Why dont structures generate sounds anymore?

Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
Why was this removed? Crags, hives, phase gates use to generate sounds, you can here it in this video Build 178

notice the crevice wind sounds @0:20, crags breathing sound effect @1:00 , hive breathing effect@1:00, you can hear the room generator sounds like a generator, the fan in vent actually spins and generates sound, phase gate vibration sound effect can be heard @ 2:25.

why reduce the sounds in the game? reason why im asking is because i find that in build 178 based on this video seems much more atmospheric then current build, imo atmosphere is severely lacking in this game, probably due to the lack of sounds

so what do you think is the reason that the devs removed these sounds?

p.s i also think arcs in this video sound cooler

Comments

• soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    dude you're right. I like those sounds... those could easily be a toggle option for those that don't like em.

side note: i sorted videos by date and watched a build 162 patch video... my how far the game has come!
  • LústLúst Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178186Members
    edited April 2013
    2:05 Wait Drifers turn into buildings? Do want.
    3:15 Guns used to have upgrades?
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    not sure whats not to like, competitive maps have ALL sounds removed, why cant just regular public maps have all sounds enabled to increase atmosphere/fun? i was always wondering how i got sucked into the world of ns2 during the beta, i always thought it was because the lighting quality was reduced (i get why, for performance), but it seems like the sounds being removed was actually the part that threw the atmosphere out.
    Lúst wrote: »
    yes, during a certain time in the beta, drifters were required to build buildings, sort of like drones in starcraft
  • CataclyzmCataclyzm Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33031Members
    Lúst wrote: »
    3:15 Guns used to have upgrades?

When drifters were used to "build" buildings it did add an atmospheric element to the game providing an explanation to where the alien structures came from. The issues was in practice, it was a very tedious mechanic. In part, this was due to the cumbersome interface. With a more polished and refined click feedback it may have been possible for this mechanic to remain. Ultimately, I do not know the exact reasons it was removed, but I prefer it that way. However, it is argued now that the alien commander has less to do... but, that is only if you aren't actively scouting with your drifters and providing intel to your team.

The gun upgrades were removed primarily for balance reasons. The developers felt that there was no reason to purchase an upgrade for the stock LMG. This was manifested in numerous matches where the marines would purchase the GL upgrade to their LMG and spam the grenades. Any approaching skulks were still met with 50 rounds per player. Instead, the developers prefer that each weapon fill a particular role and have a trade off from the others.

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Quite a bit of beta nostalgia in that video. Heliport, GL as a rifle add-on, and gorge infestation.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Agreed, I'd like to see these sounds return too. With an option to switch 'em off.
    not sure whats not to like, competitive maps have ALL sounds removed, why cant just regular public maps have all sounds enabled to increase atmosphere/fun? i was always wondering how i got sucked into the world of ns2 during the beta, i always thought it was because the lighting quality was reduced (i get why, for performance), but it seems like the sounds being removed was actually the part that threw the atmosphere out.

The sound is what really hooked me in NS1. Especially that distant creaking effect that sounded almost like the wail of a beast.
    I think gl/shotgun/flame upgrade could have been balanced. Like Gl having 1 shot or something. Right now the GL and Flamer are pretty useless and the shotgun seems to powerful. Flamers have there uses but they are too nitch, similar with GLs. I don't think I have ever won a game because of a GL. Flamers are terrable for killing lerks/fades and are outshines at killing ultras by the shotgun.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Those ARCs are so much cooler
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    I'll never understand why people who did not play the beta insist on bringing back terrible feature that just didnt work
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, that sound they made sure was a terrible feature...
    Sure the drifter one is kind of bad with the say com handles right now. But I would still like to see weapon upgrades.
  • KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    Atmospheric sounds would be a welcome addition. I was wondering about this myself a while ago...
  • StreidominatingStreidominating Join Date: 2010-04-09 Member: 71236Members
    Wow, would be really cool to have all those sounds. Why was it removed? Can anyone explain?
    Wow, would be really cool to have all those sounds. Why was it removed? Can anyone explain?

yes, i would like to hear it from a dev, why it was removed, and if they are working on brand new sounds for these things?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    I miss the original summit, it was so much more fun. :(
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    I want that arc fire sound back - it sounds SO good, that sonic sound of destruction.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    EgoGamer wrote: »
    The sound is what really hooked me in NS1. Especially that distant creaking effect that sounded almost like the wail of a beast.

You can still hear that wonderful crumbling structure all the way from NS1 in Courtyard on Docking.
  • Kei-chanKei-chan Join Date: 2013-01-20 Member: 180898Members
    I, for one, am all for atmospheric building sounds making a return as a client toggle.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Yes please. Armospheric sounds are great. :)

I never understood the need to make bland maps for competitive play. Id say, see it as a skill to adapt to more live surroundings.
    If a sound goes with a huge Pssssh sound and you see the marine scare for a second, ambush him. Id call it a well done use of effects.
    Every time I may be slightly interested in going competitive, I remember they also have bland maps and just stop caring.
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    yeah i need to ask too... why was the sounds remove?
  • 2d0x2d0x Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184030Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    why the sounds have been removed? the game looks much more atmospheric
    if it is because of competitive play - why not make the option to turn on \ off in the settings?
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    As long as I can disable the annoying wurrs and buzzes, whatever.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    lwf wrote: »
    You can still hear that wonderful crumbling structure all the way from NS1 in Courtyard on Docking.

I don't know how I missed that! Awesome!
    alot of people bring up competitive play, but to be honest, that should not be an excuse, every competitive game i play in is on the NSL version of, veil, descent, tram, etc, which have alot of lights removed for performance and every single atmospheric sounds removed to the point where the whole map is dead silence, to say they removed some sounds in the regular versions then made an NSL version of the map just boggles my mind
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    i totally agree, sounds are missing and need a comeback... and yes! make it toggle-able for competitive players or wannabes. --> Everyone will be happy.

One special thing that really bugs me: The Onos Bar.
    What should be (Promise of Build 236); watch at 0:48:

...the multiple tracks never made it into the public release, instead the tracks have been completely removed. :(
    This was requested by several competitive players... as far as i can remember.
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    edited April 2013
    Sounds and atmospherics suck. Totally. Also get rid of all props unless they provide hard cover, if approved by the competitive scene. And last not least, enable wireframe rendering for map geometry.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Melancor wrote: »
    Sounds and atmospherics suck. Totally. Also get rid of all props unless they provide hard cover, if approved by the competitive scene. And last not least, enable wireframe rendering for map geometry.
    Yeah, bring sounds back or just remove everything from the game :P

• soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    just make it a toggle. Those that like it can keep it on (me), others (competitive?) can turn it off if they wish.
    sooo i was playing NSL version of a map where i was guarding a power phase gate and yes, the phase gates do have the same sound as in the video, but its so hard to hear its insane,

the sound is present its just very very quiet, atleast for phase gates