Experiencing Keyboard and Mouse "Ghosting" recently

Lev SteelLev Steel Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162274Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited April 2013 in Technical Support
Hey Folks!

Recently from time to time during a game i experience some of my input commands not beeing executed by NS2.
It feels very similar to the well known keyboard-ghosting, where when you press too many keys at a time, the commands are not all executed.
The only difference is, that my mouse also seem to be affected from time to time. Not all my turnings are always fully executed. So if i do a 180° turn, it only does maybe 120° for example.
These mailfunctions are rare, so when i try to reproduce it everything works just fine, all input commands are executed, even when i press 4-5 keys at once.
But... when it happens... as you can imagine... you all know murphy, right? (already lost a fade in a PCW because of this, since i "got stuck" in a cornor for about 0.5 sec) :-/

I did not experienced this before, just for about two weeks now. (when it happened first, i just thought, it was my own fault, took a while to really proove to myself that it was not just me)

Anybody experiencing similar problems recently or in the past?

Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4 (with Anti-Ghosting)
Mouse: Logitech G500 @ 1300 DPI (ingame sens 2), all Accelerations off, Raw Input on
All directly plugged into seperate USB2 Ports directly on the mainboard (only got 2 on the back, the rest is USB3)
No extra mouse/keyboard drivers or software running.

Comments

• Lev SteelLev Steel Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162274Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    I tried to unplug all other USB Devices.
    Also got my old Steelseries 6G Keyboard out again and have it connected via PS2 now.
    Did not help so far :-/

Also, someone else in my clan just reported the same issue, so i finally think, it must be game-related somehow.

I propably try a full re-installation of my system in the next few days if it stays like that.
  • Me9aMe9a Join Date: 2008-03-27 Member: 63981Members
    i had the same and pushed it on my bad mainboard and slow pc but apprently i didnt maked sense since it didnt happend on other games (for example ns1) so it has something to do with ns2 its like you walking forward jump and try to press forward left right and it dosnt response.

i guess its since the last patch cause inb4 i didnt had that problem.
  • Lev SteelLev Steel Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162274Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Makes us 3 so far... and prolly a lot of others, that (like you and me in the start) just blamed themselves for bad movement from time to time... need to keep the topic alive then...
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    My guess is your keyboard isn't anti ghosting enough, when in USB you can never anti ghost completely.

As for your mouse, check if there's any cat hair in there... I'm serious, cat hair can really stuff things up.
    edited April 2013
    Got no cat or other small pets... and my dog does not enter the room i'm playing in. Mouse is totally Clean. As i said it happens very rarely on the Mouse.
    For my Keyboard i can just repeat, that i already tried 2 Anti-Ghosting Keyboards (the 6G does not even have any limit) and it is connected via PS2 already...
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Is this only happening with NS2 - can you play other games and it works?

Also please run techsupport.exe in your NS2 steam folder, and follow it's instructions.
  • MyOwnOwnerMyOwnOwner Join Date: 2010-01-09 Member: 70006Members
    edited April 2013
    +1 - have the same issue here... Cant say if the problem is with the mouse the same, but it seems like my keayboard input sometimes doesnt work. In one game I lost a fade, cause my "W" key was not working.
    I don't think, that I can blame my keayboard for this (http://www.logitech.com/de-de/product/wireless-illuminated-keyboard-k800) - it is only 1 year old... I donot have this problem in other games like warsow, where I would also see/feel it directly, if my input wouldn't work. Btw. I am cleaning my input devices minimum once a month...

Usually this issue occurs in mid to late game, mostly in combat situations, if it helps to find the reason behind it.(I know how this sounds...)
    Also interesting to note: The error showed up after the latest patch. Before that, it was just "my fault" to loose fades :)
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Is this only happening with NS2 - can you play other games and it works?

Also please run techsupport.exe in your NS2 steam folder, and follow it's instructions.
    There are no other games besides NS2! (at least right now) ^^

I did start techsupport, email just went out.

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    welcome to keyboards and mouses on usb. :)

a quick rundown.
    ps/2 connects with irq and receives no slowdowns or input problems whatsoever. In this regard it is your best choice.

usb mouse & keyboard require polling. Basicly this is a x amount of times per second the cpu asks the usb port for info. (or the usb port giving the info, but something along those lines. you can look it up yourself).
    Main point is a higher polling rate = faster refresh but higher cpu cost.
    USB 2.0 can also not update a high amount of keystrokes. To combat this some manufacturers make your keyboard apear as 2 keyboards to combat this a bit.

The amount of keystrokes prosessed a second is key rollover. NKRO is the best version for it and ps/2 usually runs on NKRO. Anything lower will make you lose keystrokes if you are fast enough.

So basicly reinstall keyboard drivers and hope. :)
    If you got ps/2, use it.. Bigger chance it will work but your best off looking for a NKRO keyboard.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    My guess is your keyboard isn't anti ghosting enough, when in USB you can never anti ghost completely.

As for your mouse, check if there's any cat hair in there... I'm serious, cat hair can really stuff things up.

Not entirely entirely true about USB, I have an N-Key rollover keyboard that uses USB, most of the time though yea, you need to use PS2 to get it. Even though I have N-Key rollover, it probably still isn't "as good" as PS2 would be, in some way that I don't understand.

The number of times I've had a dog hair on the laser and the mouse goes spastic...
  • FarrenFarren Join Date: 2005-03-13 Member: 45065Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    We saw a similar issue to this in the early Gorgeous playtests, where mouse input seemed to be not as responsive as it should have been and later we realized that it was skipping some split-seconds of movement. The issue was only really visible on one playtest and was fixed within a day or two. Never noticed it on the keyboard, and haven't noticed it since that day. I'm not even sure who fixed it or how, but don't be so fast to blame USB polling! It's VERY easy to miss, especially in a firefight, so you sort of have to test for it in a control situation to see if its even happening.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @ghosthree3
    then your keyboard should technicly be installed twice as I already said. :) Thats a way to somewhat cheat the limitation.
    ps/2 is always better in terms of speed because it has a interrupt. hardware interrupts interrupt whatever the cpu is doing to let itself go first.

usb does not interrupt the cpu to cut in line, but waits its turn (the polling rate).

Due to the hardware interrupts, ps/2 can also often respond with keyboard shortcuts when a system hangs & usb keyboards fail to react.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I didn't have to install any drivers. Worked as soon as I plugged it in, did it "install twice" off windows drivers? (or they got fetched I dunno)
    edited April 2013
    Im not sure. From what i gathered from my fellow dutch tweakers / techies who spend a lot more time on it all, is that it should be installed twice. (as in 2 devices)
    If not you are not running nkro and probably should check that. :p

hard for me to test as mine is ps/2. (but its old so im not sure if mine is nkro either hehe)
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    I'm having these issues with my keyboard as well. It appears to only happen on stats with NS2Stats so I think it has something to do with NS2Stats. Also, I don't have a mechanical keyboard so there is that difference. Another teammate of mine is having the same problem.

Never had this issue until recently and it's the only game that does it. So all the people saying USB is the issue...no. It's either the game or the mod NS2Stats.
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    I have received an email from another player who has reported this issue. If it is related to a mod like NS2 Stats, there probably isn't a whole lot we can do about it but I would love to see a server log from one of these servers when this is happening to people. If somebody can get me that, +16 "Murphy Points (tm)" are yours.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited April 2013
    Someone mentioned their mouse wasn't acting properly, but that was on a server with only balance test.

I've yet to have any issues, if it's of any interest I'm using a mechanical keyboard in my ps/2 slot, and a usb mouse in a usb 2.0 slot in the rear panel. I don't have ns2stats installed as a mod
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I can also vouch for this keyboard issue. Several of my friends are experiencing similar problems. Nothing with the mouse but like OP's post, it feels like a keyboard ghosting issue. Randomly my "w" key wont work or any other WASD keys which usually results in my losing my fade since I'm jumping up and down without moving lol.

As for when it happens, I am unaware if it is only NSStats servers. I will keep an eye out.
  • PyroguyPyroguy Waltham MA USA Join Date: 2013-12-11 Member: 190004Members
    edited December 2013
    I have recently gotten this issue. I have tried reinstalling the game, clearing my settings, nothing seems to fix it. The game will play fine and then at seemingly random times the keyboard and/or the mouse input won't work, or will be slow/unresposive/buggy. Sometimes my player will get stuck and randomly strafe around, but the mouse works fine. Sometimes the mouse sensitivity cuts in half or something weird like a stun grenade in CoD. It is intermittent, after some time it will randomly fix and then break again.

NS2 is the only game with the issue. I also play TF2, Planetary Annihilation, CS:GO, Red Orchestra 2, Planetside 2, none of those games have the issue.

This obviously makes the game unplayable.
  • PyroguyPyroguy Waltham MA USA Join Date: 2013-12-11 Member: 190004Members
    Solved it for myself. I forgot I had been running Synergy, it's a kb/m sharing software for multiple desktops. For whatever reason it doesn't play nice with NS2. Turned it off and everything is peachy.