Anecdotes: soulcrushing mistakes of first time comms

amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
Let's go with no names, and share your personal horror stories. Ambiguous trolls are allowed. I'll go first.

no response to initial inquiries of "have you ever commed before? can you hear me? please respond in some fashion comm." both written and spoken. guy grabs a couple rts, goes shift first, pretty standard stuff, though he's a bit slow on both counts. somewhere along the way, he decides that whips are a gift from the heavens and starts dropping them in the middle of res tower rooms... I don't know, to intimidate marines or something.

we start telling him to stop wasting res on whips, but to no avail. by this point we start asking for upgrades and he eventually drops a spur... a spur that he uses to get us adren... for the 7 skulks, 1 lerk and 1 gorge on the field...obviously we're stuck on one hive, so I ask for 10 minutes straight for celerity, meanwhile the guy is floating 50 res.

anyway, eventually he starts talking to us, and explains that it was difficult to hear us where he was at... which doesn't explain his not reading. eventually, he graciously decides to get me that celerity... 2 minutes before the giant exo push that wrecks our hive.

to sum up, noncomm comm, low res, whip drops, adrenaline only.

Comments

• halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    The worst mistakes of first time comms? Not using/having a mic to ask about stuff. Not knowing the game. Not trying commanding in explore mode first.

Learn the game before you even ever dare enter the comm chair. And if you do, use a mic. I'm happy to help out, but if you're clearly incompetent and aren't communicating, you will last about a minute before I get my team to eject you.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Armories and sentries at every rt/tp is something I see often with first time comms.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sentry spam is a big one, so is robotics lab first. New commanders seem to think that the robotics lab is the most important building. I've seen some drop it before dropping an armory. I guess this is probably because it enables sentry spam.

Once I had an alien comm on veil whose cyst chain was broken. We were in cargo and it was broken in system waypointing so essentially everything we controlled on the map, from sub up to overlook and over to nano, was cut off. We kept shouting at him to reconnect the cyst chain because there weren't any marines in system waypointing anymore, but he didn't do it. He didn't say anything. We lost everything we had. Eventually we kicked him (or he left, one or the other) and I jumped into the hive, fully expecting the game to end in about 2 minutes. Somehow, though, the marines were so bad that we actually managed to come back from it and still won.
  • BsychoBsycho Join Date: 2003-12-03 Member: 23900Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    - planting spurs and shells all over the corridors but no upgrades
    - 3 armslabs but no upgrades
    - weapon and armor 3, he sold the armslab: 'no need for research now, we have all the upgrades!' (didnt know if i should laugh or cry)
    - troll coms: puts 3 wips at start, then quits
    - researching exos or flamers before any weapon or armor ups
    - rolling those arcs straight into the enemy hive. 'those tanks dont do anything, they suck'
    - at start planting cysts all over the map, but no harvesters or upgrades. 'we had complete mapcontrol, why did we loose'
    - not replacing cysts AT ALL

usual stuff: no upgrades, using distress beacon without knowing what it does and so on
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    give me a story people, this is a thread to.commiserate over shared exasperation. I personally believe people shouldn't even hop into the chair until they've skilled for.a good hundred hours, I didn't until my 300th.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Turrets, "like in A-lee-uns, mang".
  • yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members
    Dropping hive first on one rt right at the start of the game. Damn near impossible to win, especially on large maps.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    "What is beacon?"
    "How do I beacon?"
    "PG??? Phase gate? ??? ??? ???" *time passes* "Ahh, teleport"
    "Jetpacks suck, we need exos"
    "I think we need 2 whips around our first planted RT"
    "Camo will secure a win for us!"
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    yuckfoo wrote: »
    Dropping hive first on one rt right at the start of the game. Damn near impossible to win, especially on large maps.

Actually I've seen that win before a few times... obviously only works if your skulks are actually decent and don't rush at marines to die.
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    amoral wrote: »
    I personally believe people shouldn't even hop into the chair until they've skilled for.a good hundred hours, I didn't until my 300th.
    New players should be encouraged to jump into the chair/hive as soon as possible.
    While I do agree that playing the game from the FPS perspective first will give you a better feel of the over-all gameplay and "flow", I've seen more than one player doing a good job as commander with very little time played before. Will their lose? Very likely. Will they learn? I dare say that depends to no small amount on the way the team reacts.
    Being new is not a "fault".

Ok, that out of the way, here's the story:
    We were playing on tram as Aliens and controlled much of the map, We simply out-skilled the Marine team and so it didn't matter too much that our commander was extremely slow. But she had voip and commhnicated with us, so we could push her into the right direction. After a while we had our hives in server room and warehouse, the Marines were pinned down in Shipping trying to get a hold in Repair room every know and again. We were swimming in res, a little over 200 team res. We told our com to drop the hive in Elevator which was well defended. However she dropped the hive in Repair Room... right in front of a Phase Gate, Armory and half the Marine Team. Hive went down in seconds. A moment later our commander drop the hive again in Repair Room. And again. And again until our team res were depleted. Our team was "wtf are you doing com?" and she answered "I try to drop the hive but it seems to be bugged, it despawns all the time". Half the team was bursting out laughing, the others were likely too perplexed to say anything. We gorge rushed Shipping shortly afterwards. Lots of explosions and dead marines. Happy end.
    Res wrote: »

Actually I've seen that win before a few times... obviously only works if your skulks are actually decent and don't rush at marines to die.

Definitely. I've seen it done to success as well...I believe there was 2 rt's though, def much more difficult with just 1 rt. The whole no floor skulking running straight towards marine LOS really helps secure the success of this strat.

A troll comm dropped the hive, spent all remain res on cysts in the main base just wasting them taking us to 0 res, then left. Took forever to spread out and claim rts, let alone get upgrades to compete with the opposition. They had 3 tech points quickly.
  • HypergripHypergrip Suspect Germany Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9689Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Solaris wrote: »
    We told our com to drop the hive in Elevator which was well defended. However she dropped the hive in Repair Room... right in front of a Phase Gate, Armory and half the Marine Team. Hive went down in seconds. A moment later our commander drop the hive again in Repair Room. And again. And again until our team res were depleted. Our team was "wtf are you doing com?" and she answered "I try to drop the hive but it seems to be bugged, it despawns all the time". Half the team was bursting out laughing, the others were likely too perplexed to say anything.
    That's the kind of user that types in the same password although the interface tells them "wrong password". Because "maybe the device is broken".

I've seen a commander during the free weekend who wasn't doing too bad on the Marine side. But as the game went on and became more hectic, he was getting more and more nervous. In the end we had a nice Exo train walking through their last hive, but also had 2 Oni rush our last base. it was very close but we had enough team resources. As we saw the com chair's health go down we told the commander to put new CCs in the other locations, that would have given us the few seconds we needed. Commander seems to have panicked, because the last thing we saw was 2 Armories, Robotics Factory, Phase Gate and 3 Observatories being dropped somewhere.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

With a bit of gorge coordination, thought this was a fairly common tactic on pipeline spawns?

• Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pipeline spawn doesn't really count though because if you don't drop a fast second hive you lose anyway. So you really have no alternatives.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester

With a bit of gorge coordination, thought this was a fairly common tactic on pipeline spawns?

In smaller servers yes works great for that spawn location. That tactic don't work the best on larger servers though.
    Hypergrip wrote: »
    We told our com to drop the hive in Elevator which was well defended. However she dropped the hive in Repair Room... right in front of a Phase Gate, Armory and half the Marine Team. Hive went down in seconds. A moment later our commander drop the hive again in Repair Room. And again. And again until our team res were depleted. Our team was "wtf are you doing com?" and she answered "I try to drop the hive but it seems to be bugged, it despawns all the time". Half the team was bursting out laughing, the others were likely too perplexed to say anything.
    That's the kind of user that types in the same password although the interface tells them "wrong password". Because "maybe the device is broken".

I've seen a commander during the free weekend who wasn't doing too bad on the Marine side. But as the game went on and became more hectic, he was getting more and more nervous. In the end we had a nice Exo train walking through their last hive, but also had 2 Oni rush our last base. it was very close but we had enough team resources. As we saw the com chair's health go down we told the commander to put new CCs in the other locations, that would have given us the few seconds we needed. Commander seems to have panicked, because the last thing we saw was 2 Armories, Robotics Factory, Phase Gate and 3 Observatories being dropped somewhere.

that's awesome and amusing. oh God oh God, where the hell is this comma chairthey keep talking about.
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    edited April 2013
    Dropping 2 extra ips right off the bat because of those OP skulk rushes. And then telling at least 3-4 people to stay in base in an 8v8.
    amoral wrote: »
    I personally believe people shouldn't even hop into the chair until they've skilled for.a good hundred hours, I didn't until my 300th.
    New players should be encouraged to jump into the chair/hive as soon as possible.
    While I do agree that playing the game from the FPS perspective first will give you a better feel of the over-all gameplay and "flow", I've seen more than one player doing a good job as commander with very little time played before. Will their lose? Very likely. Will they learn? I dare say that depends to no small amount on the way the team reacts.
    Being new is not a "fault".

Ok, that out of the way, here's the story:
    We were playing on tram as Aliens and controlled much of the map, We simply out-skilled the Marine team and so it didn't matter too much that our commander was extremely slow. But she had voip and commhnicated with us, so we could push her into the right direction. After a while we had our hives in server room and warehouse, the Marines were pinned down in Shipping trying to get a hold in Repair room every know and again. We were swimming in res, a little over 200 team res. We told our com to drop the hive in Elevator which was well defended. However she dropped the hive in Repair Room... right in front of a Phase Gate, Armory and half the Marine Team. Hive went down in seconds. A moment later our commander drop the hive again in Repair Room. And again. And again until our team res were depleted. Our team was "wtf are you doing com?" and she answered "I try to drop the hive but it seems to be bugged, it despawns all the time". Half the team was bursting out laughing, the others were likely too perplexed to say anything. We gorge rushed Shipping shortly afterwards. Lots of explosions and dead marines. Happy end.

it depends on my mood, whether or not I want to win, if its a greenie that jumps in, I kinda resign myself to losing. if its green comm vs green comm, I'm much happier with hand holding. that being said, if they don't type a reply to my initial inquiry, I lose patience very fast.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Total lack of communication from a comm (new or otherwise) is my only complaint if we aren't counting trolls.
  • SolidSpiderSolidSpider Join Date: 2013-04-14 Member: 184805Members
    One time, we asked our newbie commander to drop us (me and 2 others) an armory and RT in Cafeteria. He dropped an Arms Lab instead. He couldn't recognise the Armory from the commander HUD: lolz ensued.

I'm like: "That's not an Armory, that's-- uh... you know those cabinet-type things that give you health and stuff? *awkward silence*
    "The ones with, like- *drops the comm chair* "No, no, an Armory, look at your, uh... menu... thing *sigh*..."

(He got it right, eventually ^^)
    I remember really early in my experience, my team kept asking for crags, and we kept getting shells. think we ended up.with 3 extra shells that game... just randomly around rts.
    I remember as a new comm, getting confused... everytime I clicked on the armory, it kept starting shotgun research. also, a few times early on, I'd beacon, realiz it wasn't necessary, and accidentally recycled my PBS. fun times. hah, also for.a.bit there, I couldn't get the hotkeys for ammo and med packs straight... so my marines ended up as corpses floating amidst a sea of ammo packs.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    I had voice and recycle on the same hotkey for the first few days

that was extremely confusing
    biz wrote: »
    I had voice and recycle on the same hotkey for the first few days

that was extremely confusing

I did the exact same thing
    knowing that beacon is OP, but not knowing it requires a chair... been beaconed to control countless times as nano.fell.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    This one time on veil, the comm immediately dropped an armory in topo..then did nothing for another 30s. My response was pretty much "haha, oh wow".
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    "The ones with, like- *drops the comm chair* "No, no, an Armory, look at your, uh... menu... thing *sigh*..."

(He got it right, eventually ^^)

"We need phase to pipe"
    Builds CC. You know, BASE.
    I seem to see a lot of unnecessary phase gates being built at locations that do not require them. Zig zagging phase gate patterns really are annoying and make defending tech points that more difficult.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Getting res locked as alien. Yeah, I only did that the once.