Gas Powered Games - how the mighty have fallen

SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
I don't know if anyone has been watching this saga, but I have been since I used to work with Chris Taylor from Gas Powered Games. GPG is known for the Dungeon Siege series, (where I know Chris from) as well as the Supreme Commander series, Space Siege, Demigod and Age of Empires Online.

This once big studio had fallen to the point where they turned to kickstarter to find funding for a new project called Wildman. However they timed it badly (launching their campaign after Christmas) and so they had only received pledges for half of the $1 million they needed to get this title off the ground. After a huge wave of layoffs, Chris finally gave in and sold off the company to Wargaming.net (creator of World of Tanks) - although they will be keeping Chris on in some capacity.

What disturbs me about this is that the downfall of GPG started with the last major title they released, (Demigod) that had performance problems and a lack of a tutorial. (sound familiar?) They got hammered in the reviews, and so the title didn't do nearly as well as it needed to in order to go forward.

It just goes to show how fickle the gaming industry is. You can be on top of your game one year and then begging for handouts on kickstarter a couple years later.

Comments

• TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    I'd also say that the lack of an early release on Steam hurt them significantly, as far as Demigod went; requiring the use of that Stardock software (whatever it was named... can't remember as I'd uninstalled it years ago) definitely didn't do them any favors. Then there was the lack of balancing (anyone else remember going up against three Vladimirs EVERY FREAKING GAME for a few months there?).
    Supreme Commander always struck me as a C&C knockoff, rather than anything that stood well under its own IP. Played SupCom2 for a few days, until it annoyed me enough to take a break. I haven't bothered reinstalling it since then.

They had potential. They also screwed the pooch BADLY thanks to (mis-)management more often than not.
    Sadly, the ones who ruined it also likely still made a tidy profit in the end through the sale, while everyone else lost their jobs. Just the way 'executives' work. Even if they're lousy and ruin it for everyone, they still tend to get paid more (and more reliably) than those who actually produce things.
  • ParagonParagon Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167573Members
    C&C knockoff? Don't be ridiculous. Supreme Commander was de facto a sequel to the venerable Total Annihilation strategy game. If I recall correctly Chris Taylor was the lead designer of TA but didn't own the IP. Anyway, it's a shame to see Gas Powered go down.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited February 2013
    Honestly, their games weren't that good. That's probably why they failed. Their best game was, without a doubt, Supreme Commander. While SupCom was certainly... good... it wasn't great. It wasn't ground breaking. And as someone who likes RTS games, it hardly held my interest.

I literally never once heard of Space Siege, and again, i'm more than a typical casual gamer. I seek out content, reviews, press, etc. I totally missed that one.

Demigod sucked. I played it for about ~20ish hours and it was just a poorly through-out and poorly executed game.

AOE:Online; I'm not sure who's idea it was to turn AOE into a persistent online game. If it was their idea then it was a horrible decision. More than likely, I think they may have inherited a crappy idea and were told to make it work.

So yeah... moderate success with their first game and then consistent under-performance or failure thereafter. I wouldn't ever call GPG "mighty." At the same time, it's always a bad thing to see a developer go down. One less developer, one less group of people with jobs, dreams lost and destroyed... it sucks. I really felt bad when Ensemble Studios went down in 2009.

One thing that you and I would agree on, however, is that the games industry is incredibly fickle and, from what I've read, steady employment/job security is extremely rare. It was an article on The Penny Arcade Report, but in short, game development on AAA quality games consists of a 'core' team of about 10 to 15 people. These people do everything, concept, design, etc. The actual 'labor' is then done by a massive workforce that is temporarily hired. I think COD:MW2 was used as a reference in the article. Infinity Ward or whoever hired about 500 people to sit down and spit out the game. Once most of the actual content was finished, these individuals were let go. The core team remained, finished everything, shipped it.

Who wants to live a life like that? Having employment for maybe 8 months... with medical insurance, 401k employer match, and piece of mind all left up in the air. I wouldn't want to have a wife and kids and be a typical game developer.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    Paragon wrote: »
    C&C knockoff? Don't be ridiculous. Supreme Commander was de facto a sequel to the venerable Total Annihilation strategy game. If I recall correctly Chris Taylor was the lead designer of TA but didn't own the IP. Anyway, it's a shame to see Gas Powered go down.
    You are correct.

The TA IP was owned by Cavedog Entertainent, which was a subsidiary of some other company.
    Activision, I think.
    It's on Wikipedia, and I can't be arsed to look it up.

Supreme Commander was a spiritual successor to TA.
    In fact the guys who worked on SupCom/SupCom2 are making another RTS that's a spiritual successor to that, called Planetary Annihilation.
    Here's the kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    I know the queen of England that's who I know. Also I used to work with Bill Clinton, and Obongo is my best mate.

Name drop more m8.
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    Hard to say what supcom did wrong but I know for a fact I enjoyed TA:Spring more and the mechanics were identical to the original TA.
    Besides TA, Zero-Hour is probably the only other RTS game for which I still retain memories of really good battles.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Unfortunately, this is the nature of the game business. Most studios are only a couple of flops away from bankruptcy or (in this case) being bought out. The successful companies are typically the ones who figured out some sort of non-game (e.g. Steam for Valve) or regular payment systems (e.g. WoW for Blizzard).
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited April 2013
    I would imagine it has less to do with the games industry and more the general business model of developing a series of high-investment long-term projects. The same problem is inherent in films, the only reason filmmaking doesn't quite have it as bad is because it's a bigger industry so it's easier to find someone mad enough to fun your projects.

Though of course given the existence of kickstarter that is now true of games too.

Also digital distribution allows for a return to the old fashioned bedroom programming approach, where you don't make high investment projects, instead you make smaller, low budget projects which have a higher input-payoff ratio, as well as less risk upfront, which is why the indie market is really taking off lately.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    The ongoing crysis is a strong factor in all this. When your living costs are rising, your income stagnates of decreases, you have less and less to spend on leisure and toys. That shrinks potential markets for AAA titles that are risky and costly to develop.

I have seen demos of games cancelled in 2008 / 2009, some of them were fantastic, one fantasy fencing game in particular.

BTW Supreme commander was fantastic game mechanism-wise, autonomous units, complex commands, I thought RTS will evolve this way, but no, instead retarded obsoleteness that is Starcraft II triumphs with 15 years old gameplay.
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    Yeah, I can't understand how game mechanics developed 15 years ago could still be of interest to any modern day gamer! I hear some people still play this board game that only has 6 unit types! A board game in 2013! What a bunch of noobs ahahaha, more like bored-game amirite?

• Sinistral_on_SteamSinistral_on_Steam MA, USA Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Dungeon Siege was where it was at! I did notice GPG game kinda looked like the were going downhill after that though. :/ Have Demigod I recently got in a Humble Bundle (I believe) but haven't tried it yet.
  • baconbitsbaconbits Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180124Members
    Xyth wrote: »
    Yeah, I can't understand how game mechanics developed 15 years ago could still be of interest to any modern day gamer! I hear some people still play this board game that only has 6 unit types! A board game in 2013! What a bunch of noobs ahahaha, more like bored-game amirite?

I find returning to the "old mechanics" of older games to be quite refreshing actually. I'm personally really sick of these bland modern games coughing up clone sequels every year. But hey at least when call of duty 400 comes out grandparents will have something in common with the younger generations when they shit their pants for the latest gun camo's. I agree tho starcraft 2 sucks.