reason, did anything actually come of it?

I thought we were going to get a trailer for some upcoming big update to combat, i was hoping to see a build menu and extra levels or something cool...
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    NECROOOOOO NEEEEECRRROOOOOO

good...good... let the essence of the dead thread flow through you... *evil laughter*
    So anyway what was the point in this then?
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, So what did happen?
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited October 2013
    We have been wondering the same thing, since our team haven't heard anything back in a while we gave up on the idea and just went ahead and canceled it.
    We appreciate the time and effort you all have put into this and we apologize if we wasted your time.
    No it's cool not you guys fault, thanks for all the hard work on combat!

Cough *buildmenu*, cough... ;)